Options

Separating foods/sauces on plate...who does this?

Comments

• Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you can taste the foods and they aren`t just a massive slop. some things are particularly revolting when mixed - tomato juice or beans mixed with runny yolk : puke: gravy mixed with mash. i feel sick as a dog now. /|\

:eek: They are just yummy!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Olls~ wrote: »
    :eek: They are just yummy!

that`s you off the dinner party list.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I have no idea why anyone who would do this.

Nor me to be honest. I just eat what's on the plate, irrespective of whether the separate items merge or not.

But then I've probably got habits which the OP might find just as incomprehensible. We're all different.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My food gets all mixed up! Looks less appealing but taste's a lot nicer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it`s like baby food. and ketchup, why do some people put it on stuff like roast dinners, it must taste bloody awful.
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that`s you off the dinner party list.

:(

Ketchup on a roast dinner? Noooo, but on cottage pie? Yes please :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s like baby food. and ketchup, why do some people put it on stuff like roast dinners, it must taste bloody awful.

I absolutely adore Ketchup on Chips and Curry from the chippy. :eek:
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be like this but I seem to have got over it. Years ago I used to freak if I was served a jacket potato with beans on top of the cheese instead of on the side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I absolutely adore Ketchup on Chips and Curry from the chippy. :eek:

that`s appropriate use of ketchup :cool: i love curry sauce on chips and the butties dipped in.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I'm the same. Baked beans for example cannot touch anything else on the plate, gravy on a roast dinner has to go on the meat but not the potatoes or veg. Ketcup/mayo/brown sauce etc has to go WITH the food but not ON the food.

I absolutely cannot eat something from someone else's plate either!

Yes, I am a freak too :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'm the same. Baked beans for example cannot touch anything else on the plate, gravy on a roast dinner has to go on the meat but not the potatoes or veg. Ketcup/mayo/brown sauce etc has to go WITH the food but not ON the food.

Na, I'm the same with stuff off other people's plate's. I can be absolutely starving after finishing my meal but if someone offers me their left overs, I have to refuse, can't stomach it! I get a feeling that their saliva is on the food left over for some reason :confused:
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I like to mix my food up straight away...spaghetti with the sauce and curry with the rice.

When I was a kid and had sausage, mash and beans I used to slit the sausage like a hot dog bun, put in some beans and then fill it with mash. Then I used to slice the sausages and eat them. Don't do that any more though. I don't like any sauces like ketchup or mayonaise.

With other dinners I put a little bit of everything on my fork.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »

ditto. or have a bite of someone else`s chocolate bar or whatever and i can`t share a drink with anyone, it`s revolting.

if i have seconds of anything i have to have a clean plate and cutlery [which i scald off first].
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with you on that....

I tend to eat all the different ingredients of my meals separately. So that'll be all the carrots in one go, then move on to the cabbage etc....don't tend to mix things on the fork

I do this as well :D I also save the nicest component of the meal til last!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I do this with most food - it's part of my OCD apparently. I didn't realise it was odd until I was a teenager.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Na, I'm the same with stuff off other people's plate's. I can be absolutely starving after finishing my meal but if someone offers me their left overs, I have to refuse, can't stomach it! I get a feeling that their saliva is on the food left over for some reason :confused:

We're food fad twins - that's the exact same reason I cannot contemplate eating something from someone else's plate! Not even my own partner's plate!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It's probably a personal idiosynracy like OCD people having to have tins facing the same way.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Mr B won't eat anything with sauce on it. He will just about tolerate a blob of gravy at the outer edge of a sunday roast - but I have to make the gravy thick enough to stand a spoon in :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you think ketchup is awful on roast dinner i know someone who has salad cream on thiers
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I can absolutely see the sense in not mixing say, a sauce with a crispy-textured food because the sauce will make the latter soggy and that's not the mouth feel you want with that dish. So when I make scrambled eggs on toast, the toast is on the side so that soft, silky egg meets crisp, buttery toast in the same mouthful.

However, most of the time, it makes no sense. Spaghetti Bolognese doesn't work at all unless the sauce and the pasta are thoroughly mixed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting better at letting certain foods touch but I used to be really fussy. When I was little baked beans weren't allowed to touch chips or potato waffles but they were allowed to touch mash. Now I don't mind at all.

If I have "beans on toast" I have beans AND toast. Beans in a bowl and a plate of toast on the side. I hate the soggyness when beans are put on top of toast. Ugh.

I've never had any problem with my entire roast dinner being drowned in gravy though. Yum!

My OH loves his roast dinner covered in mayo or BBQ sauce. He also does the mix of BBQ/mayo as some other posters have mentioned. I hate all condiments. Epecially ketchup. The sight and smells makes me gag.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I don't really worry about sauces, but I do like to seperate my pasta from whatever sauce it has, unless it's all in one big dish. I just have the pasta on one side or on the bottom, then the sauce on the other side, or a small amount on top of the pasta. My son will mix it all in, but I like them seperate. I do the same for rice. But if I'm having a roast dinner, then gravy must be over everything, and plenty of it :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I love my food all slopped together.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Nope, I love my food all slopped together.

Oh Kev :(
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Oh great, now I have the opening few lines of basket case by greenday stuck in my head :(