Tennis Elbow Surgery

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody had this and how successful was it??

Comments

• cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Has anybody had this and how successful was it??

I am sure you don't need surgery,an injection should do the trick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I am sure you don't need surgery,an injection should do the trick.

How do you know this??

Surgery is sometimes used to relieve tennis elbow, the surgery can be very successful but it is all dependant on the actual patient and how bad it is.

Injections can be done but sometimes they are not any use and surgery is needed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Depending on the type of surgery they want to do, I would strongly advise against it. I had similar surgery but at the shoulder end of the tendon and I am having far more problems now than I did before the operation. I am a tennis player and it has severely affected every aspect of my life, not just the sporting side.

Unless it is absolutely necessary and you have had it for a long time, I wouldn't have the surgery and instead have a cortisone shot and ice it at least 3 times a day if you haven't already to see if that eases it slightly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had it treated conservatively for 18 months now - injections, physio, analgesia. The injections are no longer effective and I am in constant pain. Have been told that surgery is the answer.
  • smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had injectios, physio, acupuncture, rebok, weird bracelet thingies and every other possible cure known to man except surgery - none of which did any good. I couldn't even lift a kettle or turn a tap on with that hand. I wasn't offered surgery though, the only thing that actually cured it was doing absolutely nothing with that arm for 3 months.

I think if I was offered surgery I'd have been quite wary though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the clasp thingy too (to no avail) know exactly what you mean about the tap and the kettle!!! and having to make sure that all wine bottles are screw top...... I cannot believe how debilitating it is :cry::cry::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I've had the clasp thingy too (to no avail) know exactly what you mean about the tap and the kettle!!! and having to make sure that all wine bottles are screw top...... I cannot believe how debilitating it is :cry::cry::cry:

I'm still struggling 6 months after surgery to pour a kettle, hang clothes up, put plates up on a shelf, wash my hair etc...so frustrating and until you aren't able to do seemingly menial tasks, you don't realize how much it affects you.

Totally sympathize with you OP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I had 2 sessions of acupuncture in my local GP's about a year ago and have never looked back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having now explored every avenue (nothing worked :cry:)I am now undergoing surgery next week .
  • RoanRoan Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had surgery about 3 years ago for tennis elbow after injections and other treatments did not work, and for me it has worked. I was told that it had an 85% chance to work. The only thing I will say is that I could not do anything for 8weeks after!!