Apart from GTA V, what good games are left to come out on the PS3?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

None of the 8th generation consoles are the massive improvements on the last that would convince people to purchase and replace their current machines.

I think the fact that pre-orders are sold out shows plenty of people think otherwise.

There's still plenty of life in current gen consoles but there are improvements to be had and as the next gen evolves there'll probably be additional functionality built in which is not available now.

Whether or not anyone wants to upgrade is all down to personal choice. There's not much chance I'll be uploading gameplay to youtube but there's a generation or two below me who live for that kind of thing and it's a big selling point to them.

You're happy with this gen as are many others, but there's plenty of other people who want that bit more. I think within a couple of years though you'll probably change your opinion as the PS3 will start to look outdated. I'll be buying a PS4 and keeping my PS3 too so I'll have the best of both worlds.
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    I think the fact that pre-orders are sold out shows plenty of people think otherwise.

I shows people bought into the hype.

The fact many are reconsidering their pre-orders, as evident on this forum, shows some are now seeing there is really little need to replace their hardware yet when the next gen of consoles are not enriching or improving their gaming experience
    There's still plenty of life in current gen consoles but there are improvements to be had and as the next gen evolves there'll probably be additional functionality built in which is not available now.

It's the tech hardware itself that is wholly unimpressive. The current gen jumped leaps and bounds over the previous.
    Whether or not anyone wants to upgrade is all down to personal choice. There's not much chance I'll be uploading gameplay to youtube but there's a generation or two below me who live for that kind of thing and it's a big selling point to them.

If this up-coming generation of consoles is defined by the user's ability to upload videos gameplay, then the sooner it dies on its arse and moves on the better.
    You're happy with this gen as are many others, but there's plenty of other people who want that bit more. I think within a couple of years though you'll probably change your opinion as the PS3 will start to look outdated. I'll be buying a PS4 and keeping my PS3 too so I'll have the best of both worlds.

I'll only consider buying a PS4 when they stop releasing PS3 titles, or u-turn on their backward compatibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My attitude has nothing to do with HD TVs or camera phones. Yet more silly attempts to draw attention away from your weak argument about what is essentially a PS3.5.

And if you cannot see the motivation in the CEO of a software developer making absurd statements then it's as hopeless as everything else you have posted.

There's no need to replace the hardware just yet. There is little to convince people to part with their PS3s when titles are still being released and the PS4 is not a marked improvement.
    You are doing very much that.

You're suggesting that we shouldn't get new consoles because the current consoles are plenty capable and that the new consoles are only giving you paltry improvements.

And so that is akin to saying let's not buy a HD TV because I can watch BBC One perfectly fine on my SD TV or let's not buy a phone with a camera in it because that's just a gimmick and hey if I want to take a picture I've got my Kodak for that.

Neither is Yves' statement absurd. This happens every generation - and not just for gaming. It goes back to my market saturation point, once you reach the downward trend after your peak you introduce something new. Right now we're on the downward trend and the new consoles will begin a new upward trend line.

To say that they're just PS3.5 or Xbox 361 is borderline ridiculous.

A very good point. Pre-orders for both consoles are tracking well-above previous generations. Record numbers shows that there is strong demand for them.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I’ve referred to previously on here, the PS3 and 360 have much longevity remaining. Both are exceptional systems with hugely impressive gaming libraries. However, I feel the next gen will offer a key and timely evolve. Not necessarily the hyper ‘wow’ graphical factor but a more discrete physics based visual improve. Sharper loading, slick UI’s, evolving features and an all round more consumer friendly experience. For me, it’s time for next gen. But the ’old' gen ain’t going anywhere quick.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think you only have to look at battlefield to see the difference and will be ultimately why i upgrade no doubt. Ps3 and xbox, 24 players. . Less vehicles. Smaller playing area.
    Pc. Xbox 1 and ps4.....64 players and faster fps. This is a dramatic increase in processing capability.

Im hanging off til next year sometime but do want that power and experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shows people bought into the hype.

The fact many are reconsidering their pre-orders, as evident on this forum, shows some are now seeing there is really little need to replace their hardware yet when the next gen of consoles are not enriching or improving their gaming experience

It's the tech hardware itself that is wholly unimpressive. The current gen jumped leaps and bounds over the previous.

If this up-coming generation of consoles is defined by the user's ability to upload videos gameplay, then the sooner it dies on its arse and moves on the better.

I'll only consider buying a PS4 when they stop releasing PS3 titles, or u-turn on their backward compatibility.

The technology available to PS3 caused that huge leap. Blu-ray, wireless networking, digital downloads, good quality online play. What is there available now that could vastly improve on that in a PS4?

The increase in processing power will lead to bigger and more involving games. Like gillyallan said, the increase in players on BF4 isn't possible on PS3 so thats a massive selling point (I'm buying a PS4 and BF4 for this reason alone). Imagine the next GTA, Uncharted or Last of Us on PS4.

The social features are not really up my street to be honest but they don't bother me either. Whether you like it or not that's the way technology and society is heading and it's a big feature.

Whether you're impressed by the next gen offerings or not is your opinion. The PS3 will be alive and kicking for a good while yet so stick with it if you wish but let others who don't share your opinion enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The technology available to PS3 caused that huge leap. Blu-ray, wireless networking, digital downloads, good quality online play. What is there available now that could vastly improve on that in a PS4?

The increase in processing power will lead to bigger and more involving games. Like gillyallan said, the increase in players on BF4 isn't possible on PS3 so thats a massive selling point (I'm buying a PS4 and BF4 for this reason alone). Imagine the next GTA, Uncharted or Last of Us on PS4.

The social features are not really up my street to be honest but they don't bother me either. Whether you like it or not that's the way technology and society is heading and it's a big feature.

Whether you're impressed by the next gen offerings or not is your opinion. The PS3 will be alive and kicking for a good while yet so stick with it if you wish but let others who don't share your opinion enjoy it.

Exactly! ;)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My attitude has nothing to do with HD TVs or camera phones. Yet more silly attempts to draw attention away from your weak argument about what is essentially a PS3.5.

There's no need to replace the hardware just yet. There is little to convince people to part with their PS3s when titles are still being released and the PS4 is not a marked improvement.

If you can remember what PS3 was like when it launched, what we have now with all the changes and developments that have been made through firmware updates we already have PS3.5. This to me is why PS4 doesn't feel quite the leap of past generation and that is because PS3 never stop developing along the way unlike past generation.

If you pull up the XMB in game you will notice the effect of running on the bare minimum spec, its slow and clunky. That whole general feel in now present with most things on the console which is why we need new hardware.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of a console's life is my favourite time as that is when devs know they can make the most money if they come up with something special. Rockstar know this and I expect the end of this year and Q1 2014 to follow suit with some cracking games.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PS4 and XBone may not be cutting edge but they are leaps and bounds ahead of the current gen museum pieces that are being passed by phones. That extra power can be used for more than 1080p and 60fps, they can use it to bring worlds to life. Look at mods for Skyrim and the Fallout games that add large numbers and a greater variety of NPCs/enemies, those mods bring those worlds to life, let you have a small army follow you and make for epic battles, none of that can be done with a 2005 GPU and 512MB of RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    The PS4 and XBone may not be cutting edge but they are leaps and bounds ahead of the current gen museum pieces that are being passed by phones. That extra power can be used for more than 1080p and 60fps, they can use it to bring worlds to life. Look at mods for Skyrim and the Fallout games that add large numbers and a greater variety of NPCs/enemies, those mods bring those worlds to life, let you have a small army follow you and make for epic battles, none of that can be done with a 2005 GPU and 512MB of RAM.

Except they really aren't. Certainly better, that's to be expected, but leaps and bounds? Utter arse gravy I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except they really aren't. Certainly better, that's to be expected, but leaps and bounds? Utter arse gravy I'm afraid.

You really haven't got a clue have you? the biggest limiting factor of this generation is RAM, that problem is now gone, that alone will make a huge difference. You may be happy with dead worlds where things randomly pop in and out, where textures are reused over and over again and where stuff in the distance is so aliased you can barely make out what it is but some of us would like to move on.

It's good for PC gamers as well, we'll no longer have to use brute force to run ports, it's win all round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    You really haven't got a clue have you? the biggest limiting factor of this generation is RAM, that problem is now gone, that alone will make a huge difference. You may be happy with dead worlds where things randomly pop in and out, where textures are reused over and over again and where stuff in the distance is so aliased you can barely make out what it is but some of us would like to move on.

It's good for PC gamers as well, we'll no longer have to use brute force to run ports, it's win all round.

I don't feel the need to grossly exaggerate something to vindicate my desperate consumerism and impatience.

It's because of people like you that we're constantly bombarded with products that have had a little tweak here and there and repackaged as something new and revolutionary.

A fool and his money...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel the need to grossly exaggerate something to vindicate my desperate consumerism and impatience.

It's because of people like you that we're constantly bombarded with products that have had a little tweak here and there and repackaged as something new and revolutionary.

A fool and his money...

Desperate consumerism? I have no intention of buying one for at least a year, maybe two, had you actually read the contents of my posts rather than arguing for the sake of it you'd have noticed I'm a PC gamer, I have no reason to get excited about either of the new machines. I merely pointed out what could done with the additional resources, you replied like a child with "arse gravy", I've read through this thread and only noticed one desperate person, that person being desperate to cling on to his money and the past.

Technology moves on, deal with it.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm another one of these people that doesn't see a massive compelling reason to be excited about the PS4 or indeed the XB1.

When PS3 launched it was indeed revolutionary over the aging PS2 which was itself the most successful games console in history, PS3 gave us a hard drive, internet gaming, Blu-ray movie playback and increased games storage, a multimedia centre for playing video, audio & photos, access to on demand TV and the ability at first to play nearly every game in Playstation history. On top of that were the actual games, which have mostly been graphically brilliant. PS4 has to point out what to most casual gamers are just a few minor drawbacks to justify this whole new console and its dumping of the entire PS3, PS2 and PS1 era! Which seems to be what, lack of 1080p in some cases, lack of draw distance and a restriction in the amount of online players.

Are ordinary people really bothered about the relatively minor improvements the PS4 will bring, they will have to have their hands forced by the release of titles that appeal to them only on PS4! Technology does get better all the time but you'll have a hard time convincing me that there has been a massive leap this time.

The PS3 really was leaps and bounds over the PS2 which went before it in almost every way, can you really truthfully say that about the PS3 to 4, things have been a bit more static, the problem for Sony is that the PS3 is actually too good. GTA V & The Last Of Us have shown what it is capable of and it is still a heck of a lot!

The small drawbacks about the PS3 given it is 7 years old are what they are trying (probably rather desperately) to draw on to convince us all to buy a new console, the PS3 is so good that I don't think on balance a new console is actually needed until about 2016 or 2017.

They are only about to make very incremental improvements at best, they can put in a bigger hard drive but they've already done that, they can make every game run natively in 1080p and at 60fps, they can include a bit more background detail and get in a few more players. It to me feels like it is Playstation 3+ and going with that thought it might have been better if they had decided to build on PS3 and release a new higher powered console that was fully backwards compatible with the PS3 library but provided titles that only had their full features available on the + console.

So PS4 to me feels boring, you get a few new titles but can't play anything else because there is a lack of backwards compatibility, so you'd better really like whatever is coming out and at first it doesn't seem that amazing. Even when a new game comes out that you might want to play such as Uncharted 4 you'll have to get another box to sit alongside your PS3 and possibly PS2 as well just because they won't include the obvious idea of making boxes that will play every Playstation title which they should be doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought 2D was a bit blinkered at times but this is something else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A fool and his money...

I've got an iPhone 4. I don't see there's any value to myself in upgrading to a newer version but I'm not laughing at anyone else's desperate consumerism who wishes to do so. There is value to myself in upgrading to a PS4 though. Once again, you have your opinion, I have mine.

Are ordinary people really bothered about the relatively minor improvements the PS4 will bring, they will have to have their hands forced by the release of titles that appeal to them only on PS4! Technology does get better all the time but you'll have a hard time convincing me that there has been a massive leap this time.

Ordinary people? I'm an ordinary person and I like what I see. Each to their own but I'm not trying to change anyone's view. The technology may not excite some but evolution cannot always be revolutionary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one of these people that doesn't see a massive compelling reason to be excited about the PS4 or indeed the XB1.

When PS3 launched it was indeed revolutionary over the aging PS2 which was itself the most successful games console in history, PS3 gave us a hard drive, internet gaming, Blu-ray movie playback and increased games storage, a multimedia centre for playing video, audio & photos, access to on demand TV and the ability at first to play nearly every game in Playstation history. On top of that were the actual games, which have mostly been graphically brilliant. PS4 has to point out what to most casual gamers are just a few minor drawbacks to justify this whole new console and its dumping of the entire PS3, PS2 and PS1 era! Which seems to be what, lack of 1080p in some cases, lack of draw distance and a restriction in the amount of online players.

The PS3 really was leaps and bounds over the PS2 which went before it in almost every way, can you really truthfully say that about the PS3 to 4, things have been a bit more static, the problem for Sony is that the PS3 is actually too good. GTA V & The Last Of Us have shown what it is capable of and it is still a heck of a lot!

The small drawbacks about the PS3 given it is 7 years old are what they are trying (probably rather desperately) to draw on to convince us all to buy a new console, the PS3 is so good that I don't think on balance a new console is actually needed until about 2016 or 2017.

They are only about to make very incremental improvements at best, they can put in a bigger hard drive but they've already done that, they can make every game run natively in 1080p and at 60fps, they can include a bit more background detail and get in a few more players. It to me feels like it is Playstation 3+ and going with that thought it might have been better if they had decided to build on PS3 and release a new higher powered console that was fully backwards compatible with the PS3 library but provided titles that only had their full features available on the + console.

So PS4 to me feels boring, you get a few new titles but can't play anything else because there is a lack of backwards compatibility, so you'd better really like whatever is coming out and at first it doesn't seem that amazing. Even when a new game comes out that you might want to play such as Uncharted 4 you'll have to get another box to sit alongside your PS3 and possibly PS2 as well just because they won't include the obvious idea of making boxes that will play every Playstation title which they should be doing.

Very well put. Perhaps what the 7th gen consoles offered from the previous gen has skewered my view and expectations of what to expect from the upcoming 8th.

I feel an air of disappointment from a lot of people, here and elsewhere, now that the reality of what the PS4 brings has finally sunk in.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the PS4 launch now so near and the last really big game coming out this week, what is now left in the PS3 era to look forward to?
    I am still hopeful about Thief 4. Although some of the early signs aren't good, it should be the sort of game I like. (I'm a bit bitter about all the effort wasted on GTA-V, when they could have done a good first-person sneaker instead.)
    Although the step from PS3 to PS4 is smaller than the step from PS2 to PS3, it's still a big improvement. For example, we're going from 0.5 to 8 GB of RAM, so that's a 16-fold improvement right there.

Admittedly this may not be reflected in launch games because it takes a while for devs to learn how to exploit the new hardware, and launch games have tight time budgets. Modern games like The Last of Us and Dishonored are vastly improved over launch PS3 games, and we can hope for a similar evolution with the PS4. The quality of those games says more about the skill and experience of the developers than it does about the inherent power of the PS3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money isn't the issue, it's fools like yourself being taking for a ride then expect others not to laugh.

Pro Tip: When starting an argument you should actually have some kind of argument to put forward and secondly you should actually read what other people have said. I've told you I'm in no rush to buy one and I've also said they're not cutting edge. What they are is a massive improvement over the current gen which is well past its sell by date.

A box that plays both PS4 and PS3 games natively would be very expensive, the difference in architecture means you can't run PS3 games on PS4 hardware and the PS4 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the PS3 so you would have to put PS3 hardware in the box along with PS4 hardware. Having yet another box under the tele is a pain in the arse but I don't see any other way around it, the industry is crying out for new hardware and sooner or later Sony and Microsoft are going to have to deliver it.

What I am disappointed to see with screens from next gen games is the overuse of browns and greys again, this generation the reduced colour palette was used to save memory, there's no need for that now yet many of the new games seem suffer from the same thing. I do long for the days when games used to be in colour. :(