simon pegg without nick frost please

2»

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I'd say the other way round. Nick Frost without Simon Pegg.
    I'd go one step further and say both of them without each other. Absolutely dreadful films.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright trilogy - which in turn is based on Spaced.

When they work together it's pure gold (fried gold at that).
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why people are writing off World's end because of 2 minute trailer of a film where they are clearly keeping stuff back.
    Because the entire purpose of trailers is to make you want to see the product, and it didn't have a single funny moment! I can't see why people don't understand that personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the entire purpose of trailers is to make you want to see the product, and it didn't have a single funny moment! I can't see why people don't understand that personally.

The Hot Fuzz trailer doesn't have many funny moments in it yet I find the film hilarious mainly because of the editing, style and the context of the whole movie. If I hadn't watched it and someone showed me little tidbits I probably wouldn't raise a smirk. These films are known to be funny but they aren't known to be based on purely one-liners and comedy set pieces.

Shaun sort of does but that is far more of a conventional comedy than HF.

I laughed at the fence-jump callback from TWE trailer but not anything else but I still thought the film would be really good because it is 99% likely it will be in the exact same style as Hot Fuzz, Shaun and Spaced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally get that it might well be a hilarious film when it does come out, but I just don't think it's at all unfair for people to start forming preliminary opinions when the thing that's supposed to make people want to see the film achieves the opposite result.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Shaun of the Dead was OK, I really like Hot Fuzz, the trailer for The Worlds End looks very ropey and not what I was expecting at all.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get it. You didn't like the trailer, Mr Thunder Lips. You can move on with your life now. :)
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Frost did 'Danger: 10,000 Volts' which was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frost's new movie, Cuban Fury, also sounds pretty good. :)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Are folk really judging the movie based on a short trailer?
    No. Almost everyone is discussing past films by the same director. At the time of your post, I don't see any criticisms about the new film at all. Thunder Lips said the trailer had no jokes: that was about the trailer, not the film.
    I can't see why people are writing off World's end because of 2 minute trailer of a film where they are clearly keeping stuff back.
    Who is doing that? Several of us have said we liked Shaun of the Dead, but didn't like any of his later films. That track record is a valid reason for being less than enthusiastic about his newest attempt. Especially as the trailer does nothing to suggest it will be different or better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    We get it. You didn't like the trailer, Mr Thunder Lips. You can move on with your life now. :)
    A bit rude (not to mention hypocritical) and uncalled for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hot Fuzz trailer doesn't have many funny moments in it

And neither does the entire film
    A bit rude (not to mention hypocritical) and uncalled for.

Delboy was rude to me too when I said I didn't like the trailer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy was rude to me too when I said I didn't like the trailer.

See post #7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See nothing, just learn to respect other people's point of view rather than insult them. It's not difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, an apology means nothing to you? Fair enough.

I'd hate to see what you're like when you're in a serious discussion and someone tries to apologise for something.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon and nick are a great double act and shoul never be seperated just like
    trev and simon
    ant and dec
    hale and pace
    meat and loaf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And neither does the entire film

It does to me. And many many other people.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craggers wrote: »
    Man Stroke Woman is a classic example of how brilliant Nick Frost is
    Man Stroke Woman was a work of genius, but it was the women who made that work. The men's roles could have been played by almost anybody.

Wish they'd repeat it.
  • subbyedsubbyed Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    The Hot Fuzz trailer doesn't have many funny moments in it yet I find the film hilarious mainly because of the editing, style and the context of the whole movie. If I hadn't watched it and someone showed me little tidbits I probably wouldn't raise a smirk. These films are known to be funny but they aren't known to be based on purely one-liners and comedy set pieces.

Shaun sort of does but that is far more of a conventional comedy than HF.

I laughed at the fence-jump callback from TWE trailer but not anything else but I still thought the film would be really good because it is 99% likely it will be in the exact same style as Hot Fuzz, Shaun and Spaced.

I agree that the editing is a key factor (especially in Hot Fuzz, which I find funnier and funnier the more I watch it). TWE has a different editor from all the others though, so it will be interesting to see how that works...