Report: BBC to end contract with Met Office for provision of weather forecasts

14567810»

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check my posts, I just respond to nit-picking of my opinions.

Some on here just "roll over" when their opinions are attacked, I won't.

I know. I was only joshing with ya. :p
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I was only joshing with ya. :p

No problems, I don't take anything I or anyone else posts on this board seriously, unless it's unnecessarily offensive, but for some it seems more like "life and death."
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No problems, I don't take anything I or anyone else posts on this board seriously, unless it's unnecessarily offensive, but for some it seems more like "life and death."

I hear ya. I think we can safely say that there are a lot of OCD sufferers in this country. :D
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're also a lot better mannered lot than some on here.
    "Nit-picking" other people's posts is considered childish.

Pot, kettle, black. You're one of the rudest, most condescending posters on this forum, constantly derailing threads with petty squabbles with other posters.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pot, kettle, black. You're one of the rudest, most condescending posters on this forum, constantly derailing threads with petty squabbles with other posters.

Sorry chum, I just respond when someone nit-picks my opinions, if they stopped doing it, I wouldn't choose to respond. At least I start some positive topics, some confine themselves to criticising others' opinions, but then, everyone should have a hobby, shouldn't they?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, not providing the weather for the BBC leaves a big hole in the Met Office's finances.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, not providing the weather for the BBC leaves a big hole in the Met Office's finances.

Is there VAT on the license fee? That would more than cover the Met shortfall if imposed.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Actually Carl, Thatcher's Government didn't consider the BBC essential in the form it was in back in the early 80's. It went through such a bad period in the early 1980's there were even Government discussions to take control of it. The Charter Period was extended by 5 years in 1981 to give the BBC chance to sort itself out which is why Charters end at the end of each year ending with 6. Thatcher also considered allowing advertising on BBC Radio Stations.
    Yeah. Had forgotten about that. Okay. Will amend future posting to read "most" then :D

As you know, I strive for factual accuracy :)
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member

Is 1% a big hole? That's what it was reported to be worth on our BBC local news tonight, so doesn't sound like it will impact them, the 50 staff working on bbc reports out of 2000 staff will be redeployed so no redundancies
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Giles was on LBC last night and he was suggesting there would have to be redundancies and some of the TV weather people would disappear - but then he has been retired for quite a while.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Bill Giles was on LBC last night and he was suggesting there would have to be redundancies and some of the TV weather people would disappear - but then he has been retired for quite a while.

With numbers of people affected, I would have thought it can easily be taken up without redundancies. Usually there are people glad to take early retirement and they just don't recruit as many people for a year.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    All Governments are influenced by ideology, it is nothing new and surprising. We just have a Government at the moment who have an ideology you don't care for. You are going to be in for five years of misery if you dont start chilling out.

If you mean an ideology that always equates to profit, money being top dog, a race to the bottom and a scant disregard for anyone and anything not in the top circle of influence then I too reject such a society.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise til now that the Met Office isn't part of the MoD anymore.
  • butterflies84butterflies84 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    The original deadline has passed yet the Met Office are still on the BBC?

Anyone know if the switchover date to new provider has changed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just having a look around to is any news of what is happening.

This site possibly has a clue to what it might look like.

Meteogroup are the people with the piece of seaweed and Metraweather are the ones with the piece of chalk and a blackboard.

• skells22skells22 Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we still get the met office weather warnings when needed
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    edited 30/06/17 - 02:15 #243
    Nearly 2 years since this was announced and it still hasn't happened! Since when has "Spring 2017" as later announced included July... as it ain't happening before then!

Wouldn't surprise me if the savings were less than projected, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30/06/17 - 09:07 #244
    It does not say a lot about the new contractor if they are so late taking over the contractor and seemingly unable to give a date yet. I hope there are lots of penalty charges in the contract because it is possible the Met Office might be charging more if they were given a date for when their contract should have ended.

Has the company taken on a bit more than they expected?

• mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    It does not say a lot about the new contractor if they are so late taking over the contractor and seemingly unable to give a date yet. I hope there are lots of penalty charges in the contract because it is possible the Met Office might be charging more if they were given a date for when their contract should have ended.

Has the company taken on a bit more than they expected?

We've no idea. It's possible that some legal processes took longer than expected. Or perhaps the BBC chose to delay the handover because they had work to do at their end to integrate the new service. There can be a range of issues as to why a project deadline is moved - not necessarily of the contractor's making.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 30/06/17 - 09:26 #246
    Matt Taylor recently said "this summer" in response to a Tweet asking when the change would take place.

https://twitter.com/thebriankeen/status/874677574227693568
    https://twitter.com/MetMattTaylor/status/874752087539712000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    We've no idea. It's possible that some legal processes took longer than expected. Or perhaps the BBC chose to delay the handover because they had work to do at their end to integrate the new service. There can be a range of issues as to why a project deadline is moved - not necessarily of the contractor's making.

I think if the BBC was delaying things then the company would be making it very clear that not their fault.