Options

Poirot: Cat Among the Pigeons

ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watching?

I'm really enjoying it. It's one of the few that I've read and know well enough to remember who dunnit.

The cast is great! I love playing the what's-she-been-in-before? thing.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just realised it's on :mad: and obviously I'm not going to tune in just for the last hour.

Oh well, save it for another time :(
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Is the camera lense smeared with vaseline or are the Poirot films always filmed in very soft focus ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I thought it was rather good actually, it remained pretty close to the original novel despite removing the character of Mrs Vansitart and the use of a javelin to murder Miss Springer rather than a pistol.

I've enjoyed the new series of poirot compared to the last one, although I do have a minor gripe about the picture quality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Episode itself was excellent, but the use of the soft picture on the bad ITV picture quality isnt advised.

i bet it wont look that bad on DVD.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Loved this, it was somehow that little bit more engaging and mysterious than last week's. But yes, the vaseline smearing is so over the top, I thought my eyesight was going at one point!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,821
    Forum Member
    this'll probably sound quite mean but was i the only one who thought that there was going to be a twist involving it turning out that the matron was actually a man in disguise...?! :eek: :D
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actress playing matron (Carol Macready) is on a theatre tour at the moment, with Alison Steadman in "Enjoy". I saw it last week, and Ms Macready had the audience cheering by the time she had finished. I chatted to her in the bar afterwards ... if only I'd seen this Poirot before!

I was very impressed with the autumnal light given to the production. I thought it looked lvoely.

It was occasionally a bit tricky to follow, but it's a story that's completely new to me. I have recently read last week's (Mrs McGinty's Dead) and next week's (Third Girl ... a rubbish book very clearly set in late 50s/early 60s, unlike Poirot on TV).

I wondered how
    Miss Springer knew the significance of Angel, and so was able to try to blackmail her.

Am I right that
    Mrs Brittas from The Brittas Empire, ex spy, was mumbling about it to headteacher Harriet Walter, and Miss Springer overheard the whole thing?

If so, that seems a bit of a cheat, as the audience wasn't given the chance to hear much of what Mrs Brittas was saying.

Good fun, all in all, but a relatively minor story. I'll agree that I am enjoying these more than last series. Some of the more recent ones have seemed a bit serious and dour (Taken at the Flood had huge liberties taken with the story, which did not win me over), but they're beginning to regain some of the sense of fun they used to have, back in the glory days of Miss Lemon, hummable theme music and art deco buildings.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice that Mark Gatiss did the script??
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These last two Poirot's have been excellent. It looks as if they're giving real time and attention to the production rather than just churning them out which seemed to be case a few years ago.
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it - especialy as it was so close to the book - the major difference being that in the book Poirot doesn't play a great part in it till the end, but I forgave them that, as I always enjoy Poirot himself.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With both Carol Macready and Harriet Walter in it, I half expected Lord Peter Wimsey to put in an appearance :)
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was great, I loved the twist about
    Princess Shaista being an imposter, when she was caught out and started speaking in her proper London accent, I was like "Woahh :eek:" :D

And I was shocked to discover
    Chadwick attacked Rice, the flashback made me laugh because, looking at Miss Chadwick, you wouldnt expect her to be the type of woman to whack somebody over the head with a sandbag :p

Great episode :)
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read the story before, so knew nothing of it before hand.
    Me and the wife watched this last night, and when the final adverts came on (and just before the murderer was unmasked) the wife says "So, you know who did it yet then?"

I had thought the only person who COULD be Angel (a young girl from the earlier description) was the secratary, however - maybe from watching too much Jonathon Creek - I discounted that possibility because it was too obvious. I opted instead for Mrs. Rich, because she had seemed suspicious for a few scenes.
    Of course it turns out my original hunch was right, and also Mrs. Rich was the one who wounded the other person!

Next week I'll go along with my gut instinct! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people who did read the book said it was obvious who is Angel very early in the book.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Hastings & Inspector Japp still featured in the new episodes.The last time they both featured in an episode i believe was "Evil Under The Sun".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wolfbridge wrote: »
    people who did read the book said it was obvious who is Angel very early in the book.

Yeah they did a much better job of keeping the murder's identity a secret in the TV adaption than Agatha did! I find that her later books don't quite match the ingenuity of her earlier ones...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The actress playing matron (Carol Macready) is on a theatre tour at the moment, with Alison Steadman in "Enjoy". I saw it last week, and Ms Macready had the audience cheering by the time she had finished. I chatted to her in the bar afterwards ... if only I'd seen this Poirot before!

Oh dear... I think I should have kept my mouth shut now! :o I wasn't trying to be mean though. When I was watching it I really thought that it HAD to emerge that the matron was a man in disguise! The fact they never focused on her face just seemed to confirm this... (I should really stop digging now shouldn't I? :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Mark Gatiss did the script??

Yep, that perked me up rather, especially since I like his Lucifer Box novels. He's a fine writer (c.f. his Dr. Who episodes) but I did want a bit more comedy or surrealism from it. Hey ho.

Also yay, love Anton Lesser, less keen on his wig though. I liked how Shaista's (sorry Princess Shaista's)
    very proper prim english accent was over enunciated and fake, and then turned out actually to be fake: "it weren't me wot dun it!"

Does anyone know how you can tell a persons age by their knees, the only thing I can think of is that she wasn't moisturising enough.

Whoever mentioned the vaseline over the lens: how annoying, why does it all have to be in soft focus, dammit give me some sharp edges!

I am a keen ITV3'er and I do watch the old Poirot's and to be honest, they knock spots off these newer ones. Lot's of Japp and Miss Lemon (yay!), no soft focus and they allow time for Poirot's eccentricities to be explored, often for comic effect and there's less: "oh look it's that guy/girl, from that thing! You know, that programme with that woman/man/dog, he/she did it in that one too, bet he/she did it in this one as well." I'm nearly always proved right.
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shuggie wrote: »
    I am a keen ITV3'er and I do watch the old Poirot's and to be honest, they knock spots off these newer ones. Lot's of Japp and Miss Lemon (yay!), no soft focus and they allow time for Poirot's eccentricities to be explored, often for comic effect and there's less: "oh look it's that guy/girl, from that thing! You know, that programme with that woman/man/dog, he/she did it in that one too, bet he/she did it in this one as well." I'm nearly always proved right.

We Sky+d this yest & watched tonight, we were doing exactly that all the way through I had to laugh;
    Oh it's Harriet from that detective programme - wot was it?
    Oh it's Cho Chan!
    Oh it's that Natasha thingy woman from Vanity Fair/Spooks!
    Oh it's that blonde woman from Candleford/ S&S!
    Oh look is n't she/he a stock actor? What have we seen them in???
    Finally oh my god it's Billy Piper's looky-likey :eek:.
  • Options
    katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacquiann wrote: »
    Finally oh my god it's Billy Piper's looky-likey :eek:.

I wondered more than once if she was Billy Piper's little sister. Looks like her, same facial features and same voice. Anybody know?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacquiann wrote: »
    We Sky+d this yest & watched tonight, we were doing exactly that all the way through I had to laugh;
    Oh it's Harriet from that detective programme - wot was it?

I think you must be thinking of the Lord Peter Wimsey stories such as Gaudy Night filmed with Harriet Walter and Edward Petherbridge which were repeated fairly recently on ITV3.

On that topic my husband did make a flippant comment that the story clearly should have had Lord Peter in it - apropos of ITV's parachuting Miss Marple into too many non-Marple stories:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfbridge wrote: »
    the Episode itself was excellent, but the use of the soft picture on the bad ITV picture quality isnt advised.

i bet it wont look that bad on DVD.

Incredibly they actually filmed these last two in HD and shooting them through smog totally destroys the point of doing that and the extra money they paid to do it.

What on Earth is up with producers these days when they are in droves adding such pathetic effects to impress their arty friends and completely forgetting that viewers will be distracted by their antics. And it does not make the viewing more enjoyable - often the reverse.

Someone wants to get a grip over this trend.
  • Options
    jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie wrote: »
    I wondered more than once if she was Billy Piper's little sister. Looks like her, same facial features and same voice. Anybody know?

I looked up the actress (Jo Woodcock) but can find no tie to Billy at all (I thought she may be some relation - cousin or something).
  • Options
    Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredibly they actually filmed these last two in HD and shooting them through smog totally destroys the point of doing that and the extra money they paid to do it.

What on Earth is up with producers these days when they are in droves adding such pathetic effects to impress their arty friends and completely forgetting that viewers will be distracted by their antics. And it does not make the viewing more enjoyable - often the reverse.

Someone wants to get a grip over this trend.

you saw how bad it was bad in hd as well, the other have was moaning that his eyesight was going fuzzy until we realised that it was supposed to be like that