Options

How would you feel if your spouse/partner told you they had been raped?

Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
and obviously they had....it just got me thinking about Linda. Is she afraid to tell Mick because its someone from his family, she doesn't want Mick to be upset or does she think her relationship with Mick won't be the same as he won't love her like he used to....? Just a thought.....not sure how different type of people react with different emotions to something like this....

Comments

• Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie Bright said in an interview Linda fears things won't be the same for Mick plus Linda knows that Mick would kill Dean
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    As Lollipop has said, in this particular case Bright has mad clear that the over riding concern of Linda's is that Mick will react violently and attack Dean which wauld result in a prison term for him which she doesn't want for anyone's sake. There is also the added complication that they have only ever been with each other (no prior lovers) and that , in these days somewhat unique, bond being taken away is another issue. It wasn't her fault but Mick is now not the only man to 'know' her in the biblical sense.

I think it is very hard to say for sure but I can say what i've felt when friends have told me they've been attacked: anger, frustration, sorrow, sickness, wanting to do anything to take the pain away.

I guess those feelings would be even worse if it were your spouse.

As a married woman, i think I'd be scared of my husband seeking vengeance if the person was known to us. He's not an overly violent man but in those kind of circumstances I'm not sure what he'd do. Come to that i'd be concerned about my father (who does have a very bad temper though is probably too old to be very effective now) and my brother's reactions as well. It is great to have strong, protective men around that love you but if there is a concern they would take the law into their own hands if somebody violently assaulted you, then for their protection you might keep quiet.
  • Options
    Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a situation in my life where I was aggressively taken from a pub. It took 3 security guards to get me away from the men. When my boyfriend found out he was furious! He wanted to go down to the pub, see any footage and get any information on these men. Thankfully he eventually saw that it was pointless as the police had been involved. So I can totally see why Mick would react violently. But still not 100% sure why Linda isn't speaking up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kazz_x wrote: »
    There was a situation in my life where I was aggressively taken from a pub. It took 3 security guards to get me away from the men. When my boyfriend found out he was furious! He wanted to go down to the pub, see any footage and get any information on these men. Thankfully he eventually saw that it was pointless as the police had been involved. So I can totally see why Mick would react violently. But still not 100% sure why Linda isn't speaking up.

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your experience but glad there were people (security guards) there to help and stop it from being worse.

I think you've answered your own question - Linda is scared that Mick will 'over react' and attack Dean in vengeance getting himself into trouble with the Police before he has time to calm down. We've already been told that he 'sorted' the photographer that talked her into doing the topless modelling shots - whatever that means.

Plus she is also probably worried about her children's reactions - especially Lee who we have now been told has a history of violent outbursts and is ovely protective of his siblings - can you imagine his reaction to his mother being raped?
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be furious at the person who committed the heinous crime and would naturally want to beat them to a pulp. But also hugely sympathetic, caring, considerate to my partner and make sure I didn't do anything that upset them further.

I would feel pretty useless and powerless that they were went through such a traumatic ordeal on their own without anybody to help them.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    My ex-husband would have said that I'd have been "asking for it" and given me a good beating. In his mind I would have been entirely at fault for putting myself in such a position in the first place. One of the reasons why I divorced him.

Many insecure men become jealous and controlling. They treat their partners as if they owned them and they have to dance to their tune.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    Angry
    Disgusted
    Helpless
    Confused
    Betrayed
    Depressed
    Paranoid
    Sickened

Probably just a few of the different emotions I expect Mick to go through once it all comes out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Angry
    Disgusted
    Helpless
    Confused
    Betrayed
    Depressed
    Paranoid
    Sickened

Probably just a few of the different emotions I expect Mick to go through once it all comes out

Exactly.

I would add to that impotent in the more general rather than sexual usage. Which is why many people try to take power back into their own hands.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Exactly.

I would add to that impotent in the more general rather than sexual usage. Which is why many people try to take power back into their own hands.

True. Mick is someone who takes pride in being a good husband, he will probably feel like he has failed Linda, especially as he was the one who let Dean into their home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    My ex-husband would have said that I'd have been "asking for it" and given me a good beating. In his mind I would have been entirely at fault for putting myself in such a position in the first place. One of the reasons why I divorced him.

Many insecure men become jealous and controlling. They treat their partners as if they owned them and they have to dance to their tune.

I have to say that it sounds like you are well out of there.

There is a 'possission' element to it though, even in a non controlling or abusive relationship. When you marry you commit to each other in body and soul. You say that this other person owns your body secondly to you - indeed in terms of decisions being made in accident, illness and after death they do 'own' your body. That 'ownership' has been challenged in a vase and fundamental way - somebody else has 'taken' their property without permission and must be punished.

That might sound rather caveman and primal but I do think it is a factor in how men deal with issues like rape to women in their family. I do also think it isn't just husband's but father's (especially fathers), brothers, sons etc.

I'm coming at this from a pov of woman being raped and male reaction. Of course men can be raped as well, and female relatives will also have reactions to somebody (male or female) being raped. I think the main emotions would be the same but they wpuldn't have the alpha male need to feel they MUST do something to set things straight in an equally violent way not only for the victims sake but to prove that they are still a 'dominant' male.

Women will be angry, want justice, vengeance but not try and achieve it personally. Hence wanting to go to the Police.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank goodness he is your ex, sounds a controlling idiot.
    I think a lot of partners would be horrified but sympathetic and supportive to their partner.
    I can understand why she hasn't told Mick, he would really do serious damage to Dean.
    I have been wondering what would happen if she keeps the baby, does a DNA test without Mick knowing but seeing that we now believe Mick and Dean are brothers, how would that work. Is it so precise it can distinguish between brothers? Would Linda be fooled into thinking it was Mick's?
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I would be furious at the person who committed the heinous crime and would naturally want to beat them to a pulp. But also hugely sympathetic, caring, considerate to my partner and make sure I didn't do anything that upset them further.

I would feel pretty useless and powerless that they were went through such a traumatic ordeal on their own without anybody to help them.

This seems the most accurate and appropriate account of what a partner might feel but also how they should react.

Without trying to denigrate a victim's perfectly natural fearful reaction to having to tell people particularly a partner I can't help feeling in this instance anyway Linda is hiding behind her fear of what Mick might do. Mick has come across as the most caring of partners I think we've ever encountered on EE and though I appreciate he no doubt does have the ability to react aggressively wouldn't he control that as his over riding concern would be Linda and what she wants.

I suppose the difficulty lies in the rapist being so close to home but I can't help feeling Linda is more worried about being blamed and is actually hiding behind the idea of protecting Mick. Whatever, I think she's doing him a disservice and causing him even more angst if that's possible by not telling him but of course this isn't exactly realistic.

EE must have it's pound of flesh in postponing the reveal of this to sometime around erm Christmas :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kazz_x wrote: »

Because her sense of safety, identity and trust have beenn violated beyond belief. Her mind and life is in tatters as it is and she knows if she speaks out then it will be ruined even more. Plus, who's to say who'll believe what?

I personally have been in a very similar situation so if there's any other questions on her reaction (I had a similar one, eventually spoke up for the sake of my own sanity) then ask away.
  • Options
    Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because her sense of safety, identity and trust have beenn violated beyond belief. Her mind and life is in tatters as it is and she knows if she speaks out then it will be ruined even more. Plus, who's to say who'll believe what?

I personally have been in a very similar situation so if there's any other questions on her reaction (I had a similar one, eventually spoke up for the sake of my own sanity) then ask away.

I think you've answered my query perfectly. I am so sorry to hear about your experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience and my best wishes for your and your family's well being.

If it isn't too intrusive, may I ask your views on the Linda rape storyline - ie is it helpfull of offensive to the victims of rape. Because a lot of people that have,'t gone through it (or at least haven't publicly declared they have which is their right( are throwing judgements around that it is boring, insensitive, inaccurate.

I declare roght now that I haven't been raped (though i have been in situations I've found threatening) but I do know many people that have been raped as adults or abused as children and they tend to be positive about it being shown on screen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to hear of your experience and my best wishes for your and your family's well being.

If it isn't too intrusive, may I ask your views on the Linda rape storyline - ie is it helpfull of offensive to the victims of rape. Because a lot of people that have,'t gone through it (or at least haven't publicly declared they have which is their right( are throwing judgements around that it is boring, insensitive, inaccurate.

I declare roght now that I haven't been raped (though i have been in situations I've found threatening) but I do know many people that have been raped as adults or abused as children and they tend to be positive about it being shown on screen.

Thank you, it wasn't very long ago but I have moved on leaps and bounds in my life since then so I'm doing very well now.

I think Linda's storyline has quite clearly been very well researched. Kellie Bright's acting reminded me a lot of, well, myself and there were times I couldn't actually watch because it was so accurate that it upset me too much. She didn't cry afterwards or for days, neither did I. She just walked around confused and shocked, that's exactly what it's like. You just can't believe that this is your reality, it's almost like the entire world and what you believe about people changes in an instant but you don't want to believe this person has done what they have done to you but it's all you can think about, all day every day. You are quite literally entered into hell and you're alone there.

So in a nutshell, I'm very proud of EastEnders and happy that it has been so well done from what I have seen so far.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    My brothers girlfriend was raped and it has a devastating effect not only on the couple, but also her relationship with her family and also our family.

I completely understand why Linda is scared to speak up, it absolutely has the potential to tear the family apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm really sorry to you and any other person that has been through this. Karma always gets revenge.

I know what you mean thats why I'm thinking maybe Linda feels scared how he would react? say he know about the kiss from Nancy (just an example)....I know some men like you said would think well she had something with Dean maybe she's asking for it....maybe she wanted it and would blame the women (even though I know Mick wouldn't do that) but I know some men that do....those that suffer from NPD and are extremely insecure and jealous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Angry
    Disgusted
    Helpless
    Confused
    Betrayed
    Depressed
    Paranoid
    Sickened

Would it make it hard for you to 'approach' your husband/wife/partner? Would things be the same? or would you be more overprotective of them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would buy a croissant and put on coronation Street. Then make a video about the life of Liz Mcdonald and ensure I also discuss Stella price. Sleep until 5 o clock and then go for a walk outside before slapping Linda. Then mock the ways people pronounce Sharon's name on eastenders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some men who can't handle it at all and feel the need to end the relationship? Is it because someone has violated what they loved/ someone else has 'had' (hate using that word) their female? (again men who are extremely insecure and jealous) or is it that they feel like a failure thats why they end the relationship?

I guess it all depends on how the person is.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I feel like there'd be so many heavy layers of emotion involved - ranging from rage at the person responsible and devastation/helplessness - that it's too difficult to comprehend unless it's become a personal situation for someone. I imagine it to be such an awful violation in so many ways, that it's hard to try and imagine how I'd be in Mick and Linda's situation that my mind doesn't want to go there, so I feel so much for the people that have lived through it. In Mick and Linda's case (and probably many others) their relationship was about only ever being intimate with each other and throughout their relationship and they were both horrified at the thought of there being anyone else. So for someone to come and shatter that to pieces and then to just walk around like nothing happened, happily having dinner with the family on the table where it happened and being completely oblivious to the destruction they have caused must be awful. Kellie Bright is a brilliant actress though, I sometimes forget that she is only acting during her scenes.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was raped before I met my husband. I told him fairly early in our relationship, and although he didn't know the man who had raped me, I didn't tell him the man's name for years in fear that my husband would go after him. If I were in Linda's position (my rapist being not only known but a family member), I'm certain I'd feel the despair she feels.

Linda has a million reasons right now why she feels telling Mick (or anyone else) about the rape is wrong. There's the fact mentioned by other posters that she and Mick had only been with each other up until this point. There was the forced kiss and grope from Dean that Linda didn't tell anyone about that (in her mind) may have meant she unintentionally led him on. There was Sharon's misunderstanding that led to her warning Linda not to give men false signals. There's the fear that no one will believe her, or that she will be called a liar by family members. She likely has a fear that Dean might turn on her again. And Linda is probably petrified about what her pregnancy might mean - that the baby is Dean's, that Mick might not accept her or the baby, that she might reject the child herself, or that Dean might want to be involved if the baby is his.

I'm glad that the story seems to have picked up a little. Although I found it very believable that Linda would clam up about the rape, it was getting frustrating to watch her suffer. But I can absolutely believe the pain she's going through. I do hope that she will get a lot of support - particularly from Mick - when the story comes out, and that Dean will end up far away from her.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100% protective