Mis-pronunciations that irritate you

Comments

• rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    I found this funny,
    this morning while flicking through the news channels I came a cross a Fox News report about rich Americans going to live in tax havens and there was a map showing the various places where they where going and the presenter was reeling of names of the map, and when he said Guernsey or rather Gur-nes- say I thought that was quite funny:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to use Americans as a scapegoat again... but.. when Americans pronounce Moscow like Moss-COW instead of Moss-coe. Also Glass-gow instead of Glaz-goe for Glasgow.
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piss pronunciations
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    People who pronounce "height" as "heighth"
    People who pronounce "west" as "wesht"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Gravitas wrote: »
    piss pronunciations

Like pish?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hungover wrote: »
    the parish was st. Mary le burn as in Ty burn, a popular tree for hanging catholic "strange fruit". In time it was renamed St Mary le Bone, so I guess that is how it should be pronounced... Mind you what about the haringey vs haringay? Location Vs municipal council.

There is no such place as 'Haringay'!

There is Haringey, which is the London Borough.

And there is Harringay, which is a local area, within the borough of Haringey!

However, both are pronounced the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have many pet peeves around this subject, although it's the same error, please bear in mind I am a Geordie.

Newcastle pronounced newcarrsle
    grass pronounces grarrss

There is no bloody RRRR in Newcastle you jibbering idiots (in the majority of cases)

and before anyone says it yes film does have a U in it
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    When people say the Letter H like haich it should be said without the huh sound - 'Aitch'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Hospital - HospiCull :mad:
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Furore pronounced with an 'ay' at the end.

Vice versa pronounced "vicer versa".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    With the Olympics nearing we will have stories of athletes "medaling" or "hoping to medal". Sounds like the sordid pastime of Tommy's uncle Ernie
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Barlow constantly saying "preformance" on the X Factor last year made me want to chew my own teeth into my head.
  • mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandatory as man-DATE-ory. Don't know if it's a regional thing, as it only seems to be colleagues from one specific office that do it!
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Formally when formerly is meant. I've seen that on here a few times.

I did one of those the other day. More of a spelling mental block. :o
    Persons originating from southern England (such as myself) pronounce Bath, Path and Laugh as Barth, Parth and Larth. Maths is pronounced as it is spelt, I have never heard it being pronounced as Marths, then again I do not like shortened versions of words and therefore say the full word Mathematics.

Glass, Pass and Past are pronounced here in southern England as Glarse, Parse and Parst.

It sometimes suits northerners to point out the incorrectness of the long 'a'. This happened at the last place I worked. Someone would ask "Have you a glarss I can borrow?". Answer: "No, but we've got a glass, though":D

But there's a newsreader on the late night News 24, who takes this too far and pronounces 'half' as 'haff', which is quite annoying. "We'll be reviewing the papers in haff an hour". Someone should tell him. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree, us northeners tend to say words such as bath, glass etc correctly, however I do pronounce plaster and plasterer wrong with a long a or ar

Oh yeh and filum
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    tuff - instead of tooth

drives me mad!!!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Coo Ling wrote: »
    One of our local radio presenters who says Twenny as in Twenny Twenny cricket, Thirdy and Fordy, instead of Twenty,Thirty and Forty. It sounds horrible.

The 'Smashy and Nicey' school of DJ-ing is still alive and well in the northern provinces then! :D

Radio 2 DJ Steve Wright used to mis-pronounce words all the time on Radio 1 and 2 and I suppose he thought it was funny/charming: 'skelington' and 'chimley' being the prime offenders that stick in my mind.

As an aside, I haven't listened to him for years but I'll bet if I tuned in tomorrow he'd still be mispronouncing words, reading vacuous 'Factoids' and 'sucking up' in celebrity interviews.
  • tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from some already mentioned, the one that irritates me the most is prostrate instead of prostate.

If it wasn't so serious, when someone says "oh he's got prostrate cancer", I'm so tempted to ask if he got it from lying down a lot
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pronunciation of MISCHIEVOUS as MISCHIEVIOUS. There was a presenter on BBC news this morning who kept saying it. Grrr...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Late comer to the thread but it's nice to see my pet peeves have been covered by other people!

Chimley - recently looking for a new house and the owner explained all about the "Chimley breast".

Math - I'm guessing the 's' fell off the boat on the way over to America.

Expresso - There's a coffee shop near me called "Classico Expresso". I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but I just can't.

But the one that has me spitting at the TV whenever I hear it is "Congradulations". Arrrrgggghhhhh!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    kikifi wrote: »
    When people say the Letter H like haich it should be said without the huh sound - 'Aitch'

I must admit, I do this :o

I had a singing tutor when young and she used to make me say/sing it like that along with rolling my Rs and emphasizing my Bs, Ds and Ts. God help if you were lazy with your Ts :D

For my own hates though, both spoken and typed aks instead of ask and teh instead of the. A friend used to be terrible for it to the point where I stopped responding to her if she said either.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a mis-pronunciation, but terrible nevertheless -

Kids - instead of children :mad:
  • JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    i wouldnt say irritate as such but it is pronounced wrong, and read why that is

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=341630
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    'Interpretate' instead of 'Interpret'.
    'Many a times' instead of 'Many a time'.
    'Pacific' instead of 'Specific'.
    'Probly' instead of 'Probably'.
    'Upmost' instead of 'Utmost'.
    'Fortay' instead of 'Fort' when saying Forte.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    snellster wrote: »
    I have many pet peeves around this subject, although it's the same error, please bear in mind I am a Geordie.

Newcastle pronounced newcarrsle
    grass pronounces grarrss

There is no bloody RRRR in Newcastle you jibbering idiots (in the majority of cases)

and before anyone says it yes film does have a U in it

Is it Newcastle or Newcastle ?

The Newcastle pronunciation seems to have emerged from nowhere in the past 10 years or so. I never heard anyone pronounce it that way before.

Perhaps I'm getting a bit old, but when I was a bit younger people used to say contributing whereas everyone seems to say contributing these days. Also Islamist rather than Islamist

The one that really irritates me is harassment. The American pronunciation seems to have taken over completely.