Options

Virginmedia

JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC have suddenly started saying that we can recieve Radio 5 live on Virginmedia.

Now I think that Virginmedia provide an excellent service, of course particularly as regards the lowest speed broadband service, which gets 30Mbs - note that is 30 NOT up to 30.

Just as of course is that it is not cheap.

Is the BBC plugging of Virginmedia part of their fight against Sky or is someone taking a backhander?

Comments

• Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

Auntie just wants to make sure everyone knows the alternatives to receiving their services. Doesn't the actual slogan say "on digital, Freesat, Freeview and Virgin Media"? or something along those lines.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't they mention Sky in their list?
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Shouldn't they mention Sky in their list?
    They do.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    The BBC have suddenly started saying that we can recieve Radio 5 live on Virginmedia.

Now I think that Virginmedia provide an excellent service, of course particularly as regards the lowest speed broadband service, which gets 30Mbs - note that is 30 NOT up to 30.

Just as of course is that it is not cheap.

Is the BBC plugging of Virginmedia part of their fight against Sky or is someone taking a backhander?

They mention all platforms all the time.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Really? That's weird, given that it's been available for years :confused:
    Auntie just wants to make sure everyone knows the alternatives to receiving their services. Doesn't the actual slogan say "on digital, Freesat, Freeview and Virgin Media"? or something along those lines.
    Probably "cable" as opposed to a brand name :)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

No......
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? That's weird, given that it's been available for years :confused:

Probably "cable" as opposed to a brand name :)
    No, I think they say the brand names.
    Strangely, the station's website lists all the platforms that 5Live is on but omits Virgin Media! http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/help/howtolisten
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media are a load of rubbish, have had many a weird conversation with their employees, VM are advertising KILLING SERIES on catch up M+ [ what were watching] and above, but when questioned seems they are not stating that in adverts, seems I'm blind and stupid and Deaf
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auntysplat wrote: »
    Virgin Media are a load of rubbish, have had many a weird conversation with their employees, VM are advertising KILLING SERIES on catch up M+ [ what were watching] and above, but when questioned seems they are not stating that in adverts, seems I'm blind and stupid and Deaf

They are advertising The Killing as being available on Netflix (available via their Tivo boxes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Doesn't the actual slogan say "on digital, Freesat, Freeview and Virgin Media"? >

Yes it is like that. It excludes the way that nearly everybody actually listens, medium wave radio, and also of course Sky'

The BBC still carry on plugging digital radio presumably to please their government masters, who ask them to, whereas the public knows that digital radio has been a failure e.g. LBC have abandoned it altogether.

However what I have noticed is that they have very suddenly just started saying Virginmedia, and I wonder why. My guess is that extremely few people listen to radio 5 on their TV. As we own the BBC, I think we have the right to know.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < Doesn't the actual slogan say "on digital, Freesat, Freeview and Virgin Media"? >

Yes it is like that. It excludes the way that nearly everybody actually listens, medium wave radio, and also of course Sky'

The BBC still carry on plugging digital radio presumably to please their government masters, who ask them to, whereas the public knows that digital radio has been a failure e.g. LBC have abandoned it altogether.

However what I have noticed is that they have very suddenly just started saying Virginmedia, and I wonder why. My guess is that extremely few people listen to radio 5 on their TV. As we own the BBC, I think we have the right to know.

It's only been a failure because it's hard to receive digital radio in vehicles, which is where a lot of people listen.

Unfortunately it's quite expensive to broadcast in both OTA and Digital and most stations choose one over the other, and often prefer digital because play out is initially already digital.

Soon I feel stations may start to end FM broadcasts as it's not as cost effective anymore especially with the quite strict rules in place by OFCOM.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    auntysplat wrote: »
    Virgin Media are a load of rubbish...
    Sorry but that is a sweeping generalisation that I find fault with as I have never had any major issues with the company.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LBC allowed their regional DAB slots outside London (which they used to broadcast LBC outside London last year) to expire and are now back on DAB truly nationwide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    It's only been a failure because it's hard to receive digital radio in vehicles, which is where a lot of people listen.

Unfortunately it's quite expensive to broadcast in both OTA and Digital and most stations choose one over the other, and often prefer digital because play out is initially already digital.

Soon I feel stations may start to end FM broadcasts as it's not as cost effective anymore especially with the quite strict rules in place by OFCOM.

It is actually easy to receive digital radio in my car, all that is needed is a digital radio.

Most people think it is failing because the batteries on digital radios run out after a few hours, you can hardly listen to a day's test match.

The answer of course is to get an internet radio and plug it in when one is not listening. It works all over the house and garden and there are many thousands of stations.

As for FM radio, there are hardly any stations on it.