Woohoo! I FINALLY got a job after looking for ages

13»

Comments

• joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Well done to everyone!

I am also now employed after 2 and a half years!! Its a great feeling, hubby was over the moon as well!

Well done to you! I bet it feels wonderful doesn't it - you feel in control again don't you? Well I do... I hope it goes well!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Congrats, all the best in your new role. :)
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Thank you November_Rain - good song btw hehe!
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would add to this thread. I got the phonecall today offering me the job!! I start next week :) It only took 11 months of claiming Income Support which isn't too bad going seeing as jobs are so hard to find these days. Hope you had a great first day yesterday OP.
  • bananalogbananalog Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Is it really that hard to get a job in the UK? Jobs are aplenty here. It is just the salaries and bosses here suck ass big time.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe-media wrote: »
    Well done to you! I bet it feels wonderful doesn't it - you feel in control again don't you? Well I do... I hope it goes well!

Mine is for a nursing agency, only turned my availability on yesterday and had 2 shifts already!
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to "the grind" Joe.

Give it a few years and you'll be wishing you were unemployed again :D
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe-media wrote: »
    ... in an IT help desk apprenticeship role within a college.

I can't wait to start on the 12th...

I've been on benefits for too long and on Friday I managed to wave goodbye to the jobcentre+...

Let's roll!

Your post really made me smile:), your enthusiasm is wonderfull and even though I don't know you I find myself really rooting for you!, I hope all goes well, do let us know.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Joe - hope the new job's going well :)

I also started a new job on Monday after a, thankfully, only short period of unemployment. It is great to be back in a routine and earning money again.

And congrats too, to all the others here who are back in work :)
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ya, Nice one Joe, Shantom and Nutty. :D

ooh and congrats Babe, sorry I didn't know :o

So glad this thread was bumped, haven't been in GD a while, so nice to see positive news :)
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Ya, Nice one Joe, Shantom and Nutty. :D

ooh and congrats Babe, sorry I didn't know :o

So glad this thread was bumped, haven't been in GD a while, so nice to see positive news :)

Aaaw it's ok - don't fret 'bout it :p
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Congratulations Joe - hope the new job's going well :)

I also started a new job on Monday after a, thankfully, only short period of unemployment. It is great to be back in a routine and earning money again.

And congrats too, to all the others here who are back in work :)

Congrats BR. It's always good to get back into a routine. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    Congrats to all job-finders!

I was offered a job on Monday after a year unemployed. And I got another offer today! I actually think I'll take the one that pays less, as it interests me more.

At some points, I just felt hopeless. I gave up believing that I would ever be offered a half-decent position. For those who want to work, unemployment makes you feel depressed and worthless.But there are jobs around, even in this economy. You just have to wait a lot longer. Perseverance is key. Never give up!
    Congrats to you too, so pleased for you.
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Theres no better feeling than getting a job ?

I feel a bit sorry for you.
    Your user name suits you.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Nice one.
    That's one up the arse for people who say the unemployed are all lazy and don't want to work and would much rather live on benefits (understandable to the point that more can be made on benefits than the minimum wage)

Whatever job I've done (and I've done a few jobs, and I've been unemployed a few times) I've also had more money working, than being unemployed.

Infact so much so that the unemployment rate was only £65 a week. (I do live with my parents though.) I would love to know how you get more benefits than that.

Congrats to the OP for finding a job. I know having being unemployed yourself what its like to be umemployed, and then to find a job. Somehow your last visit to the jobcentre after you have told them that you are starting work again is a bit smug!

I do hate the perception that those who are unemployed and do not want to find a job. That is true for some people but certainly not for the MAJORITY of unemployed people.

Edit to say I have started a new job myself only 2 months ago. I've settled in really nicely, and already managed to get a £5 reward voucher from the company. The boss is really pleased with me, and within a few weeks I'll be eligable for the companys promotion training programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is for a nursing agency, only turned my availability on yesterday and had 2 shifts already!

You need to change your status in your profile:D

I didn't know you were a nurse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You need to change your status in your profile:D

I didn't know you were a nurse.

I'll get it changed soon :)

No, I'm a carer not a nurse, I've applied in the past to be a nurse but never got in, so going to stick to caring :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I'm a carer not a nurse, I've applied in the past to be a nurse but never got in, so going to stick to caring :)

I know you're young, as have seen your wedding photo, but my mum nursed during the old SEN/SRN system, she'd be classed as a carer too now if she had to reapply for a post, even though she's fully qualified for the 'old' job.

It's a great job Nutty and I'm delighted for you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's great news you have a job. Your hubby must be a happy bunny as well:)

Will you still be able to take your holiday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I know you're young, as have seen your wedding photo, but my mum nursed during the old SEN/SRN system, she'd be classed as a carer too now if she had to reapply for a post, even though she's fully qualified for the 'old' job.

It's a great job Nutty and I'm delighted for you :)

Thanks Joni! My mum is technically an EN as she qualified 30 odd years ago, but they have now done away with even referring to them as such and she is classed as a staff nurse - in care homes though, don't know how it would work in wards.
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's great news you have a job. Your hubby must be a happy bunny as well:)

Will you still be able to take your holiday?

Hubby says he has noticed a change in me already, I seem happier even though I haven't noticed it!

And of course I get my holibags lol. They way it works is, you get 28 days holiday, but they aren't set, and as you choose when you work, all you do is turn your availability off for two weeks or however long and thats it. You recieve holiday pay as part of your hourly rate because its like that.