Options

Miley Cyrus 'granted temporary restraining order'

HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a169775/cyrus-granted-temporary-restraining-order.html

Now I'm not a Miley fan and this topic isn't so much about her or her stalker, but a line relating to the legal status of the restraining order;

...the restraining order, filed in a Georgia Superior Court, states that he "shall not harass, threaten, molest, contact or attempt to contact, or in any other manner interfere with Cyrus, any member of her family, her friends and fellow employees".

I didn't realise that, in America, a restraining order was required before it became illegal to molest someone! Same goes for harass and threaten - but molest is just that little bit more severe.

Surely restraining orders are to limit what would normally be legal activities (such as approaching or talking to someone). It seems strange that the terms of the order need to state that he's not allowed to molest her!

Comments

• Options
    Arthur CucumberArthur Cucumber Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    In this context I think it means disturb/be an annoyance. :)
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this context I think it means disturb/be an annoyance. :)

Well I guess that would make a little more sense! Just checked the dictionary definition and it seems that is a legitimate usage. Never heard it used like that before - particularly in relation to legal cases!

I guess the whole case (involving a 53 year old man stalking a 16 year old) kind of puts you in the mindset of the "other" meaning :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Well I guess that would make a little more sense! Just checked the dictionary definition and it seems that is a legitimate usage. Never heard it used like that before - particularly in relation to legal cases!

I guess the whole case (involving a 53 year old man stalking a 16 year old) kind of puts you in the mindset of the "other" meaning :p

The same terminology was used for Chris Brown.