Options

Looking after a Bedlington for a few weeks, any advice?

SealegSealeg Posts: 449
Forum Member
My sister has had a family emergency and will be away for at least a month.

I said I'd have her Bedlington, she's about ten. I've not had much experience of dogs since I was a kid, is there anything specific I can do to make her feel at home here?

My sister is giving us her blankets and toys, and my gf is pregnant and will be finishing work soon so she won't be alone in the house much.

Any good advice to make sure she has a happy stay?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say try and keep her routine as much as possible so find out when she is walked and fed etc and relax as much as possible as they pick up on it if you are worried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    is she prone to being a stress head? lots of bedlingtons are - it might be worth getting a dap collar - not expensive but can be lifesavers, especially if she is sensing all the stress at home.

as mollie said, routine is key, don't change her food type or anything like that.

Has she been to yours before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    is she prone to being a stress head? lots of bedlingtons are - it might be worth getting a dap collar - not expensive but can be lifesavers, especially if she is sensing all the stress at home.

as mollie said, routine is key, don't change her food type or anything like that.

Has she been to yours before?

She's not especially stressy as far as I know, she does like a lot of attention though, so it's good that my gf will be with her a lot.

She's been to ours before but only for a few hours here and there with my sister. Our neighbours have a yappy Yorkie though, so that might bother her. I think I'm just worrying a bit because she's getting on a bit and I wouldn't want her to get ill or anything:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd get her a dap collar if you can, it can't hurt and if she starts wearing it whilst still at home itll help the transition a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I'd get her a dap collar if you can, it can't hurt and if she starts wearing it whilst still at home itll help the transition a bit.

Just had to google Dap collars, I'd never heard of them! Looks like a good idea though, I'll pick one up in town tomorrow, thanks:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sealeg wrote: »
    Just had to google Dap collars, I'd never heard of them! Looks like a good idea though, I'll pick one up in town tomorrow, thanks:)

Yup,they are great. Make sure you fit it properly, it's not like a normal collar, it's got to be tight and right up by the ears so it's connecting with skin, the instructions will help, but I see so many too loose and they do no good at all!

Good luck with it and pop back in here if your worried about anything.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am wondering now if it's the smell that calms them or the tightness of collar, we used a tight t shirt from tellington touch site for one of our nervous dogs and it calmed him a lot. We were told the act of just being held by it was what was working.