horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    me@homeme@home Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donut0742 wrote:
    Well surely all the people who have to shop at Evans or buy outsize clothes are also leading an unhealthy, unfit lifestyle that these shops also promote by stocking the clothes...so should these shops be closed down/boycotted too?

Good point.:cool:
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    dawn8 wrote:
    It's about time naturally slim women were catered for. I've found that sizes are getting bigger and bigger due to 'vanity sizing'. I used to just about fit into a size six (tight) and now it doesn't go anywhere near me. I've been the same weight for as long as I remeber so it's not down to me losing it.

I think obesity is much more of a problem in Britain and yet look at the sizes at that end of the scale that are available and have been for years but you don't hear anyone complaining about that.

I totally agree. Size 4 is probably what a size 8 was a few years ago.
  • Options
    risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 years ago a 10 was 34-24-34 and a woman of average height of about 8 stones maybe a little bit more or a bit less this would have been ok for them.
    Now in most stores those measurements are either a 6 or a very small 8. Some women in magazines now at 10 stones at average height say they can wear size 10 and some of them don't look slim.

The people who were a real 8 in non vanity sizes have been pushed down in the majority of stores probably to a 4 or a small 6.

Some people are that naturally that small but i can see the OP point as well.

Edited to add---just read the post above and is saying basically what i was saying.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote:
    I totally agree. Size 4 is probably what a size 8 was a few years ago.

I've recently slimmed from a size 14 to a size 8 - there is no way you can say I was actually a size 18 and have now slimmed to a 12 :o

Sizes differ from shop to shop anyway don't they?
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dress sizes are pretty contentious nowadays and vary from shop to shop. A size 10 can fit perfectly in one shop whilst either being too big or too small in another.
  • Options
    me@homeme@home Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote:
    Dress sizes are pretty contentious nowadays and vary from shop to shop. A size 10 can fit perfectly in one shop whilst either being too big or too small in another.

That's true. Sometimes a 10 is too small for me in Top Shop and I find their sizing to be very small in general and most things just don't fit me at all no matter what size they are. And I recently bought a Warehouse coat in Debenham's and a 10 was too small around the chest and I had to get a 12. M&S size 8 has often been too big for me.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote:
    I can't believe how much that size 4 is catered for by the shops nowadays.

Of course some people are just naturally very slim - but how did they manage to find clothes that fitted before the size 0-4s came in? A lot of the people who try to fit into this stuff are usually the ones who have dieted to extremes for the previous six months.

Children's clothes.

Not everything is suitable though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    I was probably a size 4 when I was that age, but I didn't have a problem with getting clothes that fit as I wasn't allowed to wear clothes aimed at young women anyway. There was no forced choice between adult or child as there were clothes ranges back then available for the teen market, places like Chelsea Girl and Benneton always had stuff for age groups between about 11 and 15 as did M&S, John Lewis etc..
    I think the problem isn't with the sizing, it's who it's being aimed at. 13 years olds shouldn't be encouraged to think of their body as an adult body - it's not.
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    maimou wrote:
    I was probably a size 4 when I was that age, but I didn't have a problem with getting clothes that fit as I wasn't allowed to wear clothes aimed at young women anyway. There was no forced choice between adult or child as there were clothes ranges back then available for the teen market, places like Chelsea Girl and Benneton always had stuff for age groups between about 11 and 15 as did M&S, John Lewis etc..
    I think the problem isn't with the sizing, it's who it's being aimed at. 13 years olds shouldn't be encouraged to think of their body as an adult body - it's not.

I agree. Someone posted earlier in the thread about 13 year olds not wanting to wear a size 10. Well they shouldn't be. Size 10 is part of the adult system of clothing sizes. I remember shopping in Tammy Girl and buying clothes that were age 13-14. Adult clothing sizes weren't even a consideration for me back then.

I'm currently expecting my second child, and we've been told it is a girl. Whilst I am delighted at this, having a son already, I admit to been concerned about the future and the seeming desire for young girls to wear more adult clothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about them stocking clothes to fit all size of children, it's about the Size 4 tag - which as we know equates to the USA size 0. ASDA are trying to make a quick buck on the "Size 0" bandwagon, which as we know promotes an unhlealthy, unfit lifestyle.
    Life is hard enough at 13, nevermind ASDA adding the pressure one - and don't tell me girls won't be competing to fit into the size 4.

I'm 14, and I don't feel pressure (maybe that's because I'm naturally a size 6-8, but no matter). Anyway, not many 13 year olds would ever compete for Asda clothes... Topshop maybe, but not Asda...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wellllllllllllllll I, personally, have been around a size 12 or 14 since before I was even 13. But I do remember there were more than a few people the same age as me who were little more than 4 foot tall and incredibly slim, but naturally so. So I can't really start saying things like "Oh, that's horrible, as if there isn't enough anorexia in teenagers etc." Sizes vary, and I know as a child I was annoyed that I was too big for some of the small made things in some shops, and I also know many of my friends get really wound up when all the clothes are too big for them...

Meh. Pointless comment I guess. But I don't see the problem in stocking a large range of sizes. It's only when they stop stocking sizes like 16s that I'll get annoyed. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend (13) is in childrens clothes, as she's so small, so a 4 is perfect for her. I don't think it is a problem for ASDA to sell clothes this small, as some girls find getting fashionable, but small clothes hard.

By the way, my friend is nowhere near an under-eater; she eats like a horse. She is just naturally slim.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I've still got some of my clothes from 25 years ago and I can say that sizes have changed completely.

Size 8 and 10 clothing was much smaller 25 years ago. I was a 10/ (and a hopeful) 8 on the bottom half when I was 16/17/18 and I was tall and skinny. The same clothes would be 4/6 if not smaller on the size today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going out with a girl who was 30, she was size 6, she didn't have an eating disorder and by christ could she eat, she was however quite hyper and energetic and probably had a very good metobolism.
    I think it's fair for George to sell size 4, why should natural sized girls be discriminated against and have to pay extra elsewhere.
    It's the media themselves who cause the problems, not places like Asda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember having many clothes labelled as a 'size 8' or 'size 10' when I was young; children's clothes used to be labelled by age group, not by dress size.

Kids seem to be growing into adult sizes a lot sooner these days and there are others who are just naturally very slim anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats wrong with size 4 :confused:

if they dont get it from there they will only get it off the net
  • Options
    Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stores like Wallis, Principles and Next were making size 4 clothes in their Petite ranges over a decade ago until they succumbed to pressure, leaving women of my height and natural size wearing size 6 clothes that are too big for them.

I was going out with a girl who was 30, she was size 6, she didn't have an eating disorder and by christ could she eat, she was however quite hyper and energetic and probably had a very good metobolism.

That's what I am like, as is my friend who is slightly taller than me and a size 8. People immediately think we have an eating disorder and even when they have the dubious pleasure of seeing us stuff our faces, they think we just go and throw up afterwards.
    Sloopy wrote:
    I don't remember having many clothes labelled as a 'size 8' or 'size 10' when I was young; children's clothes used to be labelled by age group, not by dress size.

Very true.

Sloopy wrote:
    Kids seem to be growing into adult sizes a lot sooner these days and there are others who are just naturally very slim anyway.

I was in a size 12 adult size when I was 12 years old and I am only 5'2", but look at the size I take now.

I wish people would stop with all this pressure to be thin claptrap. There are more obese children around today than there ever have been and people are considered "healthy" looking these days at sizes and weights that would have been considered "fat" when I was in school.

donut0742 wrote:
    Well surely all the people who have to shop at Evans or buy outsize clothes are also leading an unhealthy, unfit lifestyle that these shops also promote by stocking the clothes...so should these shops be closed down/boycotted too?

Well said.
  • Options
    SmeggypantsSmeggypants Posts: 16,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am voting with my purse on this one... not more of my cash will be going to GEORGE until this size is removed.

I never gave any cash to GEORGE anyway. It's crap
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again, I don't understand this size 0 stuff.

All of my jeans and trousers are from the US. All are a size 0, bar one (a size 2).

I'm not ill, I'm not skinny. I look fine for my height (5'2).

Why are people making such a big deal out size 0?
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is not your natural size 'some' girls/women will half starve themselves to fit into these clothes.

What makes me mad/sad is that they are usually competing against their friends and peers. Most blokes would not know what a size 4 was, or bloody care. When has anyone heard a bloke say "Hey my girlfriend is a size 4?"

What about clothes that look good on you, and hang well. Anyone can sew a size 4 ticket on to stuff.

As for George, why not? Some people 'need' that size
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Size 4 :eek: I remember the days when a size 10 was considered thin!!
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently slimmed from a size 14 to a size 8 - there is no way you can say I was actually a size 18 and have now slimmed to a 12 :o
    That's the point - you've done it recently.
    If you were you twenty years ago and lost that same amount of weight you would have been an 18 and slimmed down to a 12.
    Sizes have definitely got smaller in the last 20 years, so I'm not surprised that there are more people who fit into today's size 6 and 4, who would have had a bigger number on their clothes twenty years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember buying a pair of size 6 trousers in Miss Selfridge about 5years ago, they were pretty damn roomy!

Maybe if people weren't so obsessed with losing weight / being a smaller size, the size 12s of 20yrs ago would still be a size 12 today!