Options

Brit Award Nominations 2013

Comments

• Options
    troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I'm not her biggest fan Rita Ora had a great year last year and deserved to be nominated for best female over Amy who although I am a fan of does not deserved to be nominated.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there used to be a best international album category??!
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I thought there used to be a best international album category??!

They ditched that last year.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    Very underwhelmed by all of this. Rita Ora, although not the most credible of artists has had a stellar year, which hasn't really been reflected here. And no Cheryl or Little Mix or even One Direction in the Best Single category but they do have Alex Clare!? Hmm. They are obviously trying to fine tune what they think music should be sounding like in 2013.

The best single category is nearly always based on the highest sellers. Little Mix, 1D and even Cheryl, who although had a good first week sales (James Arthur being the fastest seller), didn't sell as many copies overall compared to the other nominees.

All of the best single nominations are in the top 30 best sellers of 2012. Little Mix, Cheryl and 1D aren't in that list.

It would have been unfair if they had received a nod ahead of the likes of Alex Clare who actually sold more (557,000 copies last year and was the 18th biggest seller).

Personally, as much as he gets a lot of stick, I'm happy that Olly has received two nominations because he's done really well this year. I don't think he has a chance of winning though :o

I hope Spectrum wins best single. :D
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the nominations :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Amy but really, no new album from her apart from the boxset they released of hers. I mean the Lioness album came out in 2011 so she should of been nominated last year. Seems like a waste of a nomination really for someone who hasn't released no new material. Marina or Ellie would of deserved it a little bit more.

Very happy about Jessie Ware. I could see her doing a "laura marling" and taking home Best Female, despite being the least successful among her rivals.

For some reason, despite her many nominations, i do not think Emeli sande will be the big winner of the night. Just an inkling
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Really happy Paloma Faith is up for 2 - didn't expect her to be nominated for best album! Shame Ellie is not nominated - and where is P!nk for international female??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Would have been nice to see Rebecca Ferguson nominated as well!
  • Options
    troy4783troy4783 Posts: 3,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjrh86 wrote: »
    Would have been nice to see Rebecca Ferguson nominated as well!
    She's not released an album this year well the re relase but not a brand new album so I don't think she was eligible to be nominated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really bizarre nominations this year - they should do more awards so more acts aren't shunned. What were they were thinking having Amy Winehouse nominated for best female and Richard Hawley nominated for best male over Jake Bugg, Labrinth and even Robbie...very bizarre
  • Options
    4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    The Best Single category is the most open it's been in ages thanks to no boybands being nominated I can't call who will win.
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    they should do more awards so more acts aren't shunned. What were they were thinking having Amy Winehouse nominated for best female and Richard Hawley nominated for best male over Jake Bugg, Labrinth and even Robbie...very bizarre

I agree. There should bring back the international album category too. Or just open the album category to everyone and have 10 nominees, like the best picture Oscar.

Who I'd like to win:

British Male Solo Artist
    Calvin Harris

British Female Solo Artist
    Emeli Sande

British Group
    Muse

British Live Act
    Coldplay

British Breakthrough Act
    Rita Ora

International Group
    Fun

International Male Solo Artist
    Frank Ocean

International Female Solo Artist
    Taylor Swift

British Single
    Coldplay & Rihanna - Princess of China

MasterCard British Album of the Year
    Emeli Sande
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTF at Amy Winehouse being nominated. Her posthumous album was released in 2011 so if they were to nominate her surely it would have been for the 2012 awards?

Just bizarre. By that logic lets nominate Whitney Houston for Best International Female. :rolleyes:

No Pink or Nicki Minaj for International Female. :confused: Hopefully Rihanna doesn't win that award for the 3rd time. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GagaKeshaMinajGagaKeshaMinaj Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bold = Who I want to Win
    Underline = Who I think will

__3kerry wrote: »
    British Male Solo Artist
    Ben Howard
    Calvin Harris
    Olly Murs
    Plan B
    Richard Hawley

Amy Winehouse
    Bat for Lashes
    Emeli Sande
    Jessie Ware
    Paloma Faith

British Group
    alt J
    Mumford And Sons
    Muse
    One Direction
    The xx

British Live Act
    Coldplay
    Mumford And Sons
    Muse
    Rolling Stones
    The Real Vaccines

British Breakthrough Act
    alt J
    Ben Howard
    Jake Bugg
    Jessie Ware
    Rita Ora

International Group
    Alabama Shakes
    The Black Keys
    Fun
    The Killers
    The Script

Springsteen
    Frank Ocean
    Gotye
    Michael Buble
    Jack White

Alicia Keys
    Cat Power
    Lana Del Rey
    Rihanna
    Taylor Swift

Special Recognition Award Winner
    War Child UK

Critics' Choice Award winner
    Tom Peter Odell

British Single
    Adele - Skyfall
    Alex Clare - Too Close
    Dj Fresh ft Rita Ora Hot Right Now
    Emeli Sande - Next To Me
    Florence and the Machine - Spectrum
    James Arthur - Impossible
    Jessie J - Domino
    Rizzle Kicks - Mama Do The Hump
    Labrinth ft Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful
    Robbie Williams - Candy
    Olly Murs ft Flo Rida - Troublemaker
    Rita Ora ft Tinie Tempah - R.I.P
    Stooshe - Black Heart
    Rudimental ft John Newman -Feel The Love

Alt j
    Emeli Sande
    Mumford And Sons
    Paloma Faith
    Plan B
  • Options
    Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Rihanna for international female :)
  • Options
    RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    The Brits are generally a joke and just used to push sales but I've gotta say I'm happy Amy's nominated after the joke of a tribute they gave her last year. Technically, her song with Nas, Cherrywine, released this year which may be why she's eligible. Oh well, she shits over the others nominated in the category (with the exception of Bat For Lashes) so I hope she gets it.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to any females not nominated. You are offically worse than an 18 month old stuff. A junkie stiff at that.
    Give yourselves a big round of applause.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Male Solo Artist
    Ben Howard
    Calvin Harris -
    Olly Murs - WANT & THINK
    Plan B
    Richard Hawley

Amy Winehouse - THINK
    Bat for Lashes
    Emeli Sande - WANT
    Jessie Ware
    Paloma Faith

British Group
    alt J
    Mumford And Sons
    Muse - WANT
    One Direction - THINK
    The xx

British Live Act
    Coldplay - WANT & THINK
    Mumford And Sons
    Muse
    Rolling Stones
    The Real Vaccines

British Breakthrough Act
    alt J
    Ben Howard
    Jake Bugg - THINK
    Jessie Ware
    Rita Ora - WANT

International Group
    Alabama Shakes
    The Black Keys
    Fun
    The Killers
    The Script - WANT & THINK

Springsteen
    Frank Ocean - WANT
    Gotye
    Michael Buble - THINK
    Jack White

Alicia Keys
    Cat Power
    Lana Del Rey - THINK
    Rihanna - WANT
    Taylor Swift

Special Recognition Award Winner
    War Child UK

Critics' Choice Award winner
    Tom Peter Odell

British Single
    Adele - Skyfall - THINK
    Alex Clare - Too Close
    Dj Fresh ft Rita Ora Hot Right Now
    Emeli Sande - Next To Me
    Florence and the Machine - Spectrum
    James Arthur - Impossible
    Jessie J - Domino
    Rizzle Kicks - Mama Do The Hump
    Labrinth ft Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful
    Robbie Williams - Candy
    Olly Murs ft Flo Rida - Troublemaker
    Rita Ora ft Tinie Tempah - R.I.P - WANT
    Stooshe - Black Heart
    Rudimental ft John Newman -Feel The Love

Alt j
    Emeli Sande - WANT & THINK
    Mumford And Sons
    Paloma Faith
    Plan B

---

I think to properly reflect how 2012 was for music, it would be wrong if Emeli Sande didn't win at least two awards. Love her or hate her, she is THE star of 2012 music-wise.

Other than that I don't really feel too passionate about any of them. I'd love Rita Ora to win something but I don't think she will (even though she deserves it for similar reasons to Emeli)
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again, so many poor names in there, it in no way reflects the vast range of quality British artists out there, I'm thinking in the world of blues and roots and folk etc...this is like the Smash Hits awards used to be, just there for pop acts.

I know they don't do Lifetime Achievement any more but until they bring that back and give the accolade to Iron Maiden, the whole awards are null and void and without any merit. Maiden are one of the biggest UK bands of all time, they have influenced thousands of bands and have millions of fans across every country worldwide. THAT is what deserves an award, not having a couple of pop hits!
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like any of the nominees for international female singers, I was hoping for Pink.

I am amazed that people seem to think that One Direction has a chance of winning... and I like them. Unless it's voted by the fans?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's stupid having My Winehouse nominated.

Good to see Cat Power nominated, she looks out of place among all the pop pap in that category through
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    Very underwhelmed by all of this. Rita Ora, although not the most credible of artists has had a stellar year, which hasn't really been reflected here. And no Cheryl or Little Mix or even One Direction in the Best Single category but they do have Alex Clare!? Hmm. They are obviously trying to fine tune what they think music should be sounding like in 2013.

Dude, that song went double platinum here in the US. Alex Clare did it big. It's a much more memorable and enjoyable song than 1Ds or Cher Lloyds singles. If those hadn't been played to death we probably wouldn't remember them. Speaking from a US pov of course, too close had no radio play at all and was only on a commercial for high speed Internet. It impacted that many people to buy it from a 30 second commercial which you see maybe once every couple days if you just happen to be watching tv. That's HUGE!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    No Cheryl, Girls Aloud, Marina or Little Mix? What an absolute joke. I would have loved to have seen Cher Lloyd nominated too but I understand that she hasn't done much here anyway...

The only catorgery I am even slightly excited for is International Female... Lana Del Rey for the win!
    I swear the Brits try and find the most bizarre name and pull them out a hat.

For me, I am incredibly underwhelmed once again. Amy Winehouse was incredibly talented but why is she nominated years after her last studio album? Alt-J? i don't even know.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When do we find out who is getting the outstanding contribution award?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrPond wrote: »
    No Cheryl, Girls Aloud, Marina or Little Mix? What an absolute joke. I would have loved to have seen Cher Lloyd nominated too but I understand that she hasn't done much here anyway...

The only catorgery I am even slightly excited for is International Female... Lana Del Rey for the win!
    I swear the Brits try and find the most bizarre name and pull them out a hat.

For me, I am incredibly underwhelmed once again. Amy Winehouse was incredibly talented but why is she nominated years after her last studio album? Alt-J? i don't even know.

No. It's not a joke... you're in need of a reality check. The only girls aloud related song that made any impact was Cheryls CMN. Yet it only made it to 34 on the biggest selling singles of the year.

And Little Mix are even lower!

They are not big artists....popularity is based on being plastered across the tabloids.