Charlie Nicholas forced to apologise

missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
Forum Member
He should never work for Sky again . The Sky TV pundit described the two as 'similar-looking' during Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday programme where Nicholas was covering City's Premier League match with Everton at Goodison Park. the similarity-looking is they are both black

Comments

• me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he called two white people similar looking would you have a problem?
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    If he called two white people similar looking would you have a problem?

but the fact he was forced to apologise was a problem for Sky, I have said what I think
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what reason as you say should he "never work for sky again"?
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So two black people can't look similar then, on features other than simply skin colour?

Who were the two being compared?
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    So two black people can't look similar then, on features other than simply skin colour?

Who were the two being compared?

Charlie Nicholas apologises for saying Fernando and Fernandinho 'look the same' just do a search of the above if you want the facts
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO WHAT?????
    you now can't describe two people as "similar" now

THE ****
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    I saw this live and it really was not as bad as they are trying to make out, the bloke couldn't tell who was who, they look similar, so what??? he was watching a small screen and probably does not have 20 20 vision.

Honestly this pc rubbish has gone too far.
    Forum Member
    For what reason as you say should he "never work for sky again"?

For bad judgment as a tv pundit
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Nicholas apologises for saying Fernando and Fernandinho 'look the same' just do a search of the above if you want the facts

At a glance they look vaguely similar, as might numerous pairs of people. Once you start studying, then yes, there will be differences, but presumably this was a split second incident.

I suppose the only criticism is that Nicholas as a pundit should know one wears #6 and one wears #25, but even writing this, I am now unsure which is which.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    He should never work for Sky again . The Sky TV pundit described the two as 'similar-looking' during Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday programme where Nicholas was covering City's Premier League match with Everton at Goodison Park. the similarity-looking is they are both black

So you've seen the story online, didn't see it LIVE and think you know what you're talking about?

Its something that happens EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!
    Mistaking someone for another isn't racist, isn't offensive or anything other than a mistake!
    Get over yourself!
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    So you've seen the story online, didn't see it LIVE and think you know what you're talking about?

Its something that happens EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!
    Mistaking someone for another isn't racist, isn't offensive or anything other than a mistake!
    Get over yourself!

yes but dose not make it right
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your outrage says more about you if i'm being honest.

Two black people can look similar and it isn't racist just like how two white people can look the same and that isn't racist either.

Get over yourself.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your outrage says more about you if i'm being honest.

Two black people can look similar and it isn't racist just like how two white people can look the same and that isn't racist either.

Get over yourself.
    Correct. There are plenty of times when viewers find it hard to tell certain players apart, especially from a distance (i.e. when the normal TV viewing angle is being used). These two players also have similar names, which doesn't help.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Have we really reached the ridiculous stage where it is considered racist to say that you cannot tell people of a different race apart easily?

I thought most white people find it easier to tell white people apart than black people or Asian people and the same applies in reverse?

I struggle when white people have shaved heads, though. Maybe I am a bit baldist?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Seriously right now... Do you have a genuine expectation or being taken seriously on this?

I ask because im stunned you think its an issue to be so 'offended' about.
    To me, this is just an excuse by you to get on at Sky who you have posted on here so many times basically how you hate them.
    Its nothing more than a silyl attempt to create a bandwagon which thankfully, everyone on here can not only see, but won't be joining.

So as previously directed, get over yourself!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    So he said that two guys who happen to be black look alike, and that's racist?
    If he'd said that about two white guys it wouldn't even be questioned.
    What sad times we live in!
    :(
  • Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP has just made surely the stupidest comments so far of 2015. When Lee Carsley and Thomas Graveson were on the park for Everton it was hard to tell them apart. It wasn't racist if a commentator mixed them up.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun Wright Phillips and him who used to play Arnold Jackson in Diff'rent Strokes looked similar - and not just because both are black. Should I be banned from Sky Sports (if I worked for Sky Sports, that is)?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP has just made surely the stupidest comments so far of 2015.
    It makes Sky look very stupid as well, if they actually made him apologise for it.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snippets from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2905806/Charlie-Nicholas-did-not-need-need-apologise-confusing-Fernandinho-Fernando-Sky-Sports.html

In his error, Nicholas wasn’t saying that all black men look the same to him; he was saying that, at a glance, Fernando and Fernandinho do. And they do, the same way some white footballers look like other white footballers in full flow, the way that, bizarrely, Wayne Rooney must have looked like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain the night Clive Tyldesley momentarily confused them when England played Scotland.

It happens. In the press box after a goal has been scored there will often be questions, uncertainty - about the scorer, the provider, did it take a deflection, who was the last defender. Not because people aren’t paying attention but because a melee of guys challenging for the ball in a small space can be hard to distinguish - and because one player can look like another, black or white.

Nicky Barmby and Craig Hignett were known as The Midget Gems during their time at Middlesbrough. It was a running joke how many times the stadium announcer got their identities mixed up when announcing the scorer’s name. Sometimes, for fun, they would sign as each other for autograph hunters. They marvelled at how infrequently this was picked up, too.

Nicholas did the polite thing by apologising but not the right thing. Sadly, saying sorry only encourages some people (as this thread proves).
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP seems to have it in for Sky, just another (extremely poor excuse) to slag them off I think.
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    The OP seems to have it in for Sky, just another (extremely poor excuse) to slag them off I think.

ok if that's so I cant recall many people on here defending Andy Gray and Richard Keys when they got the sack, that seems to me that sexist behaviour against a female member of staff, that was not seen or heard by the public is ok for two employees of Sky to get the sack, but something that went out live for all to see and hear seems to be ok . well done Sky you really do believe in better
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    ok if that's so I cant recall many people on here defending Andy Gray and Richard Keys when they got the sack, that seems to me that sexist behaviour against a female member of staff, that was not seen or heard by the public is ok for two employees of Sky to get the sack, but something that went out live for all to see and hear seems to be ok . well done Sky you really do believe in better
    There's been plenty of cases of similar things on all TV channels over the years. But why pick on Sky. It's getting rediculous all these anti BBC TV Licence and also Anti Sky threads.
    Ian.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

A bit of difference between sexist behaviour (where I believe the sexist comments could be heard/seen in the public domain) and a commentator getting two individuals mixed up because they look similar - just shows how desperate you must be to show Sky in a bad light.
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    There's been plenty of cases of similar things on all TV channels over the years. But why pick on Sky. It's getting rediculous all these anti BBC TV Licence and also Anti Sky threads.
    Ian.

why pick on Sky, because you don't pay a subscription to view the other channels. The TV Licence fee is something we all have to pay by law to watch tv, regardless of your opposition to it.