Options

connecting an old TV to a new freeview box

I've got a bit of a problem. My TV - which is ancient, but great ( a pristine B&O Beovision 8800). As a result of it's years it has no SCART socket (it was built back in 1981) and I can't for the life of me get it to work with my freeview box (a Sony VTX-D800U) - even though it has a co-axial line out. The closest I get is a very poorly tuned image of the sony freeview screen. Is there anything I should be doing differently?
:confused:

edit:
Actually scrap that - I should have read the other threads. I'm not alone - I'll try the suggestion made by Scorpio in previous thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need a freeview box with an rf modulator which enables you to tune in the freeview box to the tv like you would a vcr. the other thing you could do is buy a seperate rf modulator which is a box with a scart input where you would connect the freeview box and aerial in and out connectors which loops through your tv aerial and outputs whatever is connected to the scart on another rf channel which you can then tune into your tv. or if you have a vcr with a scart socket then plug the freeview box into the vcr, put the vcr on the av channel and then put the tv on the video channel which will enable you to watch freeview through the video. hope that all makes sense, good luck, the sony freeview box is very good :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........so the Sony only passes through an inputted RF signal (terrestrial) and does not add a the digital channel to the RF output??

Is the assumption by Sony that all TVs would be connected by scart not coax?

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I bought the Sony VTX-D800U for a family friend several months ago & was quite impressed by this pretty looking box :D It certainly won hands down over the Thomson TUTV ready STB which was shocking ! :eek:

Though I have to admit I was surprised by the fact that it only outputs via SCART & has a basic RF loopthrough which doesn't allow tuning in via a UHF channel :rolleyes:

After you've spent a good £80 or thereabouts for a top-notch digitial terrestrial STB you'd expect the full works !

Anyway the Sony VTX-D800U is nevertheless a smooth operator.

BTW a neighbour has a Goodmans GDB 3 freeview box which costs something like £30. On this box you can output the signal via both UHF or SCART :) I also have to admit that I was really surprised by the excellent picture & overall operation of this box ! And noticed that the digital teletext was a bit faster than on the Sony !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it's about time you bought a new Tv...technology has changed a lot since 1981 :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it's about time you bought a new Tv...technology has changed a lot since 1981 :o

Or another DTT set top box which can actually be tuned into a UHF channel :D That's if jonnydelmundo can part with the Sony !

On the theme of new TV sets I've noticed that a considerable number of the larger screened CRT, plasma, etc sets are poorly equipped when it comes to socketry :eek:

When parting with a load of cash it's always a good idea to make sure that the TV set has plenty of inputs for your current & any future AV equipment you may want to hook-up :D

Frankly I'm quite surprised that his B&O set has lasted all these years ! Wonder if it was ever repaired :confused::)
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to be very carefull when buying a set top box with "rf modulator". Many boxes have an "aerial out" on the back, but that only provides analogue signals - not digital. So if you see one with an aerial out socket, dont assume that will provide freeview to the tv. The rf modulator is the chip inside which "broadcasts" an analogue picture of the selected freeview channel up the aerial output to the tv, the same as you find inside a VCR.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    wrote:
    When parting with a load of cash it's always a good idea to make sure that the TV set has plenty of inputs for your current & any future AV equipment you may want to hook-up :D

Frankly I'm quite surprised that his B&O set has lasted all these years ! Wonder if it was ever repaired :confused::)

The B&O replaces a much newer sony box which blew up a few months ago. The B&O has been in constant use for over 20 years but still has a better picture quality than the 5 year old sony it replaced. On top of that, it's a design classic!!!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Another option is to use any old cheap VCR which has a SCART in and an RF out. S'wot I do for the old cheap TV in the bedroom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The humax pvr 8000t has an RF modulator, and I use it on an old Baird 14 inch portable (a tv which has no scart and no remote)in the bedroom, and it works perfectly, alternatively you can buy any box of your choice and buy a separate RF modulator that connects to the digibox via scart but allows you to watch tv via the rf lead.