Band Aid 30

18910111214»

Comments

• zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    People give blood for free....start thinking outside the box.

But not everyone gives blood for free
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether for charity or not everyone isnt going to give anything away for free

So basically I think that Sarm West would have waived the studio costs because it was a charity.

And you think that Sarm West were heartless and took a hefty fee for the studio time.

Is that a fair summary?

I would bet my house that you are wrong on this.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not everyone gives blood for free

Everyone who donates to the NHS Blood and Transplant Service in the UK does it for free, and it's a more effective service than say in the US where there are payments.
    Transplant donation is not as popular but organs are donated for free as well.

The simple point is that people don't actually always act out of self interest,
    Emergencies being an example of where they might not.
    Ebola a case in point.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    So if you buy the Bandaid single where does the money go, if not to the charity?

I'm not sure that it actually is a charity as you or I would understand it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be, I believe it's a kind of administrative organisation which hands out sums to charities who apply for a donation.
    That's my vague understanding of it. Somebody else on here could probably offer a more accurate and detailed description of what it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, because I might be, I believe it's a kind of administrative organisation which hands out sums to charities who apply for a donation.
    That's my vague understanding of it. Somebody else on here could probably offer a more accurate and detailed description of what it is.

Sure - I get that. Its a Trust rather than a charity per se.

The point is that they get all the money (subject to the same normal operating costs that apply to any other charity).

But they almost certainly won't have, for example, had to pay Sarm West for the studio time, producers (did Horn do it again?) engineers etc.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Band Aid Charitable Trust is a properly constituted charity registered with The Charity Commission. It has all the legal status of any other charity and collects money through donations, sales of records, sales of DVDs etc. It doesn't directly carry out charitable activities itself but makes payments to other charities, like Action Aid, Christian Aid etc.

The last accounts available on the CC website show very little in the way of non-charitable expenditure and none of the trustees (which include Sir Bob) received any remuneration or reimbursed expenses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its not a shonky set up from which Geldof is fraudulently creaming off money into his own bank account after all?
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    So its not a shonky set up from which Geldof is fraudulently creaming off money into his own bank account after all?

Yup, course it is !
    (Points & laughs at those mugs who bought the song)