Oscars winner who you think didn't deserve their statues

LMLM Posts: 63,327
Forum Member
✭✭
Which oscars winner do you think didn't deserve their statues?

Octavia Spencer - The Help
Colin Firth - The King's speech
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Kate Winslet - The Reader
Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line
Hilary Swank - Million dollar baby
Halle Berry - Monster's ball
Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful mind
Marcia Gay Harden - Pollock
Judi Dench - Shakespeare in love
Helen Hunt - As good as it gets
Kim Basingner - LA Confidential
Kathy Bates - Misery
Brenda Fricker - My Left Foot
Jessica Lange - Tootsie
Meryl Streep - Kramer Vs Kramer
Louise Fletcher - Over the cuckoo's nest
Ruth Gordon - Rosemary's baby

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is one of your choices for one ho deserved it but one of mine is

Julia Roberts for Erin Brokovich. It should have gone to Ellen Burstyn for Requiem
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All of those DID deserve their Oscars, Hilary Swank especially - she was phenomenal in Million Dollar Baby.

Those who didn't in my opinion include:

Halle Berry (Monster's Ball)
    Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love)
    Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love)
    Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady - no doubt she deserved a 3rd Oscar, but this wasn't the film she should have got it for)
    Cher (Moonstruck)
    Marcia Gay Harden (Pollock)
    Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
    George Clooney (Syriana)
    Humphrey Bogart (The African Queen)
    Tom Hanks (Philadelphia and Forrest Gump)
    Sean Penn (Milk)

I'm not saying I dislike all those actors, just that for some in those particular years I think one of the other nominees was more deserving of the award.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »

Julia Roberts for Erin Brokovich. It should have gone to Ellen Burstyn for Requiem

A lot of people tend to say that. I haven't see Ellen in that film yet.:)
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kathy Bates - Misery
    Jessica Lange - Tootsie

I agree with these three.

Helen Hunt was without doubt the weakest in that years category (but she was the only American I believe).

Halle Berry - I don't want to sound controversial, but I honestly believe she won because of her colour.

Octavia Spencer. I'm not saying she didn't play the part well, but she is the same in everything she does (even her cameo in 'The Big Bang Theory').
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I always thought Mickey Rourke should have got Best Actor for The Wrestler and 2001: A Space Odyssey should have won Best Film and Best Director.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I agree with these three.

Helen Hunt was without doubt the weakest in that years category (but she was the only American I believe).

Halle Berry - I don't want to sound controversial, but I honestly believe she won because of her colour.

Octavia Spencer. I'm not saying she didn't play the part well, but she is the same in everything she does (even her cameo in 'The Big Bang Theory').

In every part she plays. Octavia always plays "big mouthed black woman".

Overall is a very average actress. Didn't deserve to be the first black woman to make that record

An insult Helen won, considering the amazing performances by Kate Winslet in Titanic and Judi Dench in Mrs Brown. Utter insult to them both.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    Bing Crosby - Going My Way - It should have gone to Fred MacMurray, who wasn't even Nominated for Double Indemnity

Barry Fitzgerald - Best Supporting Actor - Going My Way - It should have gone to Edward G Robinson, who was also ignored for his incredible performance in Double Indemnity

Ingrid Bergman - Gaslight - It should have been Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity

Leo McCarey - Director - Going My Way - It should have gone to Billy Wilder for Double Indemnity, he stuck his foot out and tripped up McCarey as he walked to the stage to pick up his undeserved Oscar. :D

Liz Taylor - Butterfield Eight - It should have been Jean Simmons, who wasn't even Nominated for Elmer Gantry.

I could write a book on who should and should not have won the Oscar, only someone beat me to it. A brilliant job he did too, and I am always checking it to see just how often I agree with Danny Peary, the author of the very entertaining and extremely well researched, "Alternative Oscars."
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny

I disagree.
    I think this is the best comedy performance from the last 25 years. She was fantastic in the role. She stole every scene she appeared in IMO.
    The film would have been nothing without her.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Hanks - Philadelphia
    Liam Neeson was absolutely robbed that year. Hanks only won because of the subject matter of his movie and as Schindler's List was so much better I think the Academy thought that they better throw Philadelphia a bone and picked Hanks over Neeson. I also think Denzel Washington would have made a better Best Actor nomination for Philadelphia as Hanks did little more than be thin and cough feebly throughout.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what annoys me is that the best actor so often goes to someone playing a disabled character or someone who does a lot of crying .

comedy performances never even get nommed
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    I think it's a very subjective thing. I've read everyone else's lists and there are some I agree with and some I totally disagree with.

I agree Helen Hunt shouldn't have won against Judi Dench but someone earlier in the thread mentioned Kate Winslet and I think it would have been a greater injustice had she won for Titanic for what I thought was a pretty bog standard performance which shouldn't have been nominated at all.

Winslet was however robbed of a statuette for Sense and Sensibility. Mira Sorvino was OK in Might Aphrodite but Oscar worthy? Not IMHO.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    what annoys me is that the best actor so often goes to someone playing a disabled character or someone who does a lot of crying .

That is usually what happens, except the 1950 Acadamy Awards when newcomer Judy Holliday won the Best Actress Oscar for Born Yesterday. What was even more surprising was that she was up against Bette Davis in All About Eve, and Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, two of the greatest performances given by those two actresses. They probably spit the votes, especially as Anne Baxter was also Nominated for the title role of Eve.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kathy Bates - Misery
    Jessica Lange - Tootsie

The highlighted 3 definitely deserved theirs - especially Kathy Bates.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »

Top off my list, too. And yes, Ellen should have won.

Also Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love...Fernanda Montenegro should have won, for Central Station.

Nicole Kidman, The Hours. Should have been Julianne Moore, for Far From Heaven.

Reese Witherspoon, Walk The Line..should have been Felicity Huffman, for Transamerica.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top off my list, too. And yes, Ellen should have won.

Also Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love...Fernanda Montenegro should have won, for Central Station.
    Nicole Kidman, The Hours. Should have been Julianne Moore, for Far From Heaven.

Reese Witherspoon, Walk The Line..should have been Felicity Huffman, for Transamerica.

or even Cate Blanchette for Elizabeth aswell would have been my choice that year - :)
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member

That's not quite right...Richard Dreyfus won a well deserved Oscar for 'The Goodbye Girl' and his co-star Marsha Mason was nominated.

That has got to be one of my favourite films and so funny.

I just have to say that I so disagree with another poster who thinks that Colin Firth did not deserve his Oscar...I thought he was truly brilliant in 'The King's Speech'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Penn for Milk as well. Mickey Rourke should have got that.

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. I love that guy but Heath Ledger deserved it for Brokeback.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people tend to say that. I haven't see Ellen in that film yet.:)

It's a powerhouse of a performance. Watch it as soon as you can.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    someone earlier in the thread mentioned Kate Winslet and I think it would have been a greater injustice had she won for Titanic for what I thought was a pretty bog standard performance which shouldn't have been nominated at all.

Winslet was however robbed of a statuette for Sense and Sensibility.

Agree with that. And when she did eventually win it should have been for Revolutionary Road, not The Reader. She's good in The Reader, but it's more a Supporting Actress role...

She should have won for Sense and Sensibility though, I still think that's her career best!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I think it's a very subjective thing. I've read everyone else's lists and there are some I agree with and some I totally disagree with.

I agree Helen Hunt shouldn't have won against Judi Dench but someone earlier in the thread mentioned Kate Winslet and I think it would have been a greater injustice had she won for Titanic for what I thought was a pretty bog standard performance which shouldn't have been nominated at all.

Winslet was however robbed of a statuette for Sense and Sensibility. Mira Sorvino was OK in Might Aphrodite but Oscar worthy? Not IMHO.

That's a shame, i love her in Titanic. The scene where Jack dies and she keeps calling him and the lets him go in the water, urgh, she breaks my heart everytime i watch that scene
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    That's a shame, i love her in Titanic. The scene where Jack dies and she keeps calling him and the lets him go in the water, urgh, she breaks my heart everytime i watch that scene

I know I'm not necessarily in the majority with that opinion but her role in Titanic just leaves me cold. I thought she was fine but not spectacular and I'd have given the award that year to Dench, Christie or Bonham-Carter over either Winslet or Hunt.

But then neither you nor I get a say, it's up to the 6000 or so academy members a large number of whom are getting on in years.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    That's not quite right...Richard Dreyfus won a well deserved Oscar for 'The Goodbye Girl' and his co-star Marsha Mason was nominated.

That has got to be one of my favourite films and so funny.

I just have to say that I so disagree with another poster who thinks that Colin Firth did not deserve his Oscar...I thought he was truly brilliant in 'The King's Speech'...

35 years ago tho .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felicity Huffman definitely should have won for Transamerica. That is a great movie and a really brave and 'ballsy' performance. Pun not intended.

Ellen should have also won for The Exorcist.