Winterwatch starts 19 January

owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,003
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had a look around and cant see a thread for this. just a heads up that Winterwatch starts tonight on BBC at 9pm. Its from the highlands of Scotland this time and certainly the last one from the highlands was very good

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Had a look around and cant see a thread for this. just a heads up that Winterwatch starts tonight on BBC at 9pm. Its from the highlands of Scotland this time and certainly the last one from the highlands was very good

I presume they have replaced the studio that blew away last week! I think they have moved into the building.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Particularly enjoyed seeing the seals in Norfolk. I think I heard him say there are now 4000 in a one mile stretch.

I grew up there and local men were paid a bounty for killing seals because it was said they were eating all the fish and causing damage to nets etc.
  • grumpyoldjoegrumpyoldjoe Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly any live stuff at all this time around.
    Each series we are seeing more and more cuts in the presentation and quality of the shows.
    We had live feeds from the web cams on line and via the red button which IMHO were superb viewing. Now we have a 4 day slot of 1 hour shows.
    Shame on you BBC:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Winterwatch normally mainly material short during daylight hours?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the tawny owl on the deer carcass - I didn't know that owls would scavenge like that - I thought they preferred their prey to start off with a heartbeat, unlike a buzzard, for eg. But odd behaviour taking a nap on it. Though with its hearing capabilities, it would probably hear the heartbeat of any predator as it approached. It still seemed strange behaviour. I wondered whether it was elderly or 100% healthy - whether there are any poisons being used in its territory and it has predated animals that have taken poison so it's behaviour is off. Very interesting footage.

I've flown a golden eagle - the weight is quite something when they land on your fist.
  • GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this last night. There are some top dramas on at the moment but I must admit it was nice to have a break for something a little less intense, although I did switch over to ITV+1 for Broadchurch afterwards :) The only thing I would say is I find some of Martin's "experiments" a little pointless. I'd much rather be watching some of the actual wildlife during those sections.
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it looks like there doing one week shows per season

which is better i think than doing 3 weeks for spring and autumn
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    What on earth is the noise going on in the background? It sounds like a motorway! It is a river or the wind? The night seems quite still.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they now have Winterwatch to go with the Spring and Autumn ones.
    The owls are great, I love seeing them on.
    Martin should go back to doing Unsprung, I'm finding his segments silly, and a bit boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i posted a video i took of a badger on to the winterwatch unsrung twitter site it was up
    for a few hours ...and then taken down:confused:

anyone have any idea why?? there doesn't seem to any guidelines on the site
  • mark owenmark owen Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »

Winterwatch has all way's been on just for one week.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,118
    Forum Member
    Pity they have to have that supercilious twit Chris Packham as a presenter!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,471
    Forum Member
    i posted a video i took of a badger on to the winterwatch unsrung twitter site it was up
    for a few hours ...and then taken down:confused:

anyone have any idea why?? there doesn't seem to any guidelines on the site

You're meddling on Badgerwatch's manor squire, know what I mean? Legs might break, get my drift sunshine?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It put me off the series when he originally took over so I hardly ever watch it now.

I notice tonight that they have had to run the Red Button programme on BBC2 because Red Button is busy all evening.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It put me off the series when he originally took over so I hardly ever watch it now.

I notice tonight that they have had to run the Red Button programme on BBC2 because Red Button is busy all evening.

I think he's good on this. Admittedly, he doesn't have the most personable personality around but his passion for the wildlife and knowledge is generally very impressive.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I think he's good on this. Admittedly, he doesn't have the most personable personality around but his passion for the wildlife and knowledge is generally very impressive.

I agree. I can see why some don't take to him, but the work he does is commendable imo.

(Boo. The red squirrel didn't win)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes he can be a bit supercilious but he knows his stuff and has a passion for it

just a pity about his speech impediment pesky wabbit ;-)
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,471
    Forum Member
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I agree. I can see why some don't take to him, but the work he does is commendable imo.

(Boo. The red squirrel didn't win)

But, in the wild, the red squirrels supposedly can administer a right kicking to the greys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes he can be a bit supercilious but he knows his stuff and has a passion for it

It is the way he wants everyone to know that 'he knows his stuff' that annoys me.

I think someone if made an innocent remark like 'nice day today' he would quote research from some obscure scientists at an even more obscure institution that proved today would be a nicer day than yesterday.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Springwatch will get three weeks again this year, I guess theres more to talk about
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    I think Springwatch will get three weeks again this year, I guess theres more to talk about

I hope there will be. I enjoyed Winterwatch but found it quite repetitive at times with the constant recaps and showing the same footage over and over again.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Hardly any live stuff at all this time around.
    Each series we are seeing more and more cuts in the presentation and quality of the shows.
    We had live feeds from the web cams on line and via the red button which IMHO were superb viewing. Now we have a 4 day slot of 1 hour shows.
    Shame on you BBC:cry:

I asked about the Webcams on the BBC Winterwatch Facebook page and the reply I got was that the live webcams wouldn't be available for Winterwatch, behind the red button or on the internet in January 2015, because of the TV Licence Freeze and the cuts having to be made at the BBC. But the Winterwatch Facebook page said that the live webcams would be back for Springwatch 2015 at Minsmere.
    Ian.