Nonce alarms!

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I have nothing to hide at all so wouldn't care if they tracked my every move and when it comes to missing or kidnapped people it would help.

There is nowhere near enough CCTV cameras around given the crimes they have helped to stop or solve and if they wanted to install them in my flat that would be fine by me

Ah the old "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" that has been shown many times, all through history, to be a dangerous belief.

Do you really think, if we move even further into a heavily monitored, massive surveillance state, that sometime down the line that power wont be abused by government?.

We already have anti terror legislation being abused by local authorities and others.

We already crime and justice laws being abused by the state to silence perfectly legal protests, and to often restrict travel for perfectly legal protesters.

We already have copyright laws being abused by big business to silence critics and stifle debate.

And many, many other such laws are routinely abused every day for purposes we were promised they would never be used for.

The very essence of a free and democratic state is that you are, for the most part, free to live your life without state interference subject to staying within the law. If you are a law abiding citizen then why are you happy to be essentially treated like a criminal, with every aspect of your life monitored and controlled by the state?.

How can we lecture other countries on their freedoms, and their human rights, if we as a nation are prepared to sacrifice our own?.

It's not this government, nor the next three or four, that you have to really worry about. It is further down the line. Once we have accepted every aspect of our lives being monitored, our every move being tracked, are you seriously telling me at some stage some government with a more authoritarian stance will not use those powers?. If so, then you have more faith in our governments than I do.

If I ever have children I am not sure I would want them living in a state that stifles dissent, stifles criticism and debate, doesn't allow legitimate protest, restricts travel, controls and monitors who they can associate with and many other things just because they have beliefs and opinions the state deems unacceptable. And if we continue down that route that WILL happen, it always has throughout history in such states that start down that route.
  • brycazbrycaz Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Ah the old "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" that has been shown many times, all through history, to be a dangerous belief.

Do you really think, if we move even further into a heavily monitored, massive surveillance state, that sometime down the line that power wont be abused by government?.

We already have anti terror legislation being abused by local authorities and others.

We already crime and justice laws being abused by the state to silence perfectly legal protests, and to often restrict travel for perfectly legal protesters.

We already have copyright laws being abused by big business to silence critics and stifle debate.

And many, many other such laws are routinely abused every day for purposes we were promised they would never be used for.

The very essence of a free and democratic state is that you are, for the most part, free to live your life without state interference subject to staying within the law. If you are a law abiding citizen then why are you happy to be essentially treated like a criminal, with every aspect of your life monitored and controlled by the state?.

How can we lecture other countries on their freedoms, and their human rights, if we as a nation are prepared to sacrifice our own?.

It's not this government, nor the next three or four, that you have to really worry about. It is further down the line. Once we have accepted every aspect of our lives being monitored, our every move being tracked, are you seriously telling me at some stage some government with a more authoritarian stance will not use those powers?. If so, then you have more faith in our governments than I do.

If I ever have children I am not sure I would want them living in a state that stifles dissent, stifles criticism and debate, doesn't allow legitimate protest, restricts travel, controls and monitors who they can associate with and many other things just because they have beliefs and opinions the state deems unacceptable. And if we continue down that route that WILL happen, it always has throughout history in such states that start down that route.

That's what I wanted to say but you have put it so much better. That's why your the Captain.

James I can see where your coming from. However to think like that is what let dictators take over in countries. North Korea operates like it still.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I ever have children
    I am not sure I would want them living in a state that stifles dissent, stifles criticism and debate, doesn't allow legitimate protest, restricts travel, controls and monitors who they can associate with and many other things just because they have beliefs and opinions the state deems unacceptable. And if we continue down that route that WILL happen, it always has throughout history in such states that start down that route.

If you ever have children, your view of the world will change, and protecting them becomes the most important thing in your life.

As for this scheme, it is voluntary, and has nothing to do with your list of supposed reductions of rights for the poor down trodden citizen.