Options

Beyonce hype?

LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only one who dosen't get it? Was all quiet actually until few months back when she realeased all them songs. All this "Queen Bee" and "Beyoncé slays" etc does my head in. She's becoming over exposed now like Rihanna was. Seems like the rihanna hype died down, now it's Beyonce turn. She has a few good songs, but I even think Rihanna's songs are more 'catchy' tbh.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I think it's because she finally released an album that did herself justice as an artist.

It'll die down I'm sure but there's always been this 'Queen Bee' stuff!!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because she finally released an album that did herself justice as an artist.

It'll die down I'm sure but there's always been this 'Queen Bee' stuff!!

THIS:)
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I love her as a performer and have always been a big fan, however, I think her new album is very average at the best. Plus I cringe every time someone calls her "Queen Bee"
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slayoncé has arrived...your fav cud neva. bow down b*tches!
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Beyoncé in recent years many have tried to perpetuate the idea that she is some musical and artistic genius up there with prince etc when in fact she is not. In a career spanning 15 years and 9 albums (including DC) she has 3 standout albums with the rest being poor.

She is a decent performer but Bey's career is all hype and hot air with little to show for it. And before anyone accuses me of being a hater I have been a fan since 99 and have watched and bought into her and it is my opinion ;-).
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    ^ I do agree with that Hav. I respect that people are fans and i'm happy for them but I don't get the massive hype. I don't mind some of her new album but I have to be in the mood to listen to it.

A friend of mine is going to see her at the O2 tomorrow night and she can't wait which is great but I'm not sure that I'd want to pay £70+ for a ticket. I like some of her music but I wouldn't want two hours of it.
  • Options
    sunrisegirlsunrisegirl Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Slayoncé has arrived...your fav cud neva. bow down b*tches!

She's still unable to get the album to #1 in the UK. Even after the Brits and tour - #5 on the Midweek chart today.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's still unable to get the album to #1 in the UK. Even after the Brits and tour - #5 on the Midweek chart today.

That means absolutely nothing though. Katy B got to number one and sold less than 30K and is now dropping down, Beyonce is still top 5 and hasn't left I dont think - except maybe one week - position means nothing. Sales do.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    With Beyoncé in recent years many have tried to perpetuate the idea that she is some musical and artistic genius up there with prince etc when in fact she is not. In a career spanning 15 years and 9 albums (including DC) she has 3 standout albums with the rest being poor.

Which big pop star is pushing out the artistic boundaries then? Gaga, Kanye, Jay-Z...Adele?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People say she is more successful than Rihanna but I thought Rihanna was way more successful, especially with number ones (Rihanna 13, Beyonce 5)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Id say that Beyoncé is sort of the christina Aguilera of this day while rihanna certainly is the britney spears.
    Rihanna is the bigger star catchier songs more sex appeal and can out on a great show, while Beyoncé is the voice like christina was but just doesn't have the mass appeal of rihanna
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id say that Beyoncé is sort of the christina Aguilera of this day while rihanna certainly is the britney spears.
    Rihanna is the bigger star catchier songs more sex appeal and can out on a great show, while Beyoncé is the voice like christina was but just doesn't have the mass appeal of rihanna

Also true in that Beyonce/Christina are infinitely more talented and will ultimately be infinitely more respected than Rihanna/Britney.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Which big pop star is pushing out the artistic boundaries then? Gaga, Kanye, Jay-Z...Adele?

Beyoncé is dong relatively little different to what they are doing. She has used people like Dev Hynes and Blood Orange to boost her credibility and as controversial as this may be the work her sister solange did with them is far superior.

Beyoncé hasn't the talent t go away on her own just her and deliver on her hype.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyonce is just trying to carry on what Diana Ross and Janet Jackson set. But she isn't doing it very well. She is considered an Icon and a musical legend. But what has she done to be labelled this? I think the most iconic thing of her career is the ridiculous Single ladies video. Other than that, i cry a bit inside when people craw up her backside and constantly rave about her doing this and doing that. She's done sod all for the music industry. She can sing and has had some brilliant songs, but other than that, that is it. I find most of her live performances very samey.

Obviously not every single artist is going to have a huge impact on the music industry, but when people make out someone has when they haven't, that is when i have a problem. Indeed, this is my problem with Beyonce. Why why why is she held in such high regard? I want to know why. I see zero proof to what she has done to be considered one of the greats. Musical icons and legends are people like Madonna, Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson etc. She should never ever be mentioned as a legend or an icon among these artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also true in that Beyonce/Christina are infinitely more talented and will ultimately be infinitely more respected than Rihanna/Britney.

Rihanna and britney will be remembered as legends though britney already is (maybe not to everyone but you cant deny sales) while rihanna is also well on her way rihanna has had a bigger Iegacy since 2005 while beyonce has only now started tbh thats with destinys child now
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think that's spot on.
  • Options
    da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna and britney will be remembered as legends though britney already is (maybe not to everyone but you cant deny sales) while rihanna is also well on her way rihanna has had a bigger Iegacy since 2005 while beyonce has only now started tbh thats with destinys child now

Rihanna is a legend!!!... smh :blush:

The only thing Rihanna has over Beyonce are singles, and that's only because she is promoted as a singles artist by her label. Beyonce's has sold roughly same number of albums as Rihanna who has 7 albums to her dicography to Beyonce's 5 albums. Of course we don't want to mention Destiny's Child album numbers as this would embarrass Rihanna's numbers.

Singles = Rihanna
    Albums = Beyonce
    Tours = Beyonce
    Movies = Beyonce
    Prestigious awards = Beyonce
    Singing = Beyonce
    Dancing = Beyonce

On Britney

Beyonce has outsold Britney's albums since 2004. Britney's days are long gone even though I love her.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's pish.
    Just one of many overhyped septics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    da3bool wrote: »
    Rihanna is a legend!!!... smh :blush:

The only thing Rihanna has over Beyonce are singles, and that's only because she is promoted as a singles artist by her label. Beyonce's has sold roughly same number of albums as Rihanna who has 7 albums to her dicography to Beyonce's 5 albums. Of course we don't want to mention Destiny's Child album numbers as this would embarrass Rihanna's numbers.

Singles = Rihanna
    Albums = Beyonce
    Tours = Beyonce
    Movies = Beyonce
    Prestigious awards = Beyonce
    Singing = Beyonce
    Dancing = Beyonce

On Britney

Beyonce has outsold Britney's albums since 2004. Britney's days are long gone even though I love her.

Yer but britney's first two albums have outsold the whole of beyonces discography
  • Options
    da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yer but britney's first two albums have outsold the whole of beyonces discography

:)...
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who dosen't get it? Was all quiet actually until few months back when she realeased all them songs. All this "Queen Bee" and "Beyoncé slays" etc does my head in. She's becoming over exposed now like Rihanna was. Seems like the rihanna hype died down, now it's Beyonce turn. She has a few good songs, but I even think Rihanna's songs are more 'catchy' tbh.

But that's the whole point of releasing an album - to promote it, tour for it, perform songs from it, make appearances, be played on the radio and have fans enjoy the music, and then go quiet again until the next one?
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

She is a decent performer but Bey's career is all hype and hot air with little to show for it. And before anyone accuses me of being a hater I have been a fan since 99 and have watched and bought into her and it is my opinion ;-).

I don't understand how you can say both bolded bits in the same post.

Nobody can have a successful 15 year long career in the music business based on hype.. :confused:, especially when said career is still getting stronger? Artists who are hyped and do not have talent, presence and good songs and albums do not survive in the industry for this long. They don't have particularly good sales either, aka Rita Ora.

Beyoncé has built a strong fan base and is respected for being talented. She's successful and popular because she makes mostly good music, and she's a very strong performer.

Now I am a fan who actually is able to criticize Beyoncé, I'm not a deluded stan. 'Run the World' for example was a complete disaster and is what caused '4' to be a less successful era than her others. However I find it hard to believe that a "fan since 99" can think she is nothing but a hyped artist running on "hot air."

Chart positions don't matter. Her album had sold 3 million worldwide in just over a month. In the UK 300,000 by early February. Being consistently in the top five for months is better than reaching the top spot and dropping like a stone within two weeks.
    People say she is more successful than Rihanna but I thought Rihanna was way more successful, especially with number ones (Rihanna 13, Beyonce 5)

Rihanna has more singles sales. That's the only way in which she is more successful than Beyoncé.
    Beyonce's albums sell better (apart from 4, although even that "flop album" still outsold four of Rihanna's albums), and she is more critically acclaimed. She is more respected, has won more awards, and is regarded as a far better performer.

Behave.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Beyonce sells more albums than Rihanna.

I think Katy Perry and Beyonce are in the most powerful positions. In 30 years they will still be remembered, I think.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyoncé is a great singer and dancer, no doubt about that. A brilliant performer. But, for me, I think a lot of her music is poor. I've liked quite a few of her songs over the years (inc: Work It Out, Sweet Dreams, Naughty Girl, Halo, Ave Maria, I Care) but a lot of it (especially with her latest album) I find it completely tuneless monotonous generic r'n'b. I find her current stuff so dull with so many of the songs all sounding the same, with little or no melody in sight! I guess I'm basically saying that I think she's an excellent performer with a pitch perfect voice and killer moves but much of her actual music is way overhyped and overrated, imo. I think the same about Jennifer Hudson - INCREDIBLE voice but boring music! For me Christina Aguilera's music is 100 times better, varied in style and timeless, even her stuff that's considered a flop! Janet Jackson is a legend with an amazing catalogue of brilliant music, particularly in the 80's & 90's. One of my all-time fave female r'n'b singers though is the great Toni Braxton. Now SHE is underrated and underappreciated and has released many great songs overall, imo. Oh and, to me, if anyone should be called a Queen it's 'Her Majesty Queen Mariah of Carey!' :-D:-)
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Rihanna's music is much better in my opinion and beyonces last 2 album efforts have been quite poor I think, however having seen beyonce twice and Rihanna once I have to say beyonce in terms of touring is one of the greats of our generation, and we all know where the money's at
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Beyoncé is a great singer and dancer, no doubt about that. A brilliant performer. But, for me, I think a lot of her music is poor. I've liked quite a few of her songs over the years (inc: Work It Out, Sweet Dreams, Naughty Girl, Halo, Ave Maria, I Care) but a lot of it (especially with her latest album) I find it completely tuneless monotonous generic r'n'b. I find her current stuff so dull with so many of the songs all sounding the same, with little or no melody in sight! I guess I'm basically saying that I think she's an excellent performer with a pitch perfect voice and killer moves but much of her actual music is way overhyped and overrated, imo. I think the same about Jennifer Hudson - INCREDIBLE voice but boring music! For me Christina Aguilera's music is 100 times better, varied in style and timeless, even her stuff that's considered a flop! Janet Jackson is a legend with an amazing catalogue of brilliant music, particularly in the 80's & 90's. One of my all-time fave female r'n'b singers though is the great Toni Braxton. Now SHE is underrated and underappreciated and has released many great songs overall, imo. Oh and, to me, if anyone should be called a Queen it's 'Her Majesty Queen Mariah of Carey!' :-D:-)

The Queen of Soul is Aretha Franklin. If there was a next in line it would be Tina Turner. The Queen of RnB is Mary j Blige, with Whitney as the next in line.