Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Trolling again, we'd all be working at the same company that we did when we left school if that applied in real life. It's funny how this view is at odds with the view you express every time Ant & Dec's contract comes up for renewal, where you get over excited at the prospect of them moving to the BBC and the resulting death of ITV as a result.
    You should only apply for other jobs, by principal, if your current contract with your current employer is due to end soon. Reid has years to go on her current contract. It is unacceptable under thos circumstances to be talking to rival companies. You should honour the contract you sign, simple as.
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Yet last week you admitted you were annoyed the BBC didn't commission BOAF. So this week I suppose you're glad they didn't as a drop in viewers would have meant a loss in confidence in BBC comedy overall?

Truly bizarre!!!
    Once again, Im not saying BOAF is a flop. I also stand by what I said last week, BBC should've got it. But it has lost almost 3million viewers in 6 weeks. This, along with all the comedy flops Itv has had over the last few years, means confidence levels among many viewers for their comedy/comedy-drama content is at a low. So new comedies like Edge of Heaven are doing very poorly as people dont want to give them a chance.
    How ridiculous!!! Are you really suggesting the BBC should 'make up' news stories.
    Leaking things to tabloids and magazines happen all the time. Are you naiive? All broadcasters do it to suit their agendas. This is not proper news, this is entertainment news/showbiz news. It's a different ball-game.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I didn't say its a flop. I said it has lost almost 3m viewers in 6 weeks. Suggests to me a significant part of the audience didn't enjoy it. So those 3m viewers won't have very high confidence in another itv comedy so soon after boaf disappointed them.

Well perhaps, but settling close to 7m isn't bad and shows an audience is there.
  • Options
    Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should only apply for other jobs, by principal, if your current contract with your current employer is due to end soon. Reid has years to go on her current contract. It is unacceptable under thos circumstances to be talking to rival companies. You should honour the contract you sign, simple as.

What world do you live in?

How do you know how long is left on her contract?
    Did she apply for another job, or was she approached?
    Could it be she's not happy where she is? It's not nice being stuck in a job you are not happy with.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How ridiculous!!! Are you really suggesting the BBC should 'make up' news stories.

BBC is held in very high regard across the world for impartial news, and this would do it no favours.

Though the BBC is not my favourite broadcaster, and has some faults in my eyes, after reading some of your posts about how you would run the corporation, I am so glad you will never get the opportunity as you would destroy all that is good there!
    I think that people should be allowed to progress their careers and look for better earnings without others wishing failure for them. Susannah has more than proved herself at what she does and I hope it works out for her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What world do you live in?

How do you know how long is left on her contract?
    Did she apply for another job, or was she approached?
    Could it be she's not happy where she is? It's not nice being stuck in a job you are not happy with.
    Reid signed a multi-year contract with the BBC knowing full well that she would be commuting up to Manchester a couple days a week. She was well aware of that and still signed the contract, even htough she could've declined. She cant now just say she's finding it so difficult going up north a couple days a week. Tough, she knew what she was getting into and you have to honour your contract. She may well have been approached by Itv, but she shouldn't have entertained the idea whilst still under contract at the Beeb. Now she has, and it looks like she's on the move, the BBC should get rid of her asap and put her on gardening leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I think that people should be allowed to progress their careers and look for better earnings without others wishing failure for them. Susannah has more than proved herself at what she does and I hope it works out for her

Fully agree.

Though I do not see anything morning wise she does at ITV rating better than BBC, why should we wish failure on someone who is apparently being headhunted and offered 4 times their current salary.

No one here knows exactly what's on the table for her at ITV, and she may actually be looking forward to the challenge. In the flip side, as we've not heard from her directly about this yet, there's every chance she may turn down ITV's offer.

If Sam was running the BBC, he would produce news stories to destroy one if his best presenters just because she's been approached by a rival broadcaster. I just find his viewpoints very very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reid signed a multi-year contract with the BBC knowing full well that she would be commuting up to Manchester a couple days a week. She was well aware of that and still signed the contract, even htough she could've declined. She cant now just say she's finding it so difficult going up north a couple days a week. Tough, she knew what she was getting into and you have to honour your contract. She may well have been approached by Itv, but she shouldn't have entertained the idea whilst still under contract at the Beeb. Now she has, and it looks like she's on the move, the BBC should get rid of her asap and put her on gardening leave.

With proof, (and I don't mean one of your imaginary moles, insiders or Stan and Doris from next door), how long is left on her contract?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Sam was running the BBC, he would produce news stories to destroy one if his best presenters just because she's been approached by a rival broadcaster. I just find his viewpoints very very strange.
    Im not going to say anything more about the Reid topic for now, apart from the damage has already been done. All these articles and press coverage about her signing a £4million contract with Itv will subconsciously have gone down badly with readers and members of the public. People wont be saying: "oh thats great Susanna's now going to earn 4 times more". People will be saying: "oh, she thinks she's the dogs bollocks" and be hoping for her to fail. We in Britain love to build people up and then knock them down. Susanna Reid has been built up over the last few years by the BBC but will be knocked down over the next few years. Having people like Aled Jones and Lorraine at the helm of the breakfast show was fine as there was no stories about their pay cheques so little media coverage throughout. Now that the Reid story has blown, there will be lots of media focus on Itv's new breakfast show. It is without a doubt going to end badly for them, the media are just waiting for it to flop and then pounce on it. Has there ever been an occasion in recent memory where a new highly paid star moving from BBC to Itv ends well? No, because everyone in the media and members of the public just dont like the idea of very highly paid celebs/stars/presenters. Within 5 years or so, mark my words, we will be saying Susanna Who?
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The BBC need to get rid of Reid asap, the damage has been done. The fact Reid has not denied these ITV stories is hugely telling that she is on the move. What the BBC need to do is leak to the press that Reid is going to accept a £2million yearly deal with Itv, even if its not that. She already looks bad with the 1million a year contract and the press will love it when such a highly paid star like her flops and the housewives whho watch ITV daytime wont relate to her due to her greed. But it'll be even worse for Reid if the BBC leaks she's going to accept an even bigger offer. She's damaged goods now, they need to get rid if her asap and play dirty in terms of the media-game. It is unacceptable for someone under contract with the BBC like her to go through her agent and seek another job for a rival company whilst under contract. If the media can play up this money story of her going to Itv for so much money, she's already going to face a losing battle.

So with your philosophy you should either stick with the same job for life or quit your old one first before looking for a new one? Sounds very silly to me.
  • Options
    chris_bauerchris_bauer Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Im not going to say anything more about the Reid topic for now, apart from the damage has already been done. All these articles and press coverage about her signing a £4million contract with Itv will subconsciously have gone down badly with readers and members of the public. People wont be saying: "oh thats great Susanna's now going to earn 4 times more". People will be saying: "oh, she thinks she's the dogs bollocks" and be hoping for her to fail. We in Britain love to build people up and then knock them down. Susanna Reid has been built up over the last few years by the BBC but will be knocked down over the next few years. Having people like Aled Jones and Lorraine at the helm of the breakfast show was fine as there was no stories about their pay cheques so little media coverage throughout. Now that the Reid story has blown, there will be lots of media focus on Itv's new breakfast show. It is without a doubt going to end badly for them, the media are just waiting for it to flop and then pounce on it. Has there ever been an occasion in recent memory where a new highly paid star moving from BBC to Itv ends well? No, because everyone in the media and members of the public just dont like the idea of very highly paid celebs/stars/presenters. Within 5 years or so, mark my words, we will be saying Susanna Who?

Do you ever feel that you spend too much of your time slagging off ITV programmes or do you find it rewarding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    So with your philosophy you should either stick with the same job for life or quit your old one first before looking for a new one? Sounds very silly to me.
    No, I think it's fair that you can look for new jobs in the final year or so of your existing contract [assuming it is a multi-year contract]. But before that, and you're in murky waters and being unprofessional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaking things to tabloids and magazines happen all the time. Are you naiive? All broadcasters do it to suit their agendas. This is not proper news, this is entertainment news/showbiz news. It's a different ball-game.

No, I am not naive, but I expect the BBC to be acting better than commercial companies with a agenda.

I do not expect employees funded by our license money to be going round making up showbiz stories to undermine ex-employees or commercial broadcasters!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I think it's fair that you can look for new jobs in the final year or so of your existing contract [assuming it is a multi-year contract]. But before that, and you're in murky waters and being unprofessional.

Again I ask, and with real proof, how do you know she's not in her last year of contract?

EDIT: Ok, so you just edited the original post with a get-out clause. Are you saying you don't now know whether she has a long contract. She could be in her last year then? So she may not be being unprofessional in your view?
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    If Monday's episodes don't hit 8m or low 8m then Corrie is in trouble. Until then I don't think you can usevratings where it clashed with sport as a sign it's down. The Monday ratings will a better indication.

Agreed. Corrie was dented by the rugby last night, which is why it was down. If it gets 6.8 - 7m for Monday's 8.30 episode then we'll know it's in trouble. Last night, there was a reason for why it was down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you ever feel that you spend too much of your time slagging off ITV programmes or do you find it rewarding?

It's very odd. Many posters in the ratings thread over the years have a bias towards one broadcaster or another.

But there is only one I know of who delights in low ratings on ITV, and that is Sam, who also spends hours coming up with ways he would crush/destroy the closest rival to his favourite broadcaster!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    Castles moving to 5USA isn't it Dancc? I have it showing up as new (6/24) on Thu 6 March over on 5USA. It does fit better there if this is the case. Hopefully it will be back sooner!

Edit: it definitely looks that way. They are repeating latest season from 4-5pm weekdays from March 3, 2014 I think.
    Good spot. I hadn't noticed that. It wasn't in the press pack.

A more significant change on 5USA which is looking to reverse a ratings slide is NCIS reruns slot in at 7PM from the beginning of next month. Reruns of CSI (all varieties) still air at 8PM and the block on Sunday remains. But could be a good move as NCIS appears to repeat better these days than CSI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Good spot. I hadn't noticed that. It wasn't in the press pack.

A more significant change on 5USA which is looking to reverse a ratings slide is NCIS reruns slot in at 7PM from the beginning of next month. Reruns of CSI (all varieties) still air at 8PM and the block on Sunday remains. But could be a good move as NCIS appears to repeat better these days than CSI.

Are they re-running NCIS from the beginning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WRT Castle, I just checked and those episodes on 5USA are not entirely new. C5 showed 12 episodes of Season 3 up to the end of last year. It's probable though that when 5USA catches up, new episodes will resume on C5. Something similar is likely with Person of Interest although no news on that just yet.
    Are they re-running NCIS from the beginning?
    Not at the moment. These reruns will be Season 5 (Mon-Thurs) and random episodes on Fridays.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, in five years time, people will be still talking about her if she makes this gutsy move. Everyone is still talking about the last one who did.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Corrie was dented by the rugby last night, which is why it was down. If it gets 6.8 - 7m for Monday's 8.30 episode then we'll know it's in trouble. Last night, there was a reason for why it was down.

Yes I don't think any conclusions can be drawn with the last couple of ratings for Corrie. The Monday ratings are always the highest, if they drop then you can say it's a concern for Corrie, not before.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes the Edge of Heaven rating even worse is that the Nurses programming in between Corrie did 4.32m last night! Granted there was no EE but that is a great rating for it. Awful for EOH as most thought, not sure it was terrible enough for sub 3 from the beginning though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some more ratings via DS to mull over:
    Student Nurses: Bedpans and Bandages: 4.32m (20.3%)

Undoubtedly a bitterly disappointing result for ITV at 9PM but it wasn't all bad news for them last night. That's an excellent rating for Student Nurses against EastEnders. It piled on the viewers, adding over a million week-on-week.
    8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown: 1.83m (8.4%)

I'm sure I've said it before but this is an incredibly dependable rater. It's audience is absolutely rock solid. I would probably reduce the order for 8 Out of 10 Cats itself and do more of these.
    Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild: 1.47m (6.8%)

Great rating! Ended on a series high. I really like this show and hope this encourages them to make more. It's not an obvious choice for Friday nights and might just do better elsewhere if they go ahead with a third series.

All of these ratings exclude +1 channels. More viewing figures at: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a553136/live-six-nations-rugby-union-tops-friday-ratings-with-457m.html
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Yes I don't think any conclusions can be drawn with the last couple of ratings for Corrie. The Monday ratings are always the highest, if they drop then you can say it's a concern for Corrie, not before.

It always seems odd to me that ITV don't combine the two Corries on a Friday when EastEnders isn't on.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Undoubtedly a bitterly disappointing result for ITV at 9PM but it wasn't all bad news for them last night. That's an excellent rating for Student Nurses against EastEnders. It piled on the viewers, adding over a million week-on-week.

No EastEnders last night! Very decent nevertheless, but that would probably explain the rise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    No EastEnders last night! Very decent nevertheless, but that would probably explain the rise.
    D'oh. Of course not. Thanks for reminding me of this, Agent F.

Still notable with a strong share.
  • Options
    JayLee1JayLee1 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Susanna Reid moves to itv" and Digital Spy forum members are ecstatic, such is the depth of itv love and bias on here.
This discussion has been closed.