Forum Member
    ✭✭
    37 years old and never been asked :cry::cry::cry: I'd love to do it!:D
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lazyjane wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this but I asked to be excused from jury duty a few weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to hear back. Will they send a letter or will they ring up?

Have you asked to be excused or just deferred?

I had to defer mine and I got a letter with a new date about 2 weeks after I returned the form. However you don't need any evidence to just defer, if you want to be excused I imagine they look at it in more detail.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    37 years old and never been asked :cry::cry::cry: I'd love to do it!:D

56 and never been asked, thankfully.
  • Options
    lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    When is it due? if it's very soon they may be expecting you

Not until the 14th October.
    Helix wrote: »
    Have you asked to be excused or just deferred?

I had to defer mine and I got a letter with a new date about 2 weeks after I returned the form. However you don't need any evidence to just defer, if you want to be excused I imagine they look at it in more detail.

I have asked to be excused and sent in some evidence.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tell them you're a homophobic racist who dislikes men, women and children of all colours and nationalities. It's very unlikely they'll ever ask you again.

or they might ask you to be a judge :D
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's very timely. I was called for jury service to start on 2.9.13, but had to get it deferred as I was in court about my divorce on the 4th. When I sent the form back, I told them I had a hospital appt on 4.10.13, so to avoid that date as well.

I'm rather dreading it tbh, as sitting all day really makes my arthritis bad. I'm wondering if I should ask for a medical exemption. Work would be pleased if I got an exemption, as we have a vacant post at the moment that they won't fill as they could only offer a 6 month contract at the moment. My boss is a bit peed off, as I'm the 4th on our team to get called in less than 2 years, and there are only 12 of us.

I'm also hoping that if I get called again, it will be for the crown court that's a 15 minute walk away, rather than one 14 miles away, which is where they wanted me to go last time.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    56 and never been asked, thankfully.

I got my summons at 57 - never been asked until then.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wack-job mother was called for jury service about 25 years ago.
    She wrote back that she'd never find anyone guilty of anything, she believed
    that everyone had a redeeming feature, (this was complete tosh on her part.)
    She got her exemption.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    My wack-job mother was called for jury service about 25 years ago.
    She wrote back that she'd never find anyone guilty of anything, she believed
    that everyone had a redeeming feature, (this was complete tosh on her part.)
    She got her exemption.

i wonder if that would work these days?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was called about 10 or 12 years ago.
    Initially I tried to get out of it by pleading that I was a foreign national and sent a photocopy of my French passport.
    They came back with the fact that they knew that I had dual nationality, plus anyone living in the U.K. for 5 years since the age of 13 can be called.
    No way out, I had to attend Southwark Crown Court.
    From Monday to Wednesday I sat in the jury room reading a book, never got called.
    On Thursday I drew the short straw and was empanelled.
    The case was a French-Canadian who had allegedly walked out of a book store without paying, and then punched the security guard who challenged him.
    The judge asked the jury if there was any reason that anyone could not treat him impartially.
    Seeing my chance, I raised my hand and said that I might not, as he and I shared a common heritage.
    The prisoner smiled, the judge frowned, then discharged me and called for an alternate juror.
    On Friday, I wasn't called, and the next Monday a fraud case was scheduled which could run for weeks.
    We were told that if for any reason we couldn't commit to a length like that, they'd take volunteers from the remaining jury pool to do it.
    Amazingly they were flooded with volunteers and the rest sent home, and that was it for me.
    Hurrah for British justice, and vive La France.
  • Options
    lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a letter today approving my excusal. So relieved.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing how many people don't want to do Jury service, but if you suggest doing away with Juries, there is universal uproar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how many people don't want to do Jury service, but if you suggest doing away with Juries, there is universal uproar.

Sometimes I think we would be better off without a Jury, certainly ones that got people in that don't want to be there.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a civic duty all should be prepared to complete.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

Yeah yeah, so you keep saying, but a lot of us don't agree. Civic duty my foot.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lazyjane wrote: »
    I got a letter today approving my excusal. So relieved.
    That didn't take long then. I came home to a letter for my son who has stayed in uni digs in Lndon over the summer.
    It was telling him to report to the crown court about 15 miles from his home Town in October. e had 7 days to return the for. Unfortunatley I was away on hola when it arrived so was outside the seven days. Rang the helpline, explained the circs and could I heck as like get her to understand that he now lives 250 miles away and could she send a new form to his London address for him to complete! In the end she told me to fill the form in for him:eek: I did and sent it off with a covering letter advising them to contact him direct. He is in his final year at uni and the pressure is on so he wants to be excused. It will be interested to see what happens, especially as the silly woman on the phone kept asking when he could attend the court 250 miles away.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    As posted earlier - Some people have genuine reasons for not wishing to be called for jury service. One method that works is to state that you would not be suitable for jury service as you would be unable to beleive the word of a police officer in court.
    This is not to say that all police are dishonest - however there are many instances where police evidence has found to be falsified, forged (fitted up), altered or otherwise
    unreliable. As for being a civic duty, there appears to be no shortage of those only too anxious to serve or willing to be called for jury service.
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    That didn't take long then. I came home to a letter for my son who has stayed in uni digs in Lndon over the summer.
    It was telling him to report to the crown court about 15 miles from his home Town in October. e had 7 days to return the for. Unfortunatley I was away on hola when it arrived so was outside the seven days. Rang the helpline, explained the circs and could I heck as like get her to understand that he now lives 250 miles away and could she send a new form to his London address for him to complete! In the end she told me to fill the form in for him:eek: I did and sent it off with a covering letter advising them to contact him direct. He is in his final year at uni and the pressure is on so he wants to be excused. It will be interested to see what happens, especially as the silly woman on the phone kept asking when he could attend the court 250 miles away.

I don't think that will work, if he has exams during the time they call him then he can defer it but they won't excuse you as a student.

I got called 2 months ago and I would never want to do it again, the case went on for 3.5 weeks and it was a horrid case and we had no support after what we had to witness each day. Only at the very end did the Judge acknowledge that is was a difficult case for us to have to deal with.
  • Options
    Lost PatrolLost Patrol Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    My boss is a bit peed off, as I'm the 4th on our team to get called in less than 2 years, and there are only 12 of us.

Never been called, and Im 46, but has you boss been called yet, maybe that's why he peeved, he hasn't been called for jury duty, and when he does, who in charge :D:D:D
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I'm 35 and have never been called up, thankfully. I wouldn't be able to do it on medical grounds even if I was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, so you keep saying, but a lot of us don't agree. Civic duty my foot.

A shallow view of your fellow man (and woman) and the duty you owe all in your community seems reflected in your view; very sad really:rolleyes:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You can do mine then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    You can do mine then.

Done my bit chap and would happily do it again :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had jury service right on the eve of the 1998 World Cup. So I put in statement saying I was a Marxist, and felt thieves were courageous little Robin Hood's, but if one come to my house, I'd chop their heads off. They wrote back and said I was unsuitable. World Cup was pretty rubbish, and must admit, its now a pretty big regret, because it sounds like a right laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shallow view of your fellow man (and woman) and the duty you owe all in your community seems reflected in your view; very sad really:rolleyes:

Not a shallow view at all, but you only have to look on here and see how many people don't want to do it. Even in the news now and again.

My community? Oh that is a laugh.

But one good thing about being on these forums, it gives me some good ideas to get out of it if I ever do get called.