Options

Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    Didn't Daniel say well done Boss to Colin? I'm all confused now.. They said earlier in the series that they had a personal relationship, I thought it was working for each other..

Still doesn't matter, they both did well :D
    Just being pally AFAIK. Boss, Chef, Chief etc.

Aiden used to work for Tom.
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's going to happen with the desserts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup. I thought it was a major cop-out on the part of the judges because they're only there to judge. They don't do anything else, yet they couldn't even make a decision about which dessert to put through.

Well, duh! Richard got four tens, and Daniel got two tens and two nines! If they couldn't add those up and figure out which one they preferred, they really should lay off the booze!!

I really, really wanted Daniel to go through to the banquet, but time and time again the judges are incapable of making a decision, or of sticking to their own rules.

Yes, putting aside personal views on the chef or the dishes (which we don't have the option of tasting) you'd have to go with Joe Friday's old adage - just the facts ma'am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what's going to happen with the desserts?
    IIRC they said that Richard will prepare his dessert for half of the audience and Daniel for the other half and then they would judge the winner.

Erm..... how do you judge a winner without tasting both? :confused:
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    IIRC they said that Richard will prepare his dessert for half of the audience and Daniel for the other half and then they would judge the winner.

I thought that aswell

So I think they'll put so many of each dessert on each table and there will be alot of sharing going on so all the guests get to try everything
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Hey ... that was a "brilliant idea" and "the mark of a genius"! :eek:

Please don't spoil it by applying logic! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I thought that aswell

So I think they'll put so many of each dessert on each table and there will be alot of sharing going on so all the guests get to try everything
    So instead of getting your own dessert that the judges scored 10s across the board you now have to share it with 5 other people? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Yayyyyyyyy Michael !! Ok a little bit biased :) Dead chuffed for him though as he genuinely puts his heart and soul into it. :D:D:D:D

I think Daniel's fish was the best fish by far (and have slight crush on him after this year! Lovely guy:o) and though his pudding was great too, I think Lenny Henry with red nose was perfect for the banquet celebrating 25 years comic relief with Lenny as founder.

Also smiled at the suggestion Michael should have had something under the kilt...his original dish had donuts UNDER the kilt and was called "Hands off my Nuts" but it was apparently too risqué pre watershed:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Also chuffed for Michael , best dish and good sentiments:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you work on your drizzle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michaels main was the standout dish of the entire competition for me. So glad it got through.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    Michaels main was the standout dish of the entire competition for me. So glad it got through.

Michael is just the stand out chef - what charm!
  • Options
    RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngelaS wrote: »
    Yayyyyyyyy Michael !! Ok a little bit biased :) Dead chuffed for him though as he genuinely puts his heart and soul into it. :D:D:D:D

I think Daniel's fish was the best fish by far (and have slight crush on him after this year! Lovely guy:o) and though his pudding was great too, I think Lenny Henry with red nose was perfect for the banquet celebrating 25 years comic relief with Lenny as founder.

Also smiled at the suggestion Michael should have had something under the kilt...his original dish had donuts UNDER the kilt and was called "Hands off my Nuts" but it was apparently too risqué pre watershed:eek:

You must be really proud :D

I'm so chuffed for him, he's got a great attitude & that dish just looks amazing!

Give him a big DS kiss from us all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So pleased that Michael got through to the banquet. For me, he summed up this year's competition more than any other chef (with Daniel a very close second) as he showed that it is possible to be creative, imaginative, and witty whilst still producing top-notch food. It was slightly ironic that his serious dish got through, but again it demonstrated that the often-used excuse of "I don't know how to make it funny" was just an excuse. There is a serious side to Comic Relief, but it takes a bit of thought and a lot of skill to create a dish which represents that aspect of it.

I'm slightly surprised by the other three choices (or non-choices!) but I make no apologies for not being too disappointed that Ray didn't get through.

Comment of the day was Daniel asking if someone had read the right brief! :D
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngelaS wrote: »
    Yayyyyyyyy Michael !! Ok a little bit biased :) Dead chuffed for him though as he genuinely puts his heart and soul into it. :D:D:D

Now that, I would have loved to have seen :D

Congratulations :D:D you must be extremely proud - and rightly so :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see my 3 favourites (Daniel, Michael, and Tom) all get through to the banquet.

What do we think Aiden's reaction would have been if he hadn't got a dish on the banquet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How to ask nicely for the engagement ring back?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so chuffed for Michael getting that main to the banquet it was such a brilliant idea and obviously delicious.

I know it's happened previously but I sensed a definite sentiment not to have any chef cooking more than one course.

I'm not a fan of the final banquet programme, may not watch which seems bizarre after enjoying the whole series (mainly thanks to this thread! ;)) but to be fair, it always seems to follow the same "drama" format - someone/everyone's dish in jeopardy... disaster looming... pulled back from the edge... triumph... best meal ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    I'm so chuffed for Michael getting that main to the banquet it was such a brilliant idea and obviously delicious.

I know it's happened previously but I sensed a definite sentiment not to have any chef cooking more than one course.

I'm not a fan of the final banquet programme, may not watch which seems bizarre after enjoying the whole series (mainly thanks to this thread! ;)) but to be fair, it always seems to follow the same "drama" format - someone/everyone's dish in jeopardy... disaster looming... pulled back from the edge... triumph... best meal ever.

Having now looked back on my recordings, Tom got the highest combined scores (judges + Chefs average) for both the Starter and the Fish course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I think they decided the menu around the main course. They said, "right, which one for main course?", and went for Michael´s due to african theme related with comic relief. From there they thought, "well now we are not having the bladder as main , we have to find another red nose somewhere else... collin´s starter or Aiden´s fish". They thought Tom´s starter had more of a joke than collin´s tomato so Aiden´s fish was decided almost by default, it had a red nose, they needed a red nose, the dish tasted great... done. Then the dessert... don´t know how to explain how they reached that decision...oh yeah, the mark of a genius.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what happened to peter's apple pie?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    i am really hoping Ray lets his sense of humour run free tonight, having the titanic sail in on a sea of liquid nitrogen with 1500 playmobile figures floating through the dry ice
    Only catching up now..... this should SO not be funny but it made me :D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    chloe_26 wrote: »

Came fourth, not quite there. In the end he didn´t make to to the top 3, but tbh it is the first time he enters the competition, being the youngest one, and yet managed to get to the finals. Gastronomy-wise he was praised all week by judges and peers, it´s just he has mistaken the word comedy for nostalgia, which is a shame.

That apple pie is in the menu at his restaurant btw. I live in Bristol so may pay him a visit soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chloe_26 wrote: »

I seem to recall that during the judges' tasting, there was a broken record in the background going ...

"... this isn't as good as the last time ... this isn't as good as the last time ... this isn't as good as the last time ..." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delighted for Michael, feel sorry for Colin. Aidan was annoying with his obvious disappointment that he wasn't getting the main. Daniel has been really lovely this series, but there was no need for his dessert to be tagged on as a consolation prize - most unfair to Richard, who had the best dessert.