60 Minute Makeover

mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
Forum Member
✭✭
Just been watching the most horrendous (imo) makeover - though to be fair in it's original state, you couldn't possibly have made it worse. But the first thing the occupant said was 'It's different' then 'It's not my house'. So what's the point?
Yes money is an important factor but your home reflects you regardless. What is the point in transforming a bland, dull, room with no personality or imagination into a 'quirky fun space' if the occupant, tbh, has zero quirkiness or imagination?

Actually I'd hate to come home to find it had been 'made over'. Don't get me wrong - it would be amazing to have a designer's input and the cash to make it a reality but unless I am involved in the process, it is not likely to reflect 'me'. How about you?

Comments

• ProKitzelProKitzel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be too happy either with others going through my belongings and dumping things that I would like to keep. Also it might look good enough on camera but I dread to think what the actual finishing is like with it being such a rushed job. I haven't watched it in years though.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    Just been watching the most horrendous (imo) makeover - though to be fair in it's original state, you couldn't possibly have made it worse. But the first thing the occupant said was 'It's different' then 'It's not my house'. So what's the point?
    Yes money is an important factor but your home reflects you regardless. What is the point in transforming a bland, dull, room with no personality or imagination into a 'quirky fun space' if the occupant, tbh, has zero quirkiness or imagination?

Actually I'd hate to come home to find it had been 'made over'. Don't get me wrong - it would be amazing to have a designer's input and the cash to make it a reality but unless I am involved in the process, it is not likely to reflect 'me'. How about you?

BIB. I take that as them saying "It's not the same sh*thole I left this morning" :D

I use to watch the episode before Andre took over, actually I did watch one as it was done in the village where I use to live.

Apart from the really expensive furniture they give them I would not want them in my home. You can see on some of them how bad the finish is.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Just watched it, absolutely horrendous, was the 'designer' a first year student? nothing went together, it was tacky and migraine inducing, poor woman.

It used to be good, when designers like Linda Barker and Justin and Colin did it, but these new nobodies, they must be cheap to hire.
    I hope she managed to do something with it after they left.

Last week some so called designer to the stars actually painted over woodchip, it looked awful, ITV are really cutting corners this year.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Just watched it, absolutely horrendous, was the 'designer' a first year student? nothing went together, it was tacky and migraine inducing, poor woman.

Glad it's not just me then :D. I think when I go out I'll have to leave a note in the house (just in case). No stripes or zig zags please! :o
    I think the main fun of this programme is watching the reaction of the victim. You can usually tell when they are genuinely overjoyed or when they are struggling to say something nice. As was the case here I feel
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I quite like the show, today and yesterday's looks were terrible but apart from that all good :)
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier shows presented by Claire Sweeney always amazed me by the sheer irritation factor of her dreadful presentation. Offset, however, by the delightul Katheryn Rayward who seemed to be a frequent designer. Then they had Terri Dwyer presenting, not as irritating as Ms Sweeney but terribly wooden.....
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you posted this. I watched a couple of these progs and there is no way the makeover can be thorough or expertly done. I think it's shoddy work.

My DH and I decorated my daughters bedroom a few weeks ago and it took us nearly a week to do it properly. We stripped all the old wallpaper off, painted the ceiling twice, painted the coving twice. We sanded down the window sills and they had 4 coats of paint. We removed the radiator and spray painted that.

The skirting boards had two coats of gloss which meant lifting up the carpet edges to do it properly. We washed down all the walls to remove sticky residue and then we wallpapered 2 walls and painted the other two. We replaced the radiator, hung new curtains, replaced the carpet and that was the job done.
    Forum Member
    I just watched yesterdays and can see what you mean. So many colours :o

Do they only do 1 room now rather than bodge 4 :D
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »

It used to be good, when designers like Linda Barker did it,

What? :o

Im watching an old one atm and its linda barker and its awful! Shes the worst!

The house is unfinished due to rip off builders so she basically had a blank canvas. The homeowner had just had a new kitchen fitted which looked ok, very modern and lightish brown wood effect cupboards with black worktops and a black breakfast bar.

Linda turns up and decides to keep the cupboards and worktops and paint the walls pink! As if that wasnt bad enough, she took out the black breakfast bar and replaced it with a purple one! The pink and purple together look perfect for a 4 year old girls bedroom but not a family kitchen!

All she needed to do was paint the walls, that were just bare plaster, with a neutral colour and add coloured tiles for the splash of colour she wanted and it would look lovely.

But no, she has to go all out in your face colours that clash and it looks horrible! Tbh i prefered the bare plaster.
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and they still say 60mins ! when they did a house around the corner here a few years back, it was 7am to 7pm, then a few weeks off and on sorting out the 'errors' !
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    and they still say 60mins ! when they did a house around the corner here a few years back, it was 7am to 7pm, then a few weeks off and on sorting out the 'errors' !

Originally the 60 mins did not include prep, so removing stuff, was not included, just the refit, but since the Peter Andre incarnation they say its done in a day.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lady today is very funny. Wonderful lady.
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    What? :o

Im watching an old one atm and its linda barker and its awful! Shes the worst!

The house is unfinished due to rip off builders so she basically had a blank canvas. The homeowner had just had a new kitchen fitted which looked ok, very modern and lightish brown wood effect cupboards with black worktops and a black breakfast bar.

Linda turns up and decides to keep the cupboards and worktops and paint the walls pink! As if that wasnt bad enough, she took out the black breakfast bar and replaced it with a purple one! The pink and purple together look perfect for a 4 year old girls bedroom but not a family kitchen!

All she needed to do was paint the walls, that were just bare plaster, with a neutral colour and add coloured tiles for the splash of colour she wanted and it would look lovely.

But no, she has to go all out in your face colours that clash and it looks horrible! Tbh i prefered the bare plaster.

I watched this one. It was horrendous :o A black chandelier in the kitchen :D
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    I haven't really watch this programme since Peter Andre took over, not until very recently....it might just my imagination but it looks like they've drastically slashed the budget, it's all butcher's block worktops, plastic chairs and "bespoke" pallet sofas, they use to have Corian worktops and some really nice Chinese cabinets :eek:
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just switched on for the last part of today's prog and can't believe my eyes!!

I just saw quite a nice L shaped room which looked perfectly ok and modern but NO ... That was the original one. The new one which Linda Barker did was awful. The most hideous wallpapers made to look like pictures, a grotesque rugged table and a sofa which is halfway over the fireplace.:o

The garden is now complete with a fully functioning outdoor KITCHEN, all the furniture, a sink, a pizza oven, etc etc. Yeah that will be really useful for just a couple of weeks a year in England!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I don't believe for one moment that this is a real '60 minute makeover'. There is no way paint would dry in that time! All the furniture against the walls and the curtains would be covered in wet paint! I think its just cleverly edited and the bird with the stop watch is for effect!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »
    I haven't really watch this programme since Peter Andre took over, not until very recently....it might just my imagination but it looks like they've drastically slashed the budget, it's all butcher's block worktops, plastic chairs and "bespoke" pallet sofas, they use to have Corian worktops and some really nice Chinese cabinets :eek:

Is that the one where the woman who organised it specifically told Andre/the designer that the big, squashy and very comfy looking brown/beige corner sofa was quite new, that the home owner loved it and just to 'tweak' it up a bit?

Then the homeowner came back to what looked like pallets painted white with hard cushions placed on top? It was horrendous! :o Looked like she'd been out scavenging, got a pot of paint and knocked it up herself on the cheap :D Needless to say when they went back two weeks later the lady had replaced that monstrosity with her 'old' comfy sofa!

I don't catch many of these programmes but I caught the above and also a one where Linda Barker 'improved' the house with the liberal use of the most vile yellow I've ever seen in my life.

I'd really like to see what the designers houses look like to see if they practice what they preach with other folk.

The only good thing about this programme is the free furniture that the victims get e.g. new beds, tables and chairs, wall units etc. The decorating leaves a bit to be desired!
    Forum Member
    Today's house yet again looks perfectly acceptable and comfy, like any other lounge in the country, all nicely decorated..

Nice bedroom too.

I wounder what kind of monstrosity this poor sap will end up with today??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The landlord must be thrilled that they are decorating his place for free and make it look better so he can put the rent up.
    Forum Member
    Ugh, another wooden self built sofa? there was nothing wrong with the one she had, and that bed they smashed up, have they not heard of recycling to the local charity shop?? what a damn waste .
    Forum Member
    The landlord must be thrilled that they are decorating his place for free and make it look better so he can put the rent up.

LOL, yes imagine!

He must have been rubbing his sweaty little hands together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vision panel blinds look interesting. I've never heard of those before.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    I'm pleased there's a topic for today's programme as I've just watched it and thought there's NO WAY that these makeovers are done in 60-minutes so I guess it means the programme is 60 minutes in length.

I agree with those who hated today's mish-mash of different stuff - the best bit was the appliqued cushion and the pictures on the living room wall!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased there's a topic for today's programme as I've just watched it and thought there's NO WAY that these makeovers are done in 60-minutes so I guess it means the programme is 60 minutes in length.

I agree with those who hated today's mish-mash of different stuff - the best bit was the appliqued cushion and the pictures on the living room wall!!

And the teapot light shades.
    Forum Member

Peter Andre does say at the start that , it wont take 60 minutes, it will be done in a day, he said it last series too :)

Todays house looks OK ish again, just needs a clean and tidy up, with a lick of paint.