What was the best regeneration?

2»

Comments

• Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    what puts me off Tom's a bit is that his regeneration was caused by something so silly. It kind of seems even sillier now we have seen DT's Doc fall god knows how much further, crashing through a roof and have just a few cuts to show for it!:o

I just think after being in the role for so long he should have had a more dramatic exit! At least have him battling with the master and being pushed off!

It goes back to expectation, as Crazzy was saying. For me, the final episode of Logopolis was what got me into Doctor Who. I had seen brief bits of previous stories with Tom Baker in so therefore I watched it sort of not really knowing it was his last episode until the end of it. I didn't have that attachment to make a judgement at the time.

Having watched it again lots of times since it first came out on Video/DVD I still enjoy it for what it is, yes, maybe as you say it could have been better but I still enjoy watching it nonetheless.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It goes back to expectation, as Crazzy was saying. For me, the final episode of Logopolis was what got me into Doctor Who. I had seen brief bits of previous stories with Tom Baker in so therefore I watched it sort of not really knowing it was his last episode until the end of it. I didn't have that attachment to make a judgement at the time.

Having watched it again lots of times since it first came out on Video/DVD I still enjoy it for what it is, yes, maybe as you say it could have been better but I still enjoy watching it nonetheless.

I don't dislike the story as a whole, it's just that last bit doesn't work for me.

Also the rather comic cut away to the companions as he falls as they all look downwards at the same moment makes me laugh and breaks any drama created!:o:D
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the Davison/Colin Baker regeneration was probably about the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watched since 2005 Tennant had the best regeneration scene but Ecclestones last words were awesome.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also liked the music with 9 - a gentle build up through the regeneration itself. The OTT music from EoT has actually made me feel very "get on with it..."

I think Hartnell's speech about no tears and no regrets should apply to future regenerarions....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston's had to be the best. Absolutely loved it and the "Where were we?..... Oh yeah Barcelona!" From David Tennant. Brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's very early to say but the way Matt Smith's Doctor has been portrayed thus far I feel that his Doctor shouldn't go out dramatically like DT did but should go out on a up lifting tone possibly with his Action theme in the background (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdejh3Ygw3U) not that I don't like DT's exit I just don't think it would MS's doctor (well the doctor we have seen so far)
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logopolis was the best set up. I just love the way it's all so "normal".

However PD's regen was very well done. Peri's breasts though do tend to over shadow it...

Have to say Colin Baker's first words were excellent.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    In a way they are his final lines ever in the Tardis.....because he shot SJA after he finished on Doctor Who...its why I had a bit of wee cry then:o

But again like you yourself pointed out, him not having anyone with him really limited what he could say. As for the way he says it....after seeing the way Euros Lyn intially wanted to direct that scene in DWC, I feel proud of DT for actually making it more dignified than what Lyn wanted...which was to have him have a breakdown!:eek:....Having read the script that was availble on the Writer's Tale website, even RTD seems to suggest that the Doctor is honestly speaking but saying it with dignity....so I have no idea why Lyn wanted the Doctor to have a breakdown?:confused: I guess maybe he thought that such lines would be suited better if the Doctor was litrally crying his head off.
    I don't know why they didn't do it like that, might have been better.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure, definitely not a Classic series one, but then I haven't seen them all.
    There's something about the new style that makes me a bit hot, anyway moving quickly on.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeteSD wrote: »
    The Fourth Dr knew his time was up the minute he saw the Watcher in episode one of Logopolis. He went through the whole story knowing this was the end.. which for me added a lot of gravitas to the whole affair.

I know that he knew his end was nigh.....but just letting go like that didn't add gravitas for me...if felt like he had enough and was giving up...which wasn't in his character. I mean even though I haven't seen it, I know why Hartnell regenerates....for him his body giving up makes sense....but for the fourth Doctor, just letting go doesn't. If the Master had at least just pushed him, it would have made it that easier to accept.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they didn't do it like that, might have been better.

Thye didn't do it, because David didn't feel it was right for his character....he felt that having a breakdown like that would have taken away any remaining diginty and that last bit of honour. They did three takes, and David asked for the one with with the less emotions....I can imagine it that if it had been completely down to David...we may not even seen a him shed a tear at all....
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    My favourite is Doc8 to Doc9 because it is only in my imagination. ;)

Only joking. Actually I really like 7 to 8 because you see the face morph from one to the other. I'm not keen on the big orange fire in the new series regenerations. I prefer the slower focus on the face. 4 to 5 was good.

I also think 1 to 2 looks pretty good, dated but imagine how cool that was back in the day.
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I think Hartnell's speech about no tears and no regrets should apply to future regenerarions....

I think 1 to 2 is one of the best, considering the lack of special effects they had back then it looks fantastic.

Thank god for Biddy Baxter....
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serton wrote: »
    Logopolis was the best set up. I just love the way it's all so "normal".

However PD's regen was very well done. Peri's breasts though do tend to over shadow it...

Have to say Colin Baker's first words were excellent.

Best Part of PD's regeneration, even he thinks so!!!!!!

:D:D:D