Options

Anyone else on here waiting for a Pebble Watch ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the pebble but still loving this one

http://cookoowatch.com/

That does look nice, but it's rather limited compared to the Pebble. OK, it's cheaper, but only by $20.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure toward the end of the year I'll want a Pebble, be interested to see how support and apps are extended.

I reckon the 5%-10% hit on the battery will be balanced by not having to put your phone's screen on as often. It'd be great if you reply to messages using Google Voice, so your screen doesn't need to come on even for that.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I'm sure toward the end of the year I'll want a Pebble, be interested to see how support and apps are extended.

I reckon the 5%-10% hit on the battery will be balanced by not having to put your phone's screen on as often. It'd be great if you reply to messages using Google Voice, so your screen doesn't need to come on even for that.

sadly no microphone on the pebble - can you get Google Now to work without the screen powering on i wonder ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Ooooooo!!! To get or not to get.......:D

Did you get one ? still wavering here ......:D
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »

I know. im jusy bored waiting for my Pebble and i want a new shiny toy to play with now :)

At this rate i'll be installing ubuntu on my phone just to relieve the 'new toy' pressure :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bump

Pebble has apparently arrived at home today :)

im still at work :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least it's there waiting for you :)

As I missed the KS batch, I'm waiting on the pre-orders...Probably be at least another month before mine arrives (most likely longer, given that production still seems well under the supposed max.).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well?! What's it like, Stuart? :)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any updates on this?

I have a Galaxy Note 2 - which I love - however it would good if I could check my messages on my watch quickly rather than get the thing out.

Does anyone have the current Sony smart watch - thoughts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First out im a gadget lover so was really looking forward to it arriving. Does it live up to expectations ? Yes and No.

Firstly it looks great. I was worried the screen might look disproportionally small but I have the black model and it looks great. How long it will stay that way is another issue. Im not convinced its very scratch proof.

With regards to the software the available watch faces are nice. Someone has now added a 'snake' game which is a novelty. apart from that they havent released a SDK so the hundreds of devs havent really had much chance to push the limits of what it can do.

I can get SMS, Gmail, email, facebook, whatsapp etc all to appear. Its just it doesnt have all the runkeeper and other third party app support yet.

In 6 months time it will be a great piece of kit. Currently its a nice watch that shows notifications.

Is it going to change my life ? no. Useful but mostly just fun.

Would i buy it over again ? Hell yes

If you have any specific questions ask away
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for a moment, I thought this thread might be about the BBC's idea for a more exciting version of Springwatch :D
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    First out im a gadget lover so was really looking forward to it arriving. Does it live up to expectations ? Yes and No.

Firstly it looks great. I was worried the screen might look disproportionally small but I have the black model and it looks great. How long it will stay that way is another issue. Im not convinced its very scratch proof.

With regards to the software the available watch faces are nice. Someone has now added a 'snake' game which is a novelty. apart from that they havent released a SDK so the hundreds of devs havent really had much chance to push the limits of what it can do.

I can get SMS, Gmail, email, facebook, whatsapp etc all to appear. Its just it doesnt have all the runkeeper and other third party app support yet.

In 6 months time it will be a great piece of kit. Currently its a nice watch that shows notifications.

Can you actually buy it in the UK retail or do you have to order via the US website?
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I've ordered one but I didn't get in on the original KS project so it's mañana for me.
    What's the battery life like ?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Any updates on this?

I have a Galaxy Note 2 - which I love - however it would good if I could check my messages on my watch quickly rather than get the thing out.

Does anyone have the current Sony smart watch - thoughts?

Yes, i bought the Sony Smart Watch a few weeks ago now.

My advice.... don't bother. Great idea, fails miserably. Battery life is absolutely rank, your supposed to double tap the screen to get the time to appear but doesn't respond well, its to plasticy and cheap feeling, and the charger doesn't fit in well causing it not to charge properly.

The screen is absolutely awful on it as well. Can see every individual pixel which annoys the arse off me and its very dull and there is no brightness setting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    I've ordered one but I didn't get in on the original KS project so it's mañana for me.
    What's the battery life like ?

Battery life is great ! im getting many days between charges and its not really impacting my phone battery much either :)

just need the SDK to be released to get more dev work out there !
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Battery life is great ! im getting many days between charges and its not really impacting my phone battery much either :)

just need the SDK to be released to get more dev work out there !

Sounds good, I look forward to getting mine in due course - will give the devs a chance to get going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone see the "review" of Pebble by Jason Bradbury on The Gadget Show recently?

It was terrible. Not because of the watch, but because Bradbury didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadgets/pebble-smartwatch

Despite what Bradbury said, it *can* show the actual content of SMS, emails, and other notifications. You don't need to pull your phone out of your pocket to read them...

Anyway. I finally received my Pebble a couple of weeks ago and I love it :)

I'm using it with an iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4.

Phone and SMS notifications work perfectly.

Notifications for 3rd party apps (e.g. Gmail, Facebook, etc.) do work, but you have to go into Settings and toggle them off and on if the watch gets disconnected. This is a limitation of iOS, not Pebble, due to limited access to the notification system. Apparently iOS 7 will allow full access to the notification system, which will fix this issue.

It's great being able to screen calls via my watch, without having to pull it out of my pocket. Also handy being able to read messages and emails etc., and see call notifications, when my phone is in my pocket, or when my phone is on my desk at work and I'm in the lab.

Some links:

Watchface generator

My Pebble Faces (all sorts of watchfaces and apps)

httpebble allows Pebble watchfaces and apps to access the internet.

iOS: httpebble

Android: Pebble Connect with httpebble

... using httpebble on your phone, you can then use watchfaces such as these:

Futura Weather

91 Weather