Options

Humax HDR causing interference - anybody help ?

I have a Humax Foxsat-HDR that is causing interference to my ADSL service and to some MSF clocks I have around the house.

Has anyone else experienced any similar problem with their HDR ?

Bob_Cat - any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

To explain my situation in more detail - whenever the HDR has power applied but is not actively recording or playing then it causes some interference to my telephone line and the ADSL signal it is carrying. This causes the SNR on the ADSL service to drop and hence the nett data throughput also decreases, and there is also a low level of background noise on the phone line.

If the HDR is then made to either play a recording or to make a new recording then the level of interference appears to increase as the ADSL SNR then decreases further to the point that the data throughput is very slow and the error correction figures in the router status info become large. The background noise on the line also increases although the line is still usable.

This makes me think that the interference increases when the hard disk is spinning as I assume that in standby the hard disk will stop spinning ? Or is it because the power supply is working harder when the hard drive is spinning so the cause may be the PSU radiating hash ?

In addition to the interference to the phone line and ADSL service, I also suffer with 4 radio controlled clocks that receive their time signals overnight from the MSF time signal on 60KHz.

If the HDR is left fully powered up overnight then all 4 clocks will fail to receive a correct time signal update, yet if the HDR was in Standby then the 2 clocks furthest away from the HDR will usually update Ok.

As proof of the above, if I unplug the HDR from the mains overnight then all 4 clocks will update Ok overnight and the ADSL SNR is at it's highest and the CRC error count basically doesn't change i.e. the line suffers no errors.

As far as I am aware the HDR is otherwise fully working and apart from some programmes failing to record properly (shown in the list but with the 'lightning' symbol) it does everything I expect from it.

It's still under warranty but as it records and plays back programmes then it's a bit difficult to send it back as faulty as a simple bench test would show it as fully working.

I have tried fitting a ground connection to the metal case of the HDR but that made no discernible difference. I am about to order some ferrites to fit around the mains lead and the satellite cables to see if the hash is coming from the cables.

Has anybody experienced anything similar ?

Or any suggestions to resolve it ?

Thanks
Newsreader

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member

I have a Humax Foxsat-HDR that is causing interference to my ADSL service and to some MSF clocks I have around the house.

Has anyone else experienced any similar problem with their HDR ?

Bob_Cat - any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

To explain my situation in more detail - whenever the HDR has power applied but is not actively recording or playing then it causes some interference to my telephone line and the ADSL signal it is carrying. This causes the SNR on the ADSL service to drop and hence the nett data throughput also decreases, and there is also a low level of background noise on the phone line.

If the HDR is then made to either play a recording or to make a new recording then the level of interference appears to increase as the ADSL SNR then decreases further to the point that the data throughput is very slow and the error correction figures in the router status info become large. The background noise on the line also increases although the line is still usable.

This makes me think that the interference increases when the hard disk is spinning as I assume that in standby the hard disk will stop spinning ? Or is it because the power supply is working harder when the hard drive is spinning so the cause may be the PSU radiating hash ?

In addition to the interference to the phone line and ADSL service, I also suffer with 4 radio controlled clocks that receive their time signals overnight from the MSF time signal on 60KHz.

If the HDR is left fully powered up overnight then all 4 clocks will fail to receive a correct time signal update, yet if the HDR was in Standby then the 2 clocks furthest away from the HDR will usually update Ok.

As proof of the above, if I unplug the HDR from the mains overnight then all 4 clocks will update Ok overnight and the ADSL SNR is at it's highest and the CRC error count basically doesn't change i.e. the line suffers no errors.

As far as I am aware the HDR is otherwise fully working and apart from some programmes failing to record properly (shown in the list but with the 'lightning' symbol) it does everything I expect from it.

It's still under warranty but as it records and plays back programmes then it's a bit difficult to send it back as faulty as a simple bench test would show it as fully working.

I have tried fitting a ground connection to the metal case of the HDR but that made no discernible difference. I am about to order some ferrites to fit around the mains lead and the satellite cables to see if the hash is coming from the cables.

Has anybody experienced anything similar ?

Or any suggestions to resolve it ?

Thanks
    Newsreader

Read this re-interference to phone line.
    http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html
    maybe the unused wires are re-radiating and upsetting your clocks also
  • Options
    Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member

I have an MSF clock in the same room as my HDR and don't have any problems.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank1 wrote: »
    I have an MSF clock in the same room as my HDR and don't have any problems.

I have 4 one is about 1m from the HDR. No problems at all. Very strange :confused:
  • Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Humax uses a switch mode power supply, then this might be the cause of the interference; might be a failed component in the SMPS. Take a look at the capacitors for any signs of bulging and any other components which might look odd.

Dan.
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Humax uses a switch mode power supply, then this might be the cause of the interference; might be a failed component in the SMPS. Take a look at the capacitors for any signs of bulging and any other components which might look odd.

Dan.

This sounds the most likely reason for your problem.
    I have 3 radio controlled clocks that use a transmitter somewhere in Germany. None of these is affected by my Humax Foxsat HD box. One of the clocks is only about 2 feet away from the box.

Chris.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try a portable radio with long wave, medium wave and vhf close to the hdr and tune to see if you can pick up any rf.