Corrie: It Needs A Dtc!!!!

2»

Comments

• jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted about the difference between Blackburn and DTC on a separate thread a while back.

Dom loves every nook and cranny of the show and cares about every single character and makes the decisions after thoroughly thinking about them..

Blackburn honestly doesn't give two flicks about CS and must literally go "right make Faye pregnant, it worked before it will work again!" "bring in a new family, they'll be loved by all and we can shack Leanne up with the dad" he doesn't seem to think through his decisions :/
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen an episode of East Enders so I'm not familiar with this guy, but if anyone were to take over Coronation Street I'd like to see it be Kate Oates. She has done a wonderful job with Emmerdale, the show is very exciting with the Declan/Charity stuff, Ross/Donna and Robert/Aaron. Also she has been able to have some real surprises by keeping stuff hidden, like Charity leaving and Rachel's return. If Kate Oates were able to bring these types of stories to Corrie, it would be must see tv just like its sister show is right now.

On another note does Kate Oates have a relative that is a writer for Corrie? I noticed that some of the episodes are written by a Debbie Oates.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should be axed and itv focus on the one soap tbh. Two soaps with 4/5 episodes a
    Week is ridiculous for one channel imo.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should be axed and itv focus on the one soap tbh. Two soaps with 4/5 episodes a

Definitely!
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is being held together by a small group of golden oldies and a few characters like Carla and Steve. Whenever they're not in it, the show is an utter shambles! And even when they are in it, they don't have a massive effect tbh.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen an episode of East Enders so I'm not familiar with this guy, but if anyone were to take over Coronation Street I'd like to see it be Kate Oates. She has done a wonderful job with Emmerdale, the show is very exciting with the Declan/Charity stuff, Ross/Donna and Robert/Aaron. Also she has been able to have some real surprises by keeping stuff hidden, like Charity leaving and Rachel's return. If Kate Oates were able to bring these types of stories to Corrie, it would be must see tv just like its sister show is right now.

On another note does Kate Oates have a relative that is a writer for Corrie? I noticed that some of the episodes are written by a Debbie Oates.

I agree strongly with this. I think Kate Oates has done a wonderful job with Emmerdale.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV is not going to bin it off after having just spent a small fortune on a new set.

It's perfectly savable but they do have to urgently accept it needs some serious attention before turning it around becomes an even bigger job than it is already.

The difficulty is that we don't see any evidence that they accept that there's even a problem. :confused:
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member

I can't see Corrie ever being axed thankfully nor Emmerdale either, I love both of these soaps because they are very different from each other.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I can't see Corrie ever being axed thankfully nor Emmerdale either, I love both of these soaps because they are very different from each other.

I think he meant cut down on some of the Episodes
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with other FMs that Daran Little is the obvious 'saviour' of Coronation Street, however I think that the reality of this happening anytime soon is unlikely.

My gut instinct has always told me that there was some bad blood between Daran and the more senior management at Corrie leading up to the time of his first departure in 2006. I know that he made subsequent returns to write for the show here and there, but something about his relationship with Corrie changed dramatically between 2004 and 2006. This is the man who really did live and breathe Coronation Street - now he's hardly involved with the show.

Whether this was down to Daran simply wanting to broaden his career or down to internal tensions at ITV we'll never know. I often wonder if he was overlooked for promotion within the Coronation Street team more than once and decided he had had enough.

I would love to see him back. He is the obvious choice for Coronation Street and something that the show desperately needs.
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What would be ridiculous is to cancel a show that has over a 30% share of the viewing audience. Plus what exactly would you replace Coronation Street with? The network would be left with 2.5 hrs of programming to fill a week. Canceling long running soaps is usually a bad idea. ABC thought they had a bright idea to save money by canceling both All My Children and One Life to Live and replace them with talk shows, and planned to do the same to General Hospital. However after the replacement shows for AMC and OLTL failed miserably ABC decided to keep GH. Soaps bring a stable reliable audience and cancelling them for reasons other than being at the bottom of the ratings is a really bad idea.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with other FMs that Daran Little is the obvious 'saviour' of Coronation Street, however I think that the reality of this happening anytime soon is unlikely.

My gut instinct has always told me that there was some bad blood between Daran and the more senior management at Corrie leading up to the time of his first departure in 2006. I know that he made subsequent returns to write for the show here and there, but something about his relationship with Corrie changed dramatically between 2004 and 2006. This is the man who really did live and breathe Coronation Street - now he's hardly involved with the show.

Whether this was down to Daran simply wanting to broaden his career or down to internal tensions at ITV we'll never know. I often wonder if he was overlooked for promotion within the Coronation Street team more than once and decided he had had enough.

I would love to see him back. He is the obvious choice for Coronation Street and something that the how desperately needs.

Excellent post KK. Agree with all of it. Darran was superb as writer of the road to coronation st. However as I am also an EE ffan I don't want him to leave there. He is probably their best writer Imo.