Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah saw this the other day.

I drink 1 can per day but 18 pints per day:eek:

Truely sad indeed feel sorry for her family :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, she sounds the picture of health. How awful for her children, not just losing their mother but to have a mother with such health issues; all caused by a fizzy drink.

Oops forgot she also smoked. Daan-daan-daaaaaaaan...
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a lot of coke. :eek:
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought my 1-2 cans a day phases were bad enough :D
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    That's not a bad suicide method lol! Not too painful.
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All her teeth had been removed because they were rotting, and one of her children was born without tooth enamel.

:eek:
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect 18 pints of water a day would shred your electrolyte balance.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Drinking too much water can kill you too.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »
    :eek:
    How does that even happen :(
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink that much and I'm still here, as for my Mum's PG Tips habit, well. Think there was more wrong with her than just a coke habit.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    How does that even happen :(

Drinking large amounts of cola has been shown to reduce calcium absorption. Probably not too harmful if you only drink a can a day, but at the levels she was drinking...
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can a child be born without enamel? :confused: I didn't think that that would be possible.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I drink that much and I'm still here, as for my Mum's PG Tips habit, well. Think there was more wrong with her than just a coke habit.

What do you drink that much of, coke? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    How can a child be born without enamel? :confused: I didn't think that that would be possible.

I have to admit I googled this and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. According to Wikipedia it's hereditary. I didn't read the whole article though so perhaps it can be caused from coke consumption*.

*assuming one puts their trust in Wikipedia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid person does stupid, unhealthy thing over and over; dies.

What is the story here? This is just a Darwin Award candidate. It even says on the bottle it is recommended in only 200ml quantities per drink as a serving suggestion. To go through 8 pints a day she must have been going through 6 full size bottles a day. As a grown woman with kids, that she failed to realise this would be unhealthy is just utter stupidity. What next, woman tries to touch her brain with icepick, sneezes, dies?

This is nature thinning the herd via natural selection. Just a shame her children must suffer for her stupid actions and may also lack the same sense.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say no.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely drinking 18 pints a day of anything - even water- is dangerous?
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell, that's 4000 calories of sugar per day. I'm surprised she didn't spontaneously combust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Surely drinking 18 pints a day of anything - even water- is dangerous?

More than 5-6 pints a day will kill you, overhydration is just as fatal as dehydration. See Leah Betts as an example.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than 5-6 pints a day will kill you, overhydration is just as fatal as dehydration. See Leah Betts as an example.

She drank 7 liters of water in 90 minutes, not 7 pints of water over the course of a whole day. 18 pints is not advisable even spread out over the whole day, though.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid person does stupid, unhealthy thing over and over; dies.

What is the story here? This is just a Darwin Award candidate. It even says on the bottle it is recommended in only 200ml quantities per drink as a serving suggestion. To go through 8 pints a day she must have been going through 6 full size bottles a day. As a grown woman with kids, that she failed to realise this would be unhealthy is just utter stupidity. What next, woman tries to touch her brain with icepick, sneezes, dies?

This is nature thinning the herd via natural selection. Just a shame her children must suffer for her stupid actions and may also lack the same sense.

How does that work when she's already had children?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leah Betts' death wasn't caused by excessive water consumption alone. Ecstasy has an antidiuretic effect, and that was what prevented her body processing the water she had drunk and led to her death - if she hadn't taken a potent antidiuretic drug, the liquid would have exited her body through the normal route.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »

I would have thought that the sheer volume - two buckets - would be enough to cause problems.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »

She must have been wandering around in a daze.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I've managed 11 pints of the stuff in an evening.

Might have been watered down a bit cause it was the pub stuff rather than out of bottles.

Not surprisingly I didn't sleep for 36 hours.

The things you do at Uni.