iPad mini from £269 worth it?

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think the price of the iPad mini is worth £269? I was hoping it would be less but was realistic given the price of the new iPod touch.

I want one but will need to save a bit more.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7 16/32GB from £199 is way way WAY more worth it than this.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »

In your opinion.

I was holding out for a mini to replace a Kindle - bit pricier than I thought it would be. - But more screen real estate for those Back To My Mac moments. More practical to carry than a full size iPad - or Macbook
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wait to see if the Nexus update is purely based on memory. Xmas will definitely be interesting this year :D
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inferior spec to nexus7 for more money .... they could at least of matched the nexus7 !!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's okay for existing Apple customers with lots of apps who don't want to jump ship I suppose.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would agree.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an iPhone and a touch at the moment but after seeing the new iPad mini I've decided to go with the Nexus 7, just because the Android platform seems more exciting, I'm bored with Apple.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    More practical to carry than a full size iPad - or Macbook

A bit more practical yes, but far less practical than a Kindle or Nexus 7, don't you agree? I don't see the ipad mini as a kindle replacement myself.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, thats me out then:( I've been waiting for an ipad mini launch as I don't want a 10" tablet as too bulky, and have quite a few ipod touch apps and store credit already, but at that price forget it - at £199 for 16Gb I probably would have been interested, but seeing as the Nexus with 32Gb will come in at £199 thats looking favorite now especialy as it has USB as well which I couldn't see mentioned for the mini.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    In your opinion.

I was holding out for a mini to replace a Kindle - bit pricier than I thought it would be. - But more screen real estate for those Back To My Mac moments. More practical to carry than a full size iPad - or Macbook

Not really my opinion, but common sense. But each to their own I guess. It would be even more practical to carry around a Nexus 7. It's really great on the go.
  • JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    IMO that's way to high a starting price. It will still sell loads, but I was thinking earlier today that if the price was gonna be anything over £200 LOTS of people would be put off seeing the Nexus and Kindle Fire HD as much better value for money. I sort of had in mind that a £200 starting price was sort of a red line that Apple should not cross over for this sized product.

I have an IPad and I love it to bits. It cost a lot of money, but it is a premium sized product. The mini I'm sure is also gonna be great, but Apple will find so many people putting it side by side with the Fire HD & Nexus 7 & OTHERS and thinking "Is it worth it?". IMO many people will say it is NOT worth it and we will see quite a lot of press and magazines saying the same thing.

The mini will sell loads, but if they had gone for a £199 start up price sales would probably have gone through the roof.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    A bit more practical yes, but far less practical than a Kindle or Nexus 7, don't you agree? I don't see the ipad mini as a kindle replacement myself.

Pretty similar to be honest
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

can you fit the mini ipad in an inside jacket pocket? Hell at a push I can stick my nexus in the back jeans pocket, but it wouldn't stay there for long in East London :D
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    can you fit the mini ipad in an inside jacket pocket? Hell at a push I can stick my nexus in the back jeans pocket, but it wouldn't stay there for long in East London :D

I can't fit a 7" Tablet in my jacket or jeans so I would say no :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I can fit mine in my pocket. I don't generally, but I can. Certainly no trouble in a jacket pocket.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting them to start at £300, it will sell loads, santa will be delivering loads. I am not an apple fanboy the os is an easy and well polished system to use, I think there wil be alot of children getting these instead of a touch.

Well at least with apple nowadays they can not keep secrets any more, we generally know what they are going to launch
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In half a year there will be another model with a hi-res display.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    For the 32GB models the nexus is £199 and the iPad mini £349. That is an impressive difference.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    For the 32GB models the nexus is £199 and the iPad mini £349. That is an impressive difference.

It certainly is - I bet Google wish they could get away with charging so much
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kindle is an eReader.

iPad is a full colour tablet.

Couldn't be more different.

Unless you're talking about the Kindle Fire? I think I'd prefer the basic Kindle Fire over the iPad Mini - massive price difference for a start, not a massive difference in spec.

The Kindle Fire HD is arguably better spec (high resolution screen for starters), and the Nexus 7 is massively better, at least purely on spec.

Beyond the spec it comes down to personal preference. There are enough decent apps available on both platforms to make them pretty equal.

Personally I'm going to stick with the Playbook; 64gb for £129, built ridiculously well, and is about the only one with a truly natural UX.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Kindle is an eReader.

iPad is a full colour tablet.

Couldn't be more different.

Unless you're talking about the Kindle Fire? I think I'd prefer the basic Kindle Fire over the iPad Mini - massive price difference for a start, not a massive difference in spec.

The Kindle Fire HD is arguably better spec (high resolution screen for starters), and the Nexus 7 is massively better, at least purely on spec.

Beyond the spec it comes down to personal preference. There are enough decent apps available on both platforms to make them pretty equal.

Personally I'm going to stick with the Playbook; 64gb for £129, built ridiculously well, and is about the only one with a truly natural UX.

Well I assumed poster meant Kindle Fire and not the eReader...comparing it to the eReader would be daft.

Ah, now the Playbook...now that is a proper tablet
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    In half a year there will be another model with a hi-res display.

The scary thing isn't that such a device will happen, its the timing. Apple are now starting to drop their roughly annual updates for whenever it suits the new management.

And to a certain extent, elements of product quality are definitely dropping - the focus on quality isn't quite the same, the focus is primarily on profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I assumed poster meant Kindle Fire and not the eReader...comparing it to the eReader would be daft.

Ah, now the Playbook...now that is a proper tablet

The Nexus 7 is way better than the Playbook (and iPad Mini) and better value too. Seems to be paying off so far for Google.
    Forum Member
    The Nexus 7 is way better than the Playbook (and iPad Mini) and better value too. Seems to be paying off so far for Google.

Way better? In what ways? Nothing I can't do on my Playbook that I would need a Nexus 7 for...and got 64GB storage...and I prefer the UI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way better? In what ways? Nothing I can't do on my Playbook that I would need a Nexus 7 for...and got 64GB storage...and I prefer the UI

The Nexus 7 is a far superior gaming device for a start, access to a far superior E-book store and app ecosystem, plus you can host all of your music and what ever else you feel comfortable with in the cloud and leave the rest for the onboard memory. The Playbook has next to no apps, and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.