Sim free android phone recomendations budget £300?

Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
Forum Member
any recomendations for a decent android phone for roughly £300 - sim free?

Edit: needs to have an SD card slot ( ruling out the nexus range at the moment ) and removable battery - thanks.

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 4 has got to be one of the most likely candidates I'd think,,,,
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep if you don't mind ordering direct from Google, the N4 is the best quality phone under £300.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Edit: Now I've seen your edit ;), may be best waiting for the Samsung S4 to arrive then see if you can pick up a discounted S3.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smartphonestore have unlocked Grade A S3s for £290. The S3 is the best choice given your requirements.

http://www.smartfonestore.com/buy_Samsung_mfr.aspx
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4, pretty much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Nexus 4, pretty much.

The op needs a SD card and a removable battery. So no, not the N4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    any recomendations for a decent android phone for roughly £300 - sim free?

Edit: needs to have an SD card slot ( ruling out the nexus range at the moment ) and removable battery - thanks.
    Any particular reason for needing a SD card slot? I understand the battery requirement and reasoning.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Smartphonestore have unlocked Grade A S3s for £290. The S3 is the best choice given your requirements.

http://www.smartfonestore.com/buy_Samsung_mfr.aspx

Anyone here bought a phone from that site?

Their prices seem really cheap, cheaper than other second hand phone shops such as CEX. They have iPhone 5's grade A for £400, £65 cheaper than CEX
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »

Their prices seem really cheap, cheaper than other second hand phone shops such as CEX. They have iPhone 5's grade A for £400, £65 cheaper than CEX

The 60 day warranty would very much be a deal breaker for me.
    Forum Member
    The OP could always save him/herself £100 and get the Huawei Ascend P1 from here:

http://www.expansys.com/huawei-ascend-p1-228060/

Certainly a very decent spec for the money.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4410&idPhone2=3621
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    The OP could always save him/herself £100 and get the Huawei Ascend P1 from here:

http://www.expansys.com/huawei-ascend-p1-228060/

Certainly a very decent spec for the money.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4410&idPhone2=3621

Correction.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Bought an s3 from here for my kid was as new no problems at all.

Bought a one x before that failed after 2 weeks with battery issue after being run down they refunded no problem. looking it up there is an issue with the one x for this so not really the phone itself as it were.

I always figure that if you not had problems for 60 days you are as likely as any one else for your phone to fail. Still under 2 years warranty I would guess any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I only recommend them as I have used them myself. I got my grade C Galaxy Nexus from their in August. It has three small scratches on the screen and no marks on the housing. The grade A phones are mint and quite often boxed as new.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 4, the fear of not having a removable battery and SD slot are fully unfounded. The iPhone has managed without them for the last 7 years and just look how shit thats done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Nexus 4, the fear of not having a removable battery and SD slot are fully unfounded. The iPhone has managed without them for the last 7 years and just look how shit thats done.

The op asked for an SD card. Presumably they understand better than any of us what their storage needs are. My 16gb Galaxy Nexus has only got 4.7gb used so I don't need extra but many do.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

they are the two things that makes me unsure of the Nexus. Saying that I think the battery thing would be ok as long as it lasts, but the biggie is the lack of removable storage. charging another £40 for a extra 8Gb is a bit much.
    Forum Member
    With the nexus being such a good deal you can swallow the no removable battery and sd card for a £500 phone it would be a must for me
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4, the fear of not having a removable battery and SD slot are fully unfounded.

The 'fear' :confused:

Some people want a removable battery if they need to use their phones for a long while and they don't want to be charging it when on the move - hardly a fear, just a reality.

Some people want a memeory card slot for when they need to store more on the phone than it already comes with - hardly a fear, just a reality.

You are correct that the iPhone has done well having neither but that does not mean that someone that does want them has some kind of fear.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The op asked for an SD card. Presumably they understand better than any of us what their storage needs are. My 16gb Galaxy Nexus has only got 4.7gb used so I don't need extra but many do.

Same here, my iPhone is 16gb and I'm only using 4.9 of it.

The big thing that takes up storage is music and apps, if you haven't got that many songs or not too many apps your never going to need more than 16gb
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, my iPhone is 16gb and I'm only using 4.9 of it.

The big thing that takes up storage is music and apps, if you haven't got that many songs or not too many apps your never going to need more than 16gb

But the whole idea of phones these days is to have apps and to be able to store your music and videos on it. that is why they are called smart phones.

i know you can use cloud based services and that is where they are trying to push us, but to have that we need cheaper reliable mobile broadband.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    But the whole idea of phones these days is to have apps and to be able to store your music and videos on it. that is why they are called smart phones.

i know you can use cloud based services and that is where they are trying to push us, but to have that we need cheaper reliable mobile broadband.

Yes but do you need ALL of your music on there ALL of the time. My movies are on a USB stick via OTG and I have a NAS at home.

But keeping a Nexus is the most important thing to me.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yes but do you need ALL of your music on there ALL of the time. My movies are on a USB stick via OTG and I have a NAS at home.

Do you need? No. Would you like? Yes.
    Forum Member

movies on usb stick hardly easier than an sd card though is it