Quitting work and taking a chance

HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, so I'm not usually one for seeking advice, but I'm considering doing something either really brave or really stupid and I could do with hearing the experiences (good or bad) or those who have done something equally brave/stupid.

The story is this; my dad died a couple of months ago and he was by best friend and the only person I really related to. It has upturned my life and left me without any real purpose or interest in the future. I've also working in IT for 14 years and am currently working for a small IT consultancy company. For the past few months, I've found it practically impossible to deal with other people's problems. eg. I can't cope with calls from clients who are angry that their computer isn't as fast as they'd like it to be. I just want to tell them to bugger off because I have bigger problems to deal with.

But I don't do that, because I'm too polite! I just freeze up, which isn't all that much better. To make matters worse, my colleague (the only other IT support guy in the company) decided he was going to take a month off work (even though I warned him I didn't think I could cope right now) and I'm left to cover his work, as well as my own. I'm not sure I can actually cope with it, as my stress levels are so high, I think I'm likely to have a nervous breakdown if anything serious happens.

Due to my dad's death, I happen to have a large amount of money at my disposal right now. I could quite easily go without working for the next two to four years. Possibly even longer. I've also always had a passion for writing and have wanted to try and publish a novel for some time. Work always got in the way, though and the past few years I've been to tired to do it in my free time. My dad was also a great fan of the work I'd tried to write.

So, right now, I am considering simply quitting work. Not in a nasty way - I'd still try and stick it out so that the company can get a replacement in and do a proper handover. But I think it might be a good idea to get rid of the stress of work and learn to live "not for payday." It would also give me time to recharge, do work to the house (which sorely needs it) and try my luck at writing a novel. Of course, I also have to whittle away the money my dad left to me, rather than putting it in to some sort of investment.

I know the obvious answers are the following;

1. Take a chance and do what you dream. You only regret what you never try to accomplish; and,

2. Don't let despair take you. Put the money to good use and don't waste it. It will be better in the long run.

The fact is, though, I feel like I will either quit with my sanity intact or quit because I have a nervous breakdown. But I have also weathered all sorts of stress in the past if I had a good reason to aim for.

So I guess what I really want to know is if anyone has ever made that similar choice (to quit the mundane, but reliable life in favour of trying for their dream) and whether their experience was good or bad. Am I thinking like a naïve teenager or am I being mature in doing what is best for my emotional health?

I'm not sure if there's any good answer to this that anyone can give. I would just be good to hear any similar stories.

Comments

• DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to not quit. I think you are more affected by your father's death than perhaps even you realise. Instead I think it would be better if you approached it by asking for say three months unpaid leave off work so you can adjust to your father's death. That three months would also be valuable thinking time without the stress of work

The reason why I say don't quit is it is always easier to get a job when you already have one, and although you may think you have enough money for the next 2 to 4 years there is no guarantee that you will get a job at the end of that time
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to not quit. I think you are more affected by your father's death than perhaps even you realise. Instead I think it would be better if you approached it by asking for say three months unpaid leave off work so you can adjust to your father's death. That three months would also be valuable thinking time without the stress of work

The reason why I say don't quit is it is always easier to get a job when you already have one, and although you may think you have enough money for the next 2 to 4 years there is no guarantee that you will get a job at the end of that time

I agree with this advice. Alternatively you should visit your doctor, tell him/her that you are feeling stressed and depressed. A colleague of mine was signed off work for about 6 weeks with these symptoms after her father died.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend quit her job after her mum died for similar reasons ( but no money, unfortunately) and she has been unemployed for over 3 years now. However, I have never seen her happier. It was a reckless thing to do, probably the only reckless thing she's ever done, but it was the right thing for her at the time. She misses the wage packet, but no for one minute does she wish she was still at her old job ( a job she'd had for 18 years).

My advice, as from others, would be to first talk your GP and take some time out sick before you make a decision. You are grieving and it is the worst time for making life changing decisions. However, for some , it is the best time. Take some time out to work it out.

Good luck.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one here suggesting a trip to the Drs for a sicknote. It will give you time to think then why not try and negotiate part time hours on your return?
    If you are worried about being off for a long time, ask for a stress risk assessment and ask to reduce your hours then.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's any good answer to this that anyone can give. I would just be good to hear any similar stories.

Yes, you can take a year or two off, but realistically you eventually need to get another job, or set yourself up as a consultant or something, as your novel is unlikely to make you any money.

(I decided to leave my full-time employment, but carried on doing some support work on a self-employed basis. I had enough savings to last me about a year, if I had no further income. In the end it took nearer three years before I started making reasonable money. I was also writing something, but software rather than fiction, and it eventually paid off.

That was over 20 years ago; I've been self-sufficient ever since, and it's a good feeling.)
  • tobesure Aaarh!tobesure Aaarh! Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this economy and with 14 years invested in your company I would say you are taking a great risk.

How old are you?

It you are stressed then get a note from your Doctor and get time off related to stress. Then use that that to analyse whats going on with you and also explore your options. I know people who have been out of work for years or are on much lower and less qualified jobs and are not happy. Instead of thinking present...start thinking and working towards a future.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just do it. I speak as someone who is probably old enough to be your Mum and looking back I spent my life worrying about things and also about other people when I should have spent more time worrying about me.

Your Dad has left you comfortably off so just do what your heart is telling you. Write your novel, go travelling, learn something new, chill out. Just do it. I'm taking it you have nobody else depending on you, as you don't mention them. If you can't do what you want now, when can you?

Best of luck and let us know when the novel is out!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this economy and with 14 years invested in your company I would say you are taking a great risk.

How old are you?

It you are stressed then get a note from your Doctor and get time off related to stress. Then use that that to analyse whats going on with you and also explore your options. I know people who have been out of work for years or are on much lower and less qualified jobs and are not happy. Instead of thinking present...start thinking and working towards a future.

It didn't say it was their company.
  • UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I'm another one in the 'get some time off but don't quit' camp. You need to rest and find out what you really want before taking a drastic course of action. I'm not suggesting you rule it out, just take some time out to think before you leap.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, people, it is much appreciated! I'll just address a few points that have come up for clarity's sake.

Its not my company. I also haven't worked for the same company for 14 year - I've simply worked in IT for 14 years. I've been at my current job for 5 1/2 years. It is also a very small company with only three employees - and only two of them are actual IT engineers. Taking long term leave, even if backed up by a Doctors note, wouldn't work as the company couldn't support itself on only one engineer (and I'm the senior engineer. The other guy couldn't half the stuff I do). So if I did that, I'd be pretty much killing the company. I like my boss as he's a nice guy and I wouldn't want to do that to him (or the other engineer, either, for that matter).

Unfortunately, the only realistic options I have are to either quit or suck it up and carry on. Or get another job, I guess but I don't think that would make things any better.

EDIT: oh and I'm 34!
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well OP I can't advise you against the thing I myself did. I was 40 and had split with my partner a year previously. I thought it's now or never - though looking back I was probably depressed. I sold the house, quit a good but unsatisfying job, went on a 7 month trans Africa trip, then travelled further the next few months. Came back for 3 years then went back to Uganda to work - staying initially with friends made on the trip.
    Of course times are harder now and it's more difficult to find another job but it worked for me and opened up my whole life.
    The difference is you would be staying at home. A lot of the time, when you finish work, you promise yourself you are going to do all sorts of things - but good intentions and all that..... Got the T shirt on that one! Time (and money) whittle away so easily.
    I would be getting into a different environment for a while - but you're not me - else you would be doing it.
    Any chance of them giving you a couple of months unpaid sabbatical?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Even though you are 34 and a long way off from getting your state pension, you need to remember that if you pack up work, you won't be getting your NI pension contributions paid. This will mean a reduced state pension or you will have to pay to make up the qualifying weeks/years.

It's a bad time to quit because you won't be earning much interest on your inheritance. I think you should go down the seeing your GP and getting time off sick route rather than give your job up because you're obviously not thinking straight at the moment. Give yourself time to come to terms with your Dad's death before you jump off the deep end.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    you won't be getting your NI pension contributions paid. This will mean a reduced state pension or you will have to pay to make up the qualifying weeks/years.

You only need 30 years' of contributions for a full pension. Or pay a voluntary rate of about £14 pw.
    It's a bad time to quit because you won't be earning much interest on your inheritance.
    All the more reason to spend some of it now, then! Carrying on working won't make the interest any higher (and it doesn't sound like the sort of sum where you can live off the interest; I think the OP was intending to use some of the capital amount to live on).
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would echo the comments about going to see the doctor. You're describing many of the typical symptoms of depression that people feel at the loss of a loved one. Seeing a therapist is no longer the 'big deal' it once was and it would be good for you to talk through your feelings. Don't make important life decisions whilst you're in this state.

In general terms about quitting your job, I would say that you should look to make the changes to your life you want first and then quit your job only when it becomes necessary. If there are things you've always wanted to do then just do it and work at the same time. If after a while you feel you need the extra time to dedicate to your other activities then you can reassess your job then , but don't quit until you've proven to yourself that you have the dedication to actually go through with it.

In terms of being a published writer, the chances of you making it are similar to going on the x factor and getting to the final 10. It's really not a very likely scenario.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an exceptionally difficult time of maximum vulnerability to stress. It's an opportunity but also a risk. I don't know what's best re leaving or staying. Novel writing maybe but novel writing and working on house sounds less convincing to me. Would you do both or perhaps neither? I wouldn't say that giving up work to spend the time doing up the house is a good idea when you have money you can pay to someone else to do the house.

Can you suggest to your boss going out for a lunchtime snack or a drink and having a chat with him? Say there is something you'd like to have a word about. He may have no inkling just how stressed and near the edge you are feeling. You are a very valuable employee by the sound of it and you could explain that you are finding it difficult to cope with stress since your father died and have even thought of giving up work altogether. He may suggest some solution you hadn't thought of. Or tell you to take a couple of weeks off when the other one returns. He might even offer you a pay rise or a share in the company to make it attractive for you to stay on. Even telling him about it will probably relieve some of the pressure you are feeling.
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you go off sick with stress for a bit, and see if being off work makes you feel better, and if you can actually use the time towards doing something else?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the best treatment for your type of stress and depression is NOT drugs from the pharmacy. Stop work as soon as you can. Set aside one hour a day for writing. Find someone who needs help more than you do (help in the community?) Just get out there and do something different.

When I was made redundant I had 6 wonderful months of doing whatever I wanted and living off my (generous) redundancy pay. Later, I set up in business by myself and never looked back.

You probably won't write another "Harry Potter" but you won't know unless you try. Having some cash in reserve gives you a brilliant opportunity to try new ideas. Go for it, young man!

I didn't get out of the rat race until I was over 50. Far too late really. Yes, arrange to pay your pension contributions and spend your money wisely.

(Come here and stay on Crete for a few weeks. That will give you a different perspective! I'll look after you.)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say quit. You can support yourself financially, just do it, get yourself out of a job that's giving you stress on top of dealing with your dad's death.

My husband quit working at the end of August for a company he had been at for 5 years, because the MD was an idiot and made life as difficult as possible for everyone for every reason. His parents are ill and he wanted to also make sure they were sorted. It was starting to affect him ,getting depressed etc so he quit. 10 weeks later he starts a new job on Monday :)

Do what you need to do to make yourself happy, and if that means leaving to pursue a hobby that won't make you money but will make you happy, do that for a while.

Check this strip out by Bill Watterson, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes

http://zenpencils.com/comic/128-bill-watterson-a-cartoonists-advice/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really surprised at all the cautious comments on here. Really surprised.

I wish I'd been less cautious when I was younger and just listened to my heart.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, people, it is much appreciated! I'll just address a few points that have come up for clarity's sake.

Its not my company. I also haven't worked for the same company for 14 year - I've simply worked in IT for 14 years. I've been at my current job for 5 1/2 years. It is also a very small company with only three employees - and only two of them are actual IT engineers. Taking long term leave, even if backed up by a Doctors note, wouldn't work as the company couldn't support itself on only one engineer (and I'm the senior engineer. The other guy couldn't half the stuff I do). So if I did that, I'd be pretty much killing the company. I like my boss as he's a nice guy and I wouldn't want to do that to him (or the other engineer, either, for that matter).

Unfortunately, the only realistic options I have are to either quit or suck it up and carry on. Or get another job, I guess but I don't think that would make things any better.

I think you should go for it but can I suggest a compromise?

I do agree that life changes can make you re-evaluate your lot and I am so sorry for your loss. However I would think about bereavement counselling either through your GP or take a look at cruse.org.uk . I have suffered the loss of a child and your words in your opening post compelled me to reply to you. I don't know how you feel (I hate it when people say that!) but I do appreciate that it's hard to find empathy in others situations when it feels so banal. But we each have our own tidal waves and who knows what crisis the failing of a PC might lead to for the person on the phone. To a point I think loss can make us cast ourselves in iron and that can be unhealthy. It may well be that your dad's passing is the right reason to move but perhaps you can use this to explore consulting or training instead?

I have been published, in poetry and a short story both based on my grief but after I had completed an Open University degree in creative writing. I am not suggesting that you take an entire degree but that a short creative writing course with a recommended school might help to shape your future.

Take good care of you.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quit my job when my dad died suddenly when I was 23, I needed about a year out. I wasted a lot of money in that time and set myself back quite a bit.

I think you should ask for a sabbatical. Publishing a novel is something you can attempt during that time knowing you have a job to go back to, and can continue working on part time when do you go back on a phased return if you wish.

Making rash decisions like quitting altogether when you aren't yourself is best avoided. Proceed with caution.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They can hire temporary staff.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would suggest more thinking time. If there is any way you can take on unpaid leave for a month or more and the company hire in a temp, then do it. It will give you the space to think things through properly. I may just be about to take a bit leap into the unknown. I have been thinking for a while about a complete change of life (about a year now). If the sale on my house goes through, then sometime in the New Year, I will be off. It has taken me 7 years after a couple of close deaths to get to this point. In some respects, I wish I had done it at the time, but now I think my head is in a much better place to cope and these last 7 years have at least made me realise what I don't want. I don't have any idea yet what I do want! I am not suggesting for one moment you spend 7 years deciding!
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best. It is tough dealing with grief and the annoying and tiring things life brings.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take Mark Twain's advice:

“Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

An event like your father's passing is bound to make you think hard about many things and lack a sense of direction. I was working as a City lawyer in the late 80s and found myself on the treadmill of conventional wisdom expectations. When all the mugs were buying houses in 1988, I went to South America for 3 1/2 months on one of these 20 people on a lorry trips. I watched "The World's Most Dangerous Roads" with Phil Jupitus and Marcus Brigstocke in Bolivia a while ago and the other day on Dave - as they drive across the Bolivian salt pans, MB was saying how amazing it all was etc. and I thought "yes, mate, I know - I went there in 1988 and camped out in minus 20!".

So, I would suggest you go on the Dragoman site and pick a trip - maybe 4-6 weeks as you haven't done it before - or go to the Adventure Travel Show in London at the end of January and just try something new. Although these days, you cannot escape modern tech, you will still be far enough away to see what really matters.

I came back and got a job quite quickly and you are in an industry where you can temp your way back to permanent employment. When I had my next round of job interviews, the female rec con asked about the "gaps" - I had a year out after uni (as frankly, I was exhausted) during which I went to Tanzania for a month. When I then said about South America upon leaving the law, she responded "But you had done that before" - puzzled, I thought, "No, never set foot in the place". I expect she is like most people I know now - spent 30 years at the grindstone with am life's ambition of playing golf or going on a sanitised cruise. I still bore people with SA now.

It is easy to follow the conventional wisdom as most above recommend - but no-one who followed the CW ever achieved anything.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late to edit, so I forgot

Don't think about writing a novel - it is a very crowded area and hard to make your mark despite a mountain of work. I have written some small factual books - the money is poor and you find out that many "names" should be getting environmental prizes for recycling rubbish. You can do that when you have nothing better to do.