Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Ive watched enough of BGT to know how it works. It does what it does very well and yes the production value of BGT is high. In every auditions episode, they have about 4 main auditions over a 60-75min episode. The rest of the time is filled by filler and montages. The 4 auditions are done in-depth. The Voice works differently, it has about 10-15 in-depth auditions per 60-75min episode. Thats why I would say BGT has 'bite sized' auditions. As for the live shows, it's extremely predictable. In the show's history, over 80% of the time the last act to perform in the semi final has gone through to the final. Whoever is put towards the end of the running order has a huge chance of winning the show, and this is heavily influenced by the producers. Im not saying this is illegal or immoral, Im just saying this is the reality of the situation. The live shows can be very predictable and thats part of the reason I think BGT's live audience viewership has continued to decline, while the auditions have held up better.

Thats pretty bad. Did last years BB fall that low on any Saturday night? That is almost 30pct down year on year.

I see you completely ignored my previous post directly to you. I knew you would and some things never change on this thread. The winner or BGT is nowhere near as predictable as you!
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So BGT did not go under 10m excluding +1. The rating is great and the share is fantastic. I can't believe people on here were predicting 8m.

Sad for BB, but not quite surprised. The rating isn't absolutely awful, the show has done worse on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Poor. Down around 0.3m on the first two Saturday episodes the past two years.

Maybe I was wrong about BGT helping with the football rating so strongly. We'll find out more tonight.

I reckon (and it is early days), but this series will average similar to BB12-BB13's 1.6m official. I very much doubt it will do as well as BB14.

I guess the only positive is that half of BB12 Saturdays did worse.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Thats pretty bad. Did last years BB fall that low on any Saturday night? That is almost 30pct down year on year.
    More data needed. Obviously if the whole series were to be down this much from here on in then it's not looking good for BB but if it is going to crash I'd rather it be this year with the contract up for renewal as it puts C5 in a very strong position when it comes to renegotiating.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

NEWS: 866,000 (20.1%)
    Which gave Jackpot Joy a boost – 430,000 (13.5%) for the first hour!
    Still had 317,000 at 1.45am.

(But how many had fallen asleep watching the football?!)

Thanks, not shabby numbers at all for the football, still a good 5 million watching a midnight. The News rating at 01:00 is probably higher than the majority of their daytime line-up on Saturday too!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I reckon (and it is early days), but this series will average similar to BB12-BB13's 1.6m official. I very much doubt it will do as well as BB14.

I guess the only positive is that half of BB12 Saturdays did worse.

What was C5's overall share last night though? If that is established, BB's audience probably isn't that bad in the end. With an England match and inadvertent entertainment from Adrian Chiles looking bored and scratching his nipples, it made for must see telly that probably resulted in those watching ITV to stick with it. There is likely to be no "must see" attitude towards BB at this early stage.
  • Options
    Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    So BGT did not go under 10m excluding +1. The rating is great and the share is fantastic. I can't believe people on here were predicting 8m.

Sad for BB, but not quite surprised. The rating isn't absolutely awful, the show has done worse on a Saturday night.

I think everything was going to struggle last night. BGT mopped up half of all viewers and followed by the last England friendly before the World Cup was always going to be tough competition.

Every so often throughout the year BBC1 and ITV have such a strong night that all other broadcasters will struggle.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Big Brother....

Afterwards, Big Brother earned 845k (4.1%) between 9.30pm and 10.30pm (+1: 107k/0.7%). Bit on the Side appealed to 392k (2.5%) from 10.30pm.

That's awful. After the huge success of CBB in January people don't seem to have stuck around for the civilian version.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Cowell will have the public in the palm of his hand again with him and Cheryl back. He can play games so much more easier than with BGT. Strictly may take a battering as things really get underway.

Not a chance. XF is on a slow downward spiral. He may stop the trend but their glory years are long gone.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,993
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    952k incl +1 for BB.

Damn.

These are BB12 Saturday numbers.

It's actually worse....the first Saturday (Day 5) was 1.23.

That sub one million average for the serious looms closer.

Well you can console yourself by watching Italy put up a brave fight when they lose to England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What was C5's overall share last night though? If that is established, BB's audience probably isn't that bad in the end. With an England match and inadvertent entertainment from Adrian Chiles looking bored and scratching his nipples, it made for must see telly that probably resulted in those watching ITV to stick with it. There is likely to be no "must see" attitude towards BB at this early stage.

It's certain to say that BB was above the C5 share so I guess that is comforting. And I actually agree, with last year, the ratings went up from W2 to W6 continuously, so it could be the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    It's actually worse....the first Saturday (Day 5) was 1.23.

Well you can console yourself by watching Italy put up a brave fight when they lose to England.

It won't average sub 1m, especially not officially. It will be similar to the BB12-BB13.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Woah! Steady on old chap! Those words may come back to haunt you this time next week! :p:(:)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    The one you've been predicting for the past three years unsuccessfully or--?

If BB tanks this year, I can see C5 wanting to do CBB only going forwards. Endemol won't like it but when presented with strong ratings evidence, they might have to accept defeat.

But it's early days yet. It's predictable that people on here want to write its obituary on day 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More data needed. Obviously if the whole series were to be down this much from here on in then it's not looking good for BB but if it is going to crash I'd rather it be this year with the contract up for renewal as it puts C5 in a very strong position when it comes to renegotiating.

How much data do you need?

Yesterday despite being a launch night on Friday you stated the 1.64 merely reflected a normal drop off as last year launch 2 was innovative. If it was the normal drop off then last night should have been around 1.3m....but instead it was 0.952k not even a million.

Renegotiate what? It is clear it's the spin offs into other areas of Desmond's empire that benefit from BB/CBB.
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average for the broadcast wont be 15million. Even in the last Euros, England v France at 5pm averaged around 10m for the covearge. So why would a 11pm kick off rate much better than that? It wont

What were the actual figures and on what day was that broadcast, if it was midweek then people were possibly still at work at the start or had gone to the pub from work. This is the world cup which is bigger than the euros, and at 11pm though quite a few may be in bars, many will likely watch it at home due to it being on late.

Also in terms of match average, the build up is only 40mins and has no real opposition and post match analysis is just over 30 minutes finishing at 1.30 so it won't get dragged down too much at the end. 15m is very realistic I would have thought
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Big Brother....

Afterwards, Big Brother earned 845k (4.1%) between 9.30pm and 10.30pm (+1: 107k/0.7%). Bit on the Side appealed to 392k (2.5%) from 10.30pm.

Hi DMN

You said last week you may be able to get some consolidated ratings for last Saturday, if you can its the greyhound racing from 7.00pm till 9.30pm on Sky Sport 1 last Saturday and a peak if you could as well please. There was also a programme on after called The Westmead Story but that's not so important. Many thanks! :)
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother is fine, it'll bounce back tonight as it's a Sunday so we should see it back in the mid 1s again. It could be doing a lot better than that, but the demos are very good for Channel 5 and it fills up loads of hours in the schedule. I can only see Channel 5 dropping Big Brother if it starts rating sub 1m on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one you've been predicting for the past three years unsuccessfully or--?

If BB tanks this year, I can see C5 wanting to do CBB only going forwards. Endemol won't like it but when presented with strong ratings evidence, they might have to accept defeat.

But it's early days yet. It's predictable that people on here want to write its obituary on day 3.

Think you'll find I predicted sub million programmes, which proved correct. The only prediction I have made regarding a series average was sub 2m.

The only 1m prediction I recall was to do with it's core audience which C5 have managed to slash from 2.5m because thy only seem interested in junkies with an addiction problem for BB.
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother had a lot of things against it last night - not only was it on at a weird time compared to normal, it was against an England match for the World Cup (or something. I couldn't give a monkey's ball sack about football) and it was the dreaded Saturday rating, traditionally much poorer than usual ratings wise, even in the C4 days (which I notice it beat last night anyway.) fingers crossed is all I can say - it's got the potential to be an excellent series. Hopefully should be back above a million tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big Brother is fine, it'll bounce back tonight as it's a Sunday so we should see it back in the mid 1s again. It could be doing a lot better than that, but the demos are very good for Channel 5 and it fills up loads of hours in the schedule. I can only see Channel 5 dropping Big Brother if it starts rating sub 1m on a regular basis.

So you predict it will bounce back to 1.4 - 1.5m tonight, interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Once you take into consideration the audience share for C5, things really aren't as dire as some might suggest. If BB was on BBC1 or ITV and had 900K then it would be disastrous, but it isn't. It is serving the audience who want to watch it well and is keeping C5's overall share at an acceptable level.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Wow what a rating for BGT, way more than I would have predicted - given some of the crap in the final.

Poor for BB, doesn't bode well - giving someone a free pass to the final at such an early stage was ludicrous.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Big Brother had a lot of things against it last night - not only was it on at a weird time compared to normal, it was against an England match for the World Cup (or something. I couldn't give a monkey's ball sack about football) and it was the dreaded Saturday rating, traditionally much poorer than usual ratings wise, even in the C4 days (which I notice it beat last night anyway.) fingers crossed is all I can say - it's got the potential to be an excellent series. Hopefully should be back above a million tonight.

I agree it had a lot going against it. BGMT scored 523k at 9.30 and the England game. Saturday's are a traditionally bad day for BB ratings anyway. I'm a massive fan but it's a programme (apart from evictions) that can be recorded and watched later, the England game not so much.

One highlight show in, on it's weakest day, and it's already being written off.
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously BB will want England to lose as soon as possible :D I don't know what the interest will be ratings wise on matches that England don't play?
This discussion has been closed.