General Election 2015 Discussion Thread

Comments

• MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been browsing on Oddschecker. The odds for a 'No overall majority' has dropped in recent days - now reached the 1/12 mark.

Yup looks a certainty.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Just been browsing on Oddschecker. The odds for a 'No overall majority' has dropped in recent days - now reached the 1/12 mark.

The polls indicate that the two largest parties are pretty evenly matched and are stuck in the low 30s so under those circumstances a hung parliament is a highly likely outcome.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is David Cameron always seen on building sites when the news bulletins do a piece on him?
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,856
    Forum Member
    David Cameron's exuse for not wanting to do 3 debates was because "they suck the life out of the campaign". Anyone think he's been setting world alight by not doing the debates? He just seems to be doing 1 or 2 appearances maximum a day and then going home! WOW!
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Why is David Cameron always seen on building sites when the news bulletins do a piece on him?

Maybe he loves high vis jackets.

Or he's looking for his next job...
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    David Cameron's exuse for not wanting to do 3 debates was because "they suck the life out of the campaign". Anyone think he's been setting world alight by not doing the debates? He just seems to be doing 1 or 2 appearances maximum a day and then going home! WOW!

True to form, Cameron is again unning away from live debates:

General Election 2015: David Cameron is 'still a chicken' as he turns down latest challenge to debate Ed Miliband
    David Cameron faced more "chicken" accusations as he turned down Ed Miliband’s latest challenge to take him on in a head-to-head TV debate. The Labour leader used his closing statement last night to demand the Prime Minister “debate me, one on one.”. Staring straight down the camera, Mr Miliband added: "David, if you think this election is about leadership, then debate me one-on-one."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-david-cameron-is-still-a-chicken-as-he-turns-down-latest-challenge-to-debate-ed-miliband-10184933.html

I don't think Crosby's 'no debates' policy is helping Cameron at all since it makes Cameron look afraid to defend his own record in office and it's failed to generate any form of consistent lead for the Conservative party.
    Forum Member

General Election 2015: David Cameron is 'still a chicken' as he turns down latest challenge to debate Ed Miliband
    David Cameron faced more "chicken" accusations as he turned down Ed Miliband’s latest challenge to take him on in a head-to-head TV debate. The Labour leader used his closing statement last night to demand the Prime Minister “debate me, one on one.”. Staring straight down the camera, Mr Miliband added: "David, if you think this election is about leadership, then debate me one-on-one."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-david-cameron-is-still-a-chicken-as-he-turns-down-latest-challenge-to-debate-ed-miliband-10184933.html

I don't think Crosby's 'no debates' policy is helping Cameron at all since it makes Cameron look afraid to defend his own record in office and it's failed to generate any form of consistent lead for the Conservative party

I don't know why they keep on re-hiring Lynton Crosby for anyway. He failed to get them the win in 2005 and doesn't seem to be doing a very good job now either. He was part of Boris Johnson's campaigns for London Mayor but I think Ken Livingtsone blew his chances by wanting to put up the congestion charge so much for owners of 4x4 and maybe people fancied a change from him too. The form of PR has helped Johnson too.

Crosby's antics might do ok in Australia but we are not Australia.
  • sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think Crosby's 'no debates' policy is helping Cameron at all since it makes Cameron look afraid to defend his own record in office and it's failed to generate any form of consistent lead for the Conservative party.

He is ahead in the latest poll.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The polls indicate that the two largest parties are pretty evenly matched and are stuck in the low 30s so under those circumstances a hung parliament is a highly likely outcome.

Yep. Some more info: A 'No overall majority' remains around the 1/8 - 1/12 mark (same as yesterday). A Conservative majority is around the 7/1 mark. A Labour majority is anywhere between 16/1 - 51/1.
    Forum Member
    This is quite bizarre from today's Sunday Times:
    Cameron calls for tactical voting as Labour pulls ahead

DAVID CAMERON today issues a plea for voters to use tactical voting to prevent Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon from taking power — as Labour opened up a three-point lead in the polls.

Writing in The Sunday Times, the prime minister urges Liberal Democrat and Ukip supporters not to “waste” their votes and instead back the Tories to prevent a Labour-SNP government bringing the economic recovery to “a juddering halt”.

Branding Sturgeon a “hostage-taker” who would demand “more borrowing, more taxes and more welfare”, Cameron says: “Vote for Ukip or the Liberal Democrats and you take Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon a step closer to Downing Street — and our government, economy and country a step closer to chaos.”

Cameron does not use the phrase “tactical voting”, but a senior Conservative said he wants Lib Dem and Ukip voters to "lend their votes" to the Tories.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1545990.ece

The article went on to say that this call for tactical voting was a tacit admission that the Conservatives are struggling to gain enough votes to remain in Downing Street and that there were growing concerns over the Conservatives' failure to maintain a lead over Labour in the polls.

That call for tactical voting comes across as sounding like late desperation and I'm not sure that it will have any effect unless the Conservatives reciprocate and stand down their candidates (i.e. no more active campaigning) in Lib Dem held and likely UKIP gain seats as a gesture of good will to future potential allies.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair I think labour are going to need some of that too.. as they're not exactly heading for a majority either.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    To be fair I think labour are going to need some of that too.. as they're not exactly heading for a majority either.

uggh ..lets hope they dont ..i really will be depressed if labour even get near a majority.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

Trying to build up a "man of the people" image, it isn't working David..

Get them council houses built you promised before !!!
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What connects Sarah Woolaston , Anna Soubry & Caroline Lucas ? they have been targeted with election leaflets promoting" true marriage " by a group called Coalition for Marriage asking constituents to vote against them . Woolaston replied through twitter " Thanks bigots I'm Proud of that vote "
  • Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member
    I want a Labour government. If not seriously thinking of resigning and looking
    for a job in Edinburgh.
    Forum Member
    Dromedary Bump One!
    Sarah777 wrote: »
    I want a Labour government. If not seriously thinking of resigning and looking
    for a job in Edinburgh.

Presumably then you would be insulated from some of the worst effects of a Conservative-Lib Dem coalition Mark II under the SNP-run Scotland.
    Forum Member
    New!
    Two million could vote Tory to stop SNP

Bombshell poll suggests fears over SNP may have the power to break election deadlock

EXCLUSIVE By TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor

TWO million English and Welsh voters could swing back to the Tories to keep a Labour-SNP axis out of government, a dramatic poll has revealed.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6421840/2-million-voters-switch-tory-stop-snp.html
    http://suttonnick.tumblr.com/

This is just yet more of the same old SNP FUD. It hasn't worked so far and the idea that two million voters will be flocking back to the Conservative is optimistic at best or, more likely, just plain desperate and delusional.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's going to the wire folks.

If at the start of this campaign you gave Labour a 50/50 coin toss situation to kick Cameron and the tory boys out, they would of took it. And this is how it is shaping up.. the Conservatives don't like it up em'!!
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    It's going to the wire folks.

If at the start of this campaign you gave Labour a 50/50 coin toss situation to kick Cameron and the tory boys out, they would of took it. And this is how it is shaping up.. the Conservatives don't like it up em'!!

The only certainty so far is the likelihood of another no overall hung parliament and I've even seen one prediction that gives the Conservatives and Labour 281 seats each in the next parliament - a dead heat!
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not convinced that Ed Miliband has anything to gain from allowing Stuart Hosie to spend 5 years disrupting Labour..
    If the SNP are determined to bring down a Tory attempt to form a Tory minority govt.....why not just let them get on with it? If that happens it is Cameron's problem - not Miliband's problem.
    Why would a (subsequent) deal with the SNP be an attractive option for Labour?
    The most attractive option might be for Miliband to sit on his hands and then prepare for a second GE.

At this moment I think it is likely that Miliband will rule out any arrangement with the SNP. The Tories are throwing a lot of dodgy crap over this but some of it will stick and Ed can choose to neutralise the whole issue without (IMO) losing the potential devastating impact of the SNP seats.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that the Tories are making out the SNP to be some sort of Northern branch of ISIS

It's so ridiculous and over the top that it's making their whole campaign look ludicrous
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the Tories are making out the SNP to be some sort of Northern branch of ISIS

It's so ridiculous and over the top that it's making their whole campaign look ludicrous

I agree. But let's imagine that the Tories are currently in utter turmoil and that they have a leader who is struggling to hide the fact that he has lost interest. :o (I think both these things may be true).

Attacking the SNP in a Cartoonish way may be an effective fig leaf to get the Tories off the hook. Will be interesting to see what Ed Miliband is going to do about it.
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    I am not convinced that Ed Miliband has anything to gain from allowing Stuart Hosie to spend 5 years disrupting Labour..

If the SNP are determined to bring down a Tory attempt to form a Tory minority govt.....why not just let them get on with it? If that happens it is Cameron's problem - not Miliband's problem.
    Why would a (subsequent) deal with the SNP be an attractive option for Labour?
    The most attractive option might be for Miliband to sit on his hands and then prepare for a second GE.

At this moment I think it is likely that Miliband will rule out any arrangement with the SNP. The Tories are throwing a lot of dodgy crap over this but some of it will stick and Ed can choose to neutralise the whole issue without (IMO) losing the potential devastating impact of the SNP seats.

However, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon, whether you agree with her or not, is an astute politician. She knows that the SNP cannot be destabilising because that has the potential to bring back the Conservatives into power again under Boris or whoever and if the SNP get the blame for that then it will be the political kiss of death. It hasn't escaped her notice what cuddling up to the Tories has done to support for the Liberal Democrats.
    Forum Member
    I've been looking in Labour's manifesto to see where they specifically state the will scrap the House of Lords and or make it an elected chamber and I can't find it per se.

What I did find was this ...."We will reform the legislative process to strengthen the public’s voice and to better hold the Government to account". Is that the policy there?

If it is, will that be enough to change the law via the parliament act as the Lords are bound to vote against making themselves redundant and the parliament act can only be passed if a policy is in the Governing parties manifesto right? Or am in wrong in that? Is it that the convention is that the Lords always accept what is in the manifesto but the Government can pass what it likes via the parliament act if the Lord keep on voting it down?