How Much Do You Pay Simply to Watch tv?

ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I add everything up, I'm currently paying close to £75 per month and yet I reckon I only get about about 40 hours worth of viewing for that which works out at nearly £2 per hour!

My £75 comprises £13 for the BBC (which I never watch), £23 for a bunch of reality tv channels (which I'm not interested in but the wife likes). That said, it does includes BT Sport which I tune into at least once a week. And then there's £35 on top of that for Sky Sports HD.

Have you ever considered how much per hour you pay and, more importantly, do you think you're getting value for money?

Comments

• THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I do get value for money. How much I pay, I won't say as it's private and confidential.
    Ian.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £36.00 (Sky Variety & half price movies/BT Sport) + LF, will be down to £28.00 next month when movies offer ends. If I didn't think it was value for money, then I wouldn't pay...though the LF isn't (not to me anyway) but I don't have a choice in that if I want to watch live tv.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Freeview - so it's the LF for us. Plenty of progs to watch/record so think it's good value for money. Used to have Sky back in the 1980s when it was all a novelty, honestly would watch very little on it if I had it now. Plenty of films can be accessed through other sources now. Hats off to Sky though, changed the tv landscape in this country forever!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,713
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote: »
    When I add everything up, I'm currently paying close to £75 per month and yet I reckon I only get about about 40 hours worth of viewing for that which works out at nearly £2 per hour!

My £75 comprises £13 for the BBC (which I never watch), £23 for a bunch of reality tv channels (which I'm not interested in but the wife likes). That said, it does includes BT Sport which I tune into at least once a week. And then there's £35 on top of that for Sky Sports HD.

Have you ever considered how much per hour you pay and, more importantly, do you think you're getting value for money?

The biggest share of your money goes to Sky. What a shame you have to pay so much for so much that you can't possibly watch.

If only you could pay for what you want.
  • TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I pay £12.12 a month and think its great value for money.

I used to subscribe to the full package with Sky for £25 (no discounts back in those days) a month but got rid of that many years ago. I'm still annoyed that Sky One became a paid channel - Sky promised it would always be free to air!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under £20 a month for BT TV entertainment package that includes HD extra bolt on. The BT film/TV box sets bolt on and for now free BT sport. I do also have BT Infinity and line rental on top of the price I pay for BT TV.

Darren
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £6.50 for the LF, £62.75 for Sky Family + HD + Sky Sports.
  • UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    £0.

Freesat HD+ and a free WWE Network trial at present.

(Mandatory LF is being paid though).
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £13 for the licence and currently a discounted rate of Sky at £19/month (Variety pack + HD), I only phoned up on the off-chance they'd offer me a discount to see if I could save some money, and they offered me a rate of half price Variety pack for a year, I think it was. I'm still happy to pay the full price for it, though, just if you can get some money off, why not? :D

I've been with Sky for nearly 10 years, quite happy to pay for it for Sky Atlantic alone. Everything else is a bonus. ;)
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apart from the TV license,nothing - have freeview,freesat and a android tv box so i get enough entertainment without paying for sky
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member

I pay roughly the equivalent of 2p an hour for TV and radio available 24 hours a day.

I regard it as excellent value for the top rate shows that I can view, which consistently top the ratings.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just pay LF. Get Freeview and have an old sky box which I get fta sat channels on.

It might help the OP to think that rather than paying £13 a month for BBC TV services he's not watching, to think that money is going towards the World Service inc. Caversham monitoring - which help provide information to the Government about what is being reported in other countries as well as extending Britains influence around the world, ultimately helping to protect us and our interests. We used to pay more for this via general taxation but is now funded by LF. When you consider BBC radio, iplayer/BBC websites, S4C, plus contributions towards commercial local TV and rural broadband growth, that £13 stretches a lot further than just BBC TV services you don't (but maybe your wife does) watch?

By contrast the rest of your money goes to sky shareholders inc. Murdoch, and Premier League footballer's wages.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0.3pence per minute of TV watched roughly I leave the rest for anyone to work out. I do watch a fair amount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay £12.12 a month and think its great value for money.

I used to subscribe to the full package with Sky for £25 (no discounts back in those days) a month but got rid of that many years ago. I'm still annoyed that Sky One became a paid channel - Sky promised it would always be free to air!

The free channel in place of sky one is pick and that's on freeview don't ever expect it free in HD though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unreal wrote: »
    £0.

Freesat HD+ and a free WWE Network trial at present.

(Mandatory LF is being paid though).

If you pay the LF its still £12.12 per month or if you pay quarterly £37.61 a quarter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    £6.50 for the LF, £62.75 for Sky Family + HD + Sky Sports.

LF is never £6.50 its £12.12 per month or if paying quarterly £37.61 a quarter.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose it depends what you would consider value for money - a two hour film at the cinema would be £10 or more, per person.

We pay £53 for a Virgin Media bundle, so I guess about half of that is for the TV? Plus £6 for Netflix, so about £30 a month or so.

Maybe about 20-25 hours a week viewing depending on what's on.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LF + £48 annual cost of Eurosport.
    last year £10.99 to NOW for a week's hockey
  • gothergother Posts: 14,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £12.99p/m £5.99 for netflix and £7 for a friend in usa who has given me a xfinity login, no license fee as i don't watch or record live tv.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably about 20 minutes of match of the day on BBC per week if that - so that works out at about £10/hour for the BBC.

I get Sky sports and BT sports with cable, but pay around £60/month, and watch 10 matches per week plus some other stuff, so that works out about £1/hour for Sky and BT. Personally that is much better value for me than the unwanted BBC.
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    The free channel in place of sky one is pick and that's on freeview don't ever expect it free in HD though!

Pick TV was Sky 3 before they renamed it. not Sky 1.

They also promised ALL of their channels would be funded by advertising only when I got my first box in 1989.
    We all know how long that lasted!
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Probably about 20 minutes of match of the day on BBC per week if that - so that works out at about £10/hour for the BBC.

I get Sky sports and BT sports with cable, but pay around £60/month, and watch 10 matches per week plus some other stuff, so that works out about £1/hour for Sky and BT. Personally that is much better value for me than the unwanted BBC.

The Licence Fee also pays for part of Channel 4, not just the BBC.
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Per month:

TV licence: £12.12

BT TV- Entertainment subscription with HD Extra: £10.45

BT Sports package: FREE due to being a BT Broadband customer

Netflix HD: £5.99 (legacy subscription)

WWE Network: $9.99, so after conversion price varies slightly each month, but usually around £6.50 or less

So altogether I am paying £35.06 per month for all my television, which I think is pretty great value having seen what others have paid in numerous threads in the Sky and Virgin sections.

Obviously that figure isn't set in stone simply due to the American pricing of the WWE subscription, and also I signed up for the BT HD Extra bolt-on free for six months back in December, but they gave me an £18 bill credit instead of my Entertainment bill being £7.45 till June/July.

Also I have access to the Now TV Entertainment pass at £6.99 per month, but since I got BT TV last summer, a lot of their Entertainment channels are the same as Now's,so I stopped paying it. My mum took over paying it because my brother was still getting plenty of use out of it, and I am still able to access the service in my home via Roku.

I'd say I get very reasonable value for money from the licence, I watch a pretty big amount of BBC programming. For BT TV, the vfm isn't always massive as there are additional channels I rarely or never watch, but I wouldn't be without options such as Gold,Comedy Central and CI. BT Sports is obviously exceptional vfm, though I only watch UFC and the occasional football match, it's free anyway! Netflix I get terrific vfm and having a legacy HD/Multiscreen subscription makes it more of a bargain. WWE Network I get tons of use out of too. I rarely use Now TV now for reasons stated above, but occasionally there will be something on Sky One, Sky Arts, ITV Encore etc that I'll want to watch, and like I said, I get that for free now anyway.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I do get value for money. How much I pay, I won't say as it's private and confidential.
    Ian.

In other words you are paying far too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    The Licence Fee also pays for part of Channel 4, not just the BBC.

Not channel 4 that is exclusively add funded expect for a special one time payment when DSO happened.
    S4C on the other hand is I think now majority LF funded with some funding via adds and other sources.