The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Caught up with Friday's episode, 'Strange Bedfellows'. Decent episode, got better towards the end but a tad slow. Loved seeing Burnside and Jack working together. Best bit was when Quinnan put extra salt and chilli on the paedophile's fish and chips. 6/10.

Today's episode was excellent. Starting to really dislike Brownlow. Very slimy character who takes credit for everything Conway does. The Santini subplot was good continuity. The bomb plot was inspired and flowed nicely. The focus on uniform was great - I've noticed that most episode with uniform are very fast paced and keeps your attention more than CID episodes, which often get bogged down with little details. 9/10.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this channel available on Virgin ?

I can find CBS drama but not one called drama
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it is I'm afraid - can someone else confirm?

Looking forward to Puzzled on Friday - not seen it before but synopsis sounds good. Ironic thing is end of this week/beginning of next it's Christmas in Sun Hill on both Watch and Drama - might have to have roast Turkey in tribute!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    What year is it on at the mo?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's a good era at the moment - the late 90s were interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knut88 wrote: »
    What year is it on at the mo?

December 1998 - 1999 starts next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    December 1998 - 1999 starts next week.

Thank you.
    Forum Member
    Monday's episode was good. Nice story - wouldn't have suspected the waiter but at times, the story seemed to just waffle on and on and get disjointed, which is a shame. 6.5/10.

Yesterday's episode, "Personal Touch", was a mixed bag for me. Burnside so nearly found Beech out. Beech is such a crook but I wasn't convinced by the story. Another one that was just disjointed and confusing, that I couldn't really follow it properly. A shame, as the episode promised so much. 6/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal's Touch was today wasn't it?! You've just made me very confused! :p

I was genuinely gripped by the bit where Beech attacked Burnside. It was nice to see Liz yesterday (I think!) too but neither storyline was classic Bill. Probably 6/10 for both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Is this channel available on Virgin ?

I can find CBS drama but not one called drama

It's just appeared on channel 190

I'm sure it wasn't there before
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just appeared on channel 190

I'm sure it wasn't there before

Yeah I think they've only just reached an agreement - good news though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Yeah I think they've only just reached an agreement - good news though!

Ah OK.

Does that mean they'll repeat everything they've shown so far
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah OK.

Does that mean they'll repeat everything they've shown so far

I'd doubt it sadly!

However you can find a couple of episodes on YouTube, such as Team play from last week - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz9xSeCqtpIepkas7usv9n-TEwbEwHkXy

Hopefully the fact they've shown these episodes will at least mean one channel or another goes back to them at some point when they need to rewind their repeats.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    Celebrity supporting cast in today's "Personal Touch" with Leslie Grantham and a very young Denise van Outen playing his girlfriend.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Celebrity supporting cast in today's "Personal Touch" with Leslie Grantham and a very young Denise van Outen playing his girlfriend.

And did you notice in the fight scene at the end, a very brief appearance by Chris Simmons, later to play "Mickey Webb"?
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Denise van Outen and 'Dirty Den' in tonight's episode.:o
  • Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me please what year the big riot (think it was a riot?) was that killed alot of the cast and blew up the cop (cant remember his name) in the car? That's when I started watching originally and would love to see it again.
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me please what year the big riot (think it was a riot?) was that killed alot of the cast and blew up the cop (cant remember his name) in the car? That's when I started watching originally and would love to see it again.

Sounds like 2002 when a petrol bomb was thrown into Derek Conway's car and killed him or when Des Taviner threw a petrol bomb into the station killing 6 officers. We should be reaching 2002 in around 14-15 months time, so next October-ish maybe.

And today's episode quite enjoyable. Enjoyed Daly and Rawton working undercover. Didn't seem to drag as much as other episodes. 7/10.

Plus I've been watching some episodes on the SuperstarCID YouTube channel. There's two crackers - "The Writing on the Wall" and "Performance Anxiety" which I would recommend to any Bill fan. "Writing on the Wall" has lots of comedy in it centering around Reg and "Performance Anxiety" focusing on Unfiorm and CID trying to solve as many crimes as quickly as possible.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed todays episode, its very different from when I watched it 2002 onwards.
    I love Don Beech, i rememeber his exit with Clare Stanton and Jon someone when I first started watching.

i still dont understand why they show the days before episode- they could do two hours of two episodes a day instead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught up with Friday's episode, 'Strange Bedfellows'. Decent episode, got better towards the end but a tad slow. Loved seeing Burnside and Jack working together. Best bit was when Quinnan put extra salt and chilli on the paedophile's fish and chips. 6/10.

Liked that scene with the fish and chips although there were a couple of things I didn't quite get:

1. Why was the fish and chip guy so suspicious about why Dave wasn't in uniform? Particularly as it was the evening, I'd have thought it was reasonable enough to just think that Dave had gone along in his own time for dinner!

2. Why did they refuse to serve Dave when they found out about the peadophile? It seemed a bit harsh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »

i still dont understand why they show the days before episode- they could do two hours of two episodes a day instead

I think they feel it gives more value for money for them to show it a few times rather than just the once - it also has the benefit that if you miss one for whatever reason you at least get some chance to catch-up on it.

2 episodes a day would also be quite a lot to work through. It goes quick enough as it is and considering they only have a limited amount of episodes to show I can't imagine they're in too much rush to get through them all.

Thought today's episode was reasonable and helped by having 2 separate storylines. 6/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Plus I've been watching some episodes on the SuperstarCID YouTube channel. There's two crackers - "The Writing on the Wall" and "Performance Anxiety" which I would recommend to any Bill fan. "Writing on the Wall" has lots of comedy in it centering around Reg and "Performance Anxiety" focusing on Unfiorm and CID trying to solve as many crimes as quickly as possible.

I like 'Writing on the Wall' and also 'Neutral Territory' - but my absolute favourite from those available is Dancers!
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only started watching from last Friday. I think the only characters I haven't seen yet are Boulton and Polly. Is PC Loxton still in these episodes? I think he left around 1998?

Some of the cuts are starting to get noticeable. The editor is a bit rough with the scissors!
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan_Cbbc wrote: »
    They did yeah, I know Tom, Gary and Kerry quit not sure about Rod Skase though anyone know if he quit or was axed?

I wish I knew too. Rod is the only character that I can't remember how he leaves? I must have missed it in the original run because hes not there when Daly, Deakin, Holmes are all transferred. Did he just disappear?!
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I wish I knew too. Rod is the only character that I can't remember how he leaves? I must have missed it in the original run because hes not there when Daly, Deakin, Holmes are all transferred. Did he just disappear?!
    He resigned following a case he mishandled in which a child died.