nexus 7 wont turn on.... help please

biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
Forum Member
had my nexus 7 all of 24hrs. was readinga book on it last night. had about 25% battery left. i turned it off and left it on the side. got up decided to charge it but it didnt get a battery on screen to say was charging so i tried to turn it on. wont turn on at all. have left it charging i guess maybe battery just completely drained. what do you think? im worried.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i would be worried too.

i have nothing useful to say really. that 25% may have been nothing as the fuel gauge probably hadn't had time to calibrate.

charging completely flat devices via usb is tricky because it's a two way process. but normally leaving it on charge will suffice.

i'd give it an hour or so. then **** it off.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biawhiska wrote: »
    had my nexus 7 all of 24hrs. was readinga book on it last night. had about 25% battery left. i turned it off and left it on the side. got up decided to charge it but it didnt get a battery on screen to say was charging so i tried to turn it on. wont turn on at all. have left it charging i guess maybe battery just completely drained. what do you think? im worried.

Have you tried keeping the power button held for 10 secs approx.?
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold down the power button and volume Up and it shoot reboot.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Have you tried keeping the power button held for 10 secs approx.?
    This.

I've had to do this twice. Once very soon after I got the tablet. I thought it was broken until I looked up how to do a soft reset (or whatever they call it).
  • biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    nope not worked. am gonna see if it charges. can u take the battery out then? thanks all for the replies
    Forum Member
    oh its turned on after another 10 second hold. leavin it on charge for a bit. thanks
    Forum Member
    that was a scary time! think will leave it switched on.
  • copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems simple to me.... return it.
    Forum Member
    me too. if i'd had something 6 months i might be prepared to invest some time in fixing it. but if it happened after 24 hours i wouldn't entertain it.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    its just a soft reset .... something locked the machine up, probably a rogue app.

Im not sure its a return issue yet .... maybe if it happens again you might want to look for dodgy apps and if nothing stands out THEN maybe think that it might be a hardware fault.

I would very much expect that its NOT a hardware issue.
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    its just a soft reset .... something locked the machine up, probably a rogue app.

Im not sure its a return issue yet .... maybe if it happens again you might want to look for dodgy apps and if nothing stands out THEN maybe think that it might be a hardware fault.

thankyou. not many apps on it. i will see how it goes today and see what happens tomorrow
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to keep the on button pressed down for 25 seconds, not 10 seconds.

I had the same problem the day or so after I bought it and now about half the time when I turn it on I have to keep the on button depressed for that long for it to switch on.
    Forum Member
    goodness! ok thanks. yes my button was pressed about 12 seconds.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    You need to keep the on button pressed down for 25 seconds, not 10 seconds.
    Is it as long as that? I was going to post that I thought it might be more than ten seconds, but I hadn't realised it was that long!
    I had the same problem the day or so after I bought it and now about half the time when I turn it on I have to keep the on button depressed for that long for it to switch on.
    That seems excessive.

Are you switching the device completely off each time after use? Most of the time I'm just leaving it in standby (brief press of the switch), so perhaps there is a problem here which most people don't see.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Are you switching the device completely off each time after use? Most of the time I'm just leaving it in standby (brief press of the switch), so perhaps there is a problem here which most people don't see.

Yes I usually switch off when I stop using it rather than leave it in standby.
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Yes I usually switch off when I stop using it rather than leave it in standby.

that is not really the way they are intended to operate. there is little advantage to it.

a day on standby only uses about as much power as 40 minutes switched on. so as long as you are using it every couple of days it's not a huge deal.
    Forum Member
    i will leave mine on now i think. bit like a phone then. i always keep it on and then just put it on standby
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thankyou. not many apps on it. i will see how it goes today and see what happens tomorrow
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening. Even then it's most likely a software issue.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I had a panic with this. I got help here...

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/594627-nexus-7-dead-wont-charge.html
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Yes I had a panic with this. I got help here...

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/594627-nexus-7-dead-wont-charge.html

as is often the case with these things that thread has a lot of nearly right information, and a lot that is right for the wrong reason.
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »

Hi, the same thing has happened to my nexus and it still has not come on, if it does what do i look for when it comes to dodgy apps? Also have you any idea how to uninstall?
    Forum Member
    This nexus is as dead as Hector. Have tried holding the power button down with the volume button for 45 sec and still nothing.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know obvious, but make sure its got enough charge to turn on.
    Forum Member
    Yes i'll do that because i don't know what else to do, but the battery should not have run out, it was at around 43% before this happened. I saw on another thread regarding the cases playing havoc with the nexus and i just got a case yesterday, i'll take it out of the case and charge it and hope for the best. Thanks for replying.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will leave mine on now i think. bit like a phone then. i always keep it on and then just put it on standby

Nexus has a CPU governor which helps to minimize power use when on.
    When in standby it will eventually go into a 'deep sleep'.

Good explanation here