Cameron heckled at Age UK conference

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    When did a room of people firing questions at an MP become mockery and heckling?

I was expecting to see something a bit more Statler and Waldorf judging by the way OHG and the anti Dave brigade have been harping on. Looked nothing more than extracts from an open QnA session to me. Wasn't it supposed to be? :confused:

From the excerpts I've seen his biggest problem came when it came to questions he immediately went to the press/meeja present for the questions and not the delegates...had in effect to negotiate a deal with the audience to take two questions from meeja first.

The delegates were clearly under the impression he was there to talk to them and answer their questions...nobody told them they were effectively seat fillers/stooges for a Dave meeja event.

The problem was Dave was working to one agenda/script (give speech/do meeja and then take a few questions from the wrinkly demographic) and the dotty old folk either hadn't read that one or been given it. Silly old fools thought he was there for them and then spat their Werthers when they realised they were merely window dressing.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The link (also used by OHG in his thread about it) is the incorrect one?

No. :)

There are a few different clips around. One or two have been much kinder to Cameron....(in fact that is a whole topic in itself).
    There will be people who have not seen the Telegraph compilation (which is also in the OHG thread) of the audience irritation who will be thinking that Cameron's apperance was not that bad.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should know better than address a bunch of Mrs Gradys. They are never satisfied.

"We want the NHS like it used to be".

:D

It IS like it used to be. It was useless then and it's useless now.

She probably yearns for 405 line television and return of The Light Programme.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron then tried to convince Age UK that he was the only party that bothered to turn up, until he was told otherwise :p
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron then tried to convince Age UK that he was the only party that bothered to turn up, until he was told otherwise :p

Forget a third term...you have to wonder if he's still got enough marbles left to make it TO a second never mind manage five years.

Put this with forgetting his daughter and maybe he was attending to get some advice on dealing with forgetfulness and confusion ;-);-)
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget a third term...you have to wonder if he's still got enough marbles left to make it TO a second never mind manage five years.

Let's be honest, he barely even got a first term seeing as he didn't get a majroity
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    He should know better than address a bunch of Mrs Gradys. They are never satisfied.

But with a ever ageing population their votes are so important. Most the population dont think the NHS is useless, and the ones that do can go private if they wish or not use the NHS
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That bit was very funny & almost ironic in light of his recent chicken antics surrounding the televised debates.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, she's older than Cameron and probably has far more knowledge and experience of the NHS than he has.
    He should have spent more time listening to their concerns instead of fobbing them off.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, back in the day when people dropped down dead within a few years of retiring, when there were no modern drugs or equipment and survival rates for cancer, heart attacks and stroke were very low.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, she's older than Cameron and probably has far more knowledge and experience of the NHS than he has.
    He should have spent more time listening to their concerns instead of fobbing them off.

So true.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread is supposed to be about the so called mockery and heckling from the audience. Did you see anything in that clip to suggest that?

Considering it's been edited to give the illusion of such and I can't see it, I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about.

My honest impression was that he was so condescending he could have been doing a Punch and Judy show for a group of children.

As far as the editing goes the media do that all the time, look what they did to EM eating a bacon butty.
    Forum Member
    More than a third of people aged 65 years and over believe Britain has become a worse place to live over the past 12 months, according to new research for Age UK. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-news/third-of-over-65s-think-britain-has-become-a-worse-place-to-live/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    More than a third of people aged 65 years and over believe Britain has become a worse place to live over the past 12 months, according to new research for Age UK.

I'm over 65 and I agree it has, not for me personally but it has become worse for younger people. It's mostly the way they are all being lumped together as being lazy and not wanting to work just because of the very very few people who are lazy and don't want to work.

In truth there are not enough jobs, if there are as many job vacancies as this Government tells us then why are so many people on work fare scheme, why is this Government not making the unemployed take these vacant jobs instead of going on these schemes?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My honest impression was that he was so condescending he could have been doing a Punch and Judy show for a group of children.

As far as the editing goes the media do that all the time, look what they did to EM eating a bacon butty.

The problem with BaconButtygate wasn't the way he ate it (it's easy to make a mess eating a bacon sarnie) but it was the visual of him sitting all alone. if he had sat eating with a group of market workers or even party volunteers then it would have shown him mixing with people rather than being a loner.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did a room of people firing questions at an MP become mockery and heckling?

I was expecting to see something a bit more Statler and Waldorf judging by the way OHG and the anti Dave brigade have been harping on. Looked nothing more than extracts from an open QnA session to me. Wasn't it supposed to be? :confused:

I see, "harping on" well you may well have a point if myself and the "anti Dave brigade" being opposed to the Tories and to their beloved leader (in a democracy) makes us part of a "brigade" for daring to not hold the same views and opinions as the Tory faithful, I am certainly not in the least surprised that we should suddenly become a "brigade"

However, although I would of course never deny you the right to hold whatever opinion you wish,
    I think that if you want far better examples of "harping on" I politely suggest you check out some of the "bacon sandwich" threads, or the 'controversy' over pink buses and 2 kitchens.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you get the feeling that someone else does Dave's homework?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The problem with BaconButtygate wasn't the way he ate it (it's easy to make a mess eating a bacon sarnie) but it was the visual of him sitting all alone. if he had sat eating with a group of market workers or even party volunteers then it would have shown him mixing with people rather than being a loner.

He wasn't "all alone" though, he was sat with two other people :confused:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/miliband-bacon-sandwich-moment-112512937.html
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see, "harping on" well you may well have a point if myself and the "anti Dave brigade" being opposed to the Tories and to their beloved leader (in a democracy) makes us part of a "brigade" for daring to not hold the same views and opinions as the Tory faithful, I am certainly not in the least surprised that we should suddenly become a "brigade"

However, although I would of course never deny you the right to hold whatever opinion you wish,
    I think that if you want far better examples of "harping on" I politely suggest you check out some of the "bacon sandwich" threads, or the 'controversy' over pink buses and 2 kitchens.

I'm not gonna take advice about "harping on" from the bloke who has been obsessively prefixing every mention of Cameron with the word "feeble" of late.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna take advice about "harping on" from the bloke who has been obsessively prefixing every mention of Cameron with the word "feeble" of late.
    I am only quoting the beloved leaders very own words, I suggest that if it upsets you then it's the beloved leader who is responsible.

http://labourlist.org/2015/01/10-times-david-cameron-praised-tv-debates/
    “If you want the TV debates to go ahead you have got to do it fairly between the main parties and look, having said I want them, having challenged people to have them and quite right, Sky saying let’s have them, it would have been feeble to find some excuse to back out so I thought we’ve got to stick at this, we’ve got to do it. It will be challenging, it was, but I think I came through them.” – David Cameron, Sky News, 3 May 2010

Feeble David's very own words, I am simply agreeing with him.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    But with a ever ageing population their votes are so important. Most the population dont think the NHS is useless, and the ones that do can go private if they wish or not use the NHS

Of course their votes are important, which is why the government has famously ensured they've done better than any other demographic. They tend, however, to never be satisfied.

You are right - most of the population swallow the guff about the NHS peddled like a mantra by Burnham and Labour. I think they're mad, and that over time as more and more people suffer at the hands of our National Killing Service it will dawn on them that it is nothing to do with funding and everything to do with the structure.

I would very much like a much better health service for EVERYONE, but until the penny drops that it will never happen without scrapping the NHS and starting again, I will indeed find comfort in my private insurance.
    Forum Member
    Of course their votes are important, which is why the government has famously ensured they've done better than any other demographic. They tend, however, to never be satisfied.

You are right - most of the population swallow the guff about the NHS peddled like a mantra by Burnham and Labour. I think they're mad, and that over time as more and more people suffer at the hands of our National Killing Service it will dawn on them that it is nothing to do with funding and everything to do with the structure.

I would very much like a much better health service for EVERYONE, but until the penny drops that it will never happen without scrapping the NHS and starting again, I will indeed find comfort in my private insurance.

Well at least under the new rules we will be able to read reports on private hospital and other private health care centres, as they are now going to be under the same inspection rules as the NHS.
    Care Quality Commission announces first new style inspections of independent hospitals

Today, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) announces that independent (private) hospitals will begin to be inspected under its new inspection approach.

The Chief Inspector of Hospitals Sir Mike Richards has identified eight independent hospitals to be inspected. These vary in size and in the number and type of services they provide, including both NHS-funded care and solely private care.

The first new style inspections will allow us to test out our new model in different independent hospital settings. CQC will expect to receive equivalent information about performance to that it receives from NHS hospitals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye bye.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am only quoting the beloved leaders very own words

The words "convenient", "selective" and "incessant" spring to mind.

I suggest that if it upsets you then it's the beloved leader who is responsible.

Upset? Sorry to disappoint, but it'll take a lot more than the use of a few childish adjectives to achieve that, particularly having clocked that one of the forums most ardent critics of such nonsense employs it with such gusto themselves.

If anything I find it amusing.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age UK is a charity, which are notoriously left wing. I'm not surprised he got bit of a raw deal.