BBC3 Consultation Launches

roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The consultation over BBC3 (and BBC1+1 and CBBC extended hours) has launched today. It's open until February 17. The BBC Trust says it still has an open minded for the decision.

Had this campaign update over email from the Save BBC3 people:
1. Visit this website and tell the BBC Trust exactly what you think - http://bit.ly/1sVCi9P
2. Tweet about the consultation now and tell your friends. Just click this link – http://ctt.ec/2DV8U
3. Write to your MP about BBC3 – http://bit.ly/1dqIOIz – they’ll care because a General Election is looming.
4. Encourage as many people to sign our petition as possible in the coming days, we’ll be delivering it soon – http://chn.ge/1527Tep

Interesting that on the consultation you can say you can be 'very likely' to watch BBC3 online but you can't say 'very unlikely'. Why is this? Also it seems there would little difference between the numbers watching a BBC1+1 and BBC3. The BBC also admits a drop in BBC3 audiences if it moves online, and there's little appetite for it moving online. They think the programming cuts could potentially stunt their audience further.

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of the move interesting suggestions for the BBC to look at.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/hat-trick-avalon-bid-to-acquire-bbc3-1201353713/#

I dont favour selling off BBC channels or radio stations, however its worth looking at.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,696
    Forum Member
    I have completed my trust questionnaire, i didn't even get a reply from the email i sent in December to the head of the trust and their enquiries team.

I urge everybody to have a say

I have also been very damning on the plans to launch BBC1+1 if one of the reasons for closing BBC3 is to cost cut and the other is to slowly migrate con tent online as that is the so called future. Then why spend money on launching a linear +1 service?
  • roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    one of the move interesting suggestions for the BBC to look at.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/hat-trick-avalon-bid-to-acquire-bbc3-1201353713/#

I dont favour selling off BBC channels or radio stations, however its worth looking at.

Isn't the reason BBC3 is popular is because it's a BBC channel offering things like their Glastonbury and Big Weekend coverage?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before going too far READ the documnents. That the trust have out in their website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/press_releases/2015/bbc_three_proposals

And also some words in the bbc blog
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/a954ecf1-bdf0-45cf-933a-29536c665fff

It starts
    1. BBC Three is not closing and BBC Three is not for sale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have also been very damning on the plans to launch BBC1+1 if one of the reasons for closing BBC3 is to cost cut and the other is to slowly migrate con tent online as that is the so called future. Then why spend money on launching a linear +1 service?

Completed.
    Putting it Online is fine by me, watch Tv many ways in my household now anyway so no big deal and with smart Tvs, chromecast, tablets/phones via hdmi and pvrs and sky boxes, quite easy to watch via catchup/online via a TV if you so wish.
    BBC Three is not a channel I watch that much (and not in their quoted age range!), but occasionally it does have the odd Glastonbury, repeat or BBC main channel continuation that I have watched.

As for +1, all they do is clog up the EPG in my view. The Sky epg is just a mess now with all the +1 and 7day channels that I make no use of at all.
    I plan my viewing, make good use of my sky hd box and use the many catchup options that I have available and enjoy it that way with the portability of it too.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It IS closing. If they take it off TV and there is no linear broadcast to watch then the channel is closing. Regardless of whatever spin they put on the words. If you haver to go to iPlayer and select what programme to watch then the linear mode of watching TV is gone, i.e. the channel has CLOSED. The name may remain in some weird fashion to fool people but make no mistake, the channel will have CLOSED.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand why they want cbbc extended to nine so that children can watch after school, when it broadcasts all day while kids are at school. Surely cbbc should be closed instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the cost per user per hour is going to go up from 6.9p to 23p. Yet there's a cut budget. How confusing, can someone explain that to me?
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who pays for these BBC Three Consultation lunches? That's right Johnny TV Licence Payer, funding the fat cats gorging themselves on sandwiches and cream teas.

I am outraged.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So BBC1+1 is to be an SD only service, which wont be available to all viewers. (T2 equipment required for DTT users).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Who pays for these BBC Three Consultation lunches? That's right Johnny TV Licence Payer, funding the fat cats gorging themselves on sandwiches and cream teas.

I am outraged.

What lunch? It's an online consultation.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the best solution is specially trained otters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    So BBC1+1 is to be an SD only service, which wont be available to all viewers. (T2 equipment required for DTT users).

And those on basic freeview would probably be the ones who would be using/wanting/benefiting it most, as they would probably not have a decent PVR or use catchup/sky/Virgin/BT TV etc.
    Not sure that makes sense.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    And those on basic freeview would probably be the ones who would be using/wanting/benefiting it most, as they would probably not have a decent PVR or use catchup/sky/Virgin/BT TV etc.
    Not sure that makes sense.

It should encourage people to buy kit with DVB-T2 tuners, this fulfilling the BBC's sixth public purpose.

Apart from which, +1 channels have a limited use, being useless for programmes over 60 mins.

Odd though that BBC Three HD would only make way for an SD service ....... looks like the BBC have use for the existing BBC Three SD space. Odd too that the original proposal for one +1 to run from 8pm has now changed to be 24 hrs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It should encourage people to buy kit with DVB-T2 tuners, this fulfilling the BBC's sixth public purpose.
    I'm not sure an SD +1 will encourage anyone to go out and buy T2 equipment tbh, especially if it follows the trend of current SD channels on the T2 muxes and broadcasts using a 544x576 picture resolution! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure an SD +1 will encourage anyone to go out and buy T2 equipment tbh, especially if it follows the trend of current SD channels on the T2 muxes and broadcasts using a 544x576 picture resolution! :o

Not on its own, maybe not. But taken with the availability of other BBC HD channels on there, it's sure to persuade some when they look to change.

As for picture res, those channels are not BBC ones!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on its own, maybe not. But taken with the availability of other BBC HD channels on there, it's sure to persuade some when they look to change.
    I'd have thought anyone needing to buy new equipment now would go for something T2 capable anyway tbh, but for those who don't, an SD +1 isn't going to sway them, especially if several HD channels haven't already.
    As for picture res, those channels are not BBC ones!
    No, but there's been no indication so far that the BBC channel will be broadcast at a higher resolution than what we've seen for other SD channels on those muxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but there's been no indication so far that the BBC channel will be broadcast at a higher resolution than what we've seen for other SD channels on those muxes.
    Why would the BBC (rather than a commercial broadcaster) broadcast at that resolution anyway? What evidence is there that they would follow the trend set by others?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    The consultation over BBC3 (and BBC1+1 and CBBC extended hours) has launched today. It's open until February 17. The BBC Trust says it still has an open minded for the decision.

Had this campaign update over email from the Save BBC3 people:

Interesting that on the consultation you can say you can be 'very likely' to watch BBC3 online but you can't say 'very unlikely'. Why is this? Also it seems there would little difference between the numbers watching a BBC1+1 and BBC3. The BBC also admits a drop in BBC3 audiences if it moves online, and there's little appetite for it moving online. They think the programming cuts could potentially stunt their audience further.

Thank you for including all those links and if anyone is interested in future of the BBC3 then I really would suggest signing the petition and putting in a submission to the BBC Trust. In view of the apparent bias in the consultation, I'd suggesting saying that you're unlikely or very unlikely to watch BBC3 online and that you do a lot of PVR recording of BBC3 programmes, that kind of thing.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Completed.
    Putting it Online is fine by me, watch Tv many ways in my household now anyway so no big deal and with smart Tvs, chromecast, tablets/phones via hdmi and pvrs and sky boxes, quite easy to watch via catchup/online via a TV if you so wish.
    BBC Three is not a channel I watch that much (and not in their quoted age range!), but occasionally it does have the odd Glastonbury, repeat or BBC main channel continuation that I have watched.
    What new content would it have though?
    Would it just be pilots looking to be taken up by a bigger channel?

Why would a writer with a decent drama (e.g. In The Flesh) want to have their programme on line only. There probably wouldn't be the budget to make it into an award winning series like it was on BBC3.
    Still got cancelled though.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,696
    Forum Member
    The proposed budget for this online BBC is not enough for the quality of content we expect. The minumum a decent quality drama would cost would be 500k an episode. over 10 episodes thats 5million which is half the budget. Cant see them filling a channel for 5 million even if it is just reruns.

And don't forget Family Guy fans. The BBC are NOT going to be showing that or American Dad on the new online BBC3 as Fox will not allow it.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

No one should be launching anything is SD any more. I mean they have just made BBC3 HD (just then talk about closing it) DOH!

And if all licence fee payers can't get it, then none should. So DTT get your fingers out of your backsides!
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too am mystified by a lot of these proposals. I knew about moving BBC Three to online only in a bid 'to save money' and creating BBC1 +1 and was skeptical about both. However, creating a new SD channel of BBC1 is barking mad! It's going backwards not forwards ( :) do you see what I did there?!), as others have said certainly not encouraging HD uptake.
    Do the BBC execs not see the inconsistencies in their proposals. On the one hand they are suggesting putting BBC Three online only as they don't believe 'linear consumption' is important as long as content is available. On the other hand they are suggesting that they will be reaching viewers who cannot consume content online by having a time shifted BBC 1, although with inferior picture quality. They make mention that other PSBs all have time shifted channels but the BBC doesn't. There's a very good reason for this: advertising. Advertisers can reach thousands more for their products on +1 channels for very little extra cost. The BBC doesn't have adverts, so it doesn't need to timeshift. Anyway, that's what iplayer is for!! If people have missed a programme and really want to see it, they will go find it there.
    Why extend CBBC to 9pm? The survey asks if I had dependents under 12, presumably because they are interested if I was the parent of their target audience. So, the BBC are suggesting that 11 year olds should be encouraged to watch CBBC until 9pm?
    It's rare that I find myself unable to defend the BBC on most decisions, but the whole thing looks badly conceived, with so many inconsistencies and poorly thought through ideas, that I'm left wondering who the architect of this really is. I hope the BBC Trust are as dismissive of the proposals as I am.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already filled in the consultation form and needless to say, it isn't complementary of the BBC's proposal!
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already filled in the consultation form and needless to say, it isn't complementary of the BBC's proposal!

Likewise, my contribution was rather derogatory about most of the ideas. Also website was very slow and kept getting server error, seems to be struggling with the volume, which i think is a good thing and suggests the BBC bods will be wading through rather a lot.