Rooney isn't world class says Joey Barton

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At what? He doesn't say anything particularly controversial.

Although the idea of Barton lecturing anyone on 'discipline' or cigarettes is fairly amusing.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It kind of depends on your definition of world class, doesn't it?
    Is he in the top 2 or 3 in the world in his position? no. Top 10? Possibly. Probably. So I agree with Barton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a "world class" player?
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney has the ability to be world class but he isn't. As we saw once again on Tuesday he has a habit of his game going missing in big matches. The top players may have the odd bad match but in most big games they will show up where as Rooney has a habit of not being involved in big matches and when he gets the ball he messes up simple passes, his touch gets really heavy and he holds onto the ball too long (The red card for schweinsteiger highlighted this, heavy first touch, the pass was on but kept hold of it and was lucky not to have got a foul rather than losing possession)

As I said he has the ability so it must be a mental thing. If he could sort that out then he could be right up there
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Who cares what Joey Barton thinks about anything other than perhaps bad-boy footballers? It beats me why this non-story is even in the media.

Must be a really really slow sports news day.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    He says Rooney isnt as good as Ronaldo and that Ronaldo has got where he is by his extreme obsessive dedication (which some people have and some dont), who knew eh?

As is the way with the once factual BBC website you have to read past the headline, and in some cases the actual story and just read the quotes themselves to find out the true picture.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney was so good at 17 that people expected him to become one of the best in the world. But at 17 Rooney was already physically ready for the demands of top level football and as a result there wasn't the same room for improvement. He's still had a great career though and he is technically the most gifted player England have.

Considering the talent Joey Barton has and the fact he's currently playing in the Championship I would say it's a bit rich for him to criticise another player for not reaching their potential.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with Joey on this one. Rooney is nearly always disappointing IMO. The tabloids build him up, but he does pretty much nothing of note game after game.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    He says Rooney isnt as good as Ronaldo and that Ronaldo has got where he is by his extreme obsessive dedication (which some people have and some dont), who knew eh?

As is the way with the once factual BBC website you have to read past the headline, and in some cases the actual story and just read the quotes themselves to find out the true picture.

He says Rooney lacks the mentality to become world class so by extension Barton doesn't consider him a world class player. There is nothing misleading about the headline.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's had two stand out seasons, 2009/10 and 2011/12 where he amassed 34 goals, almost Suarez esque then. This year, apart from that, he's goal scoring ratio is usually 1/3 to 1/2, good, but for somebody who gets paid the amount he does, probably a fraction overrated.

I don't think his workrate and other conrtibutions he gives to his team are appreciated enough though. I think United would certainly miss him if he left.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Have to agree with Joey on this one. Rooney is nearly always disappointing IMO. The tabloids build him up, but he does pretty much nothing of note game after game.

Game after game, really?

Whether he's world class or not is debatable, but 'nearly always disappointing'? Sorry, not having that at all.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Joey Barton is right that Rooney is not in the same league as the likes of Ronaldo and Messi and he is probably right about the Cigarette thing, so what he says is not that far of the mark. Could Rooney of done better and become a truly world class player, possibly, but maybe it is the same old story of the British Press building up a player to stupid heights and then pulling him to pieces when he doesn't get there, who knows.

Rooney may not be in the top 2 or 3 players in the world but he has hardly had a poor career and he is still some player as by the age of 28, he has scored 214 Goals for Manchester United making him the club's 3rd all time leading scorer and he has scored 38 goals(12 Short of Sir Bobby Charlton goal scoring record for England) in 89 Caps for England(Giving him a great chance of beating Peter Shilton's record of 125 Caps for England) to go alongside that he has won 5 League titles, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions League title from 3 Finals and 1 World Club Cup as well as winning 2 PFA Young Player of the year Awards, 1 PFA Player of the Year award and 1 FWA Player of the year award. Not a bad return at all and certainly a hell of a lot better than anything Joey Barton will ever achieve in the game as a player.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    simonl87 wrote: »
    He says Rooney lacks the mentality to become world class so by extension Barton doesn't consider him a world class player. There is nothing misleading about the headline.

The quotes arent really an attack on Rooney though. The only reason this is making news is because it is being spun that way.

To say that Ronaldo is more deserving of the World Class label is not news Just about anyone who has even a passing interest in football would agree with that. Its an utter non-story.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Rooney isn't world class (Compared to Ronaldo")

Clickbait headlines shouldn't exist on a BBC website.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard anyone say that Rooney was in the same class as Ronaldo or Messi ?
    Besides, who in their right mind cares what Joey Barton thinks ? Carlton Palmer has six times as many England caps as sleezebag Barton.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well something I agree on Joey with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a lot of "agreement" with Joey, but no definition of what makes a "world class" player.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember back in 2009 when Man Utd reached the CL final and pundits were claiming Rooney was on the same level as Messi.

Now that was funny!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    I see a lot of "agreement" with Joey, but no definition of what makes a "world class" player.

I don't think there is a definition. If you confine it to a world eleven, picked by position, it obviously leaves out too many quality players. Best 20 players in the world regardless of position ?..or the best 30, 40, 50 ? I think you can just make up what suits you. :)
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    I remember back in 2009 when Man Utd reached the CL final and pundits were claiming Rooney was on the same level as Messi.

Now that was funny!!!

I don't remember that.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I don't remember that.

Me neither.

It's almost like that's been completely fabricated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now that was funny!!!

Not even Suarez is close to Messi. The only player that is, is Ronaldo.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "When you see Rooney smoking cigarettes," Barton continued, "is he doing everything he can to be the best player in the world? The gulf is getting wider but if it was on talent alone, Rooney is a better player than him."

Barton honestly believes on talent alone Rooney is more talented than Ronaldo?
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »

Mainly because there is no universial definition.

For me only two players fall into "world class" footballers.

As soon as we see a great player its almost deemed a insult if we just call him "great or fantastic" we seem to have to take it to the extreme and call them world class.

Rooney is a fantastic player and would be my pick as to who Chelsea buy at the end of season and would IMO win us the title (even think if we bought him in the last window he would have won it for us between then and end of season) but I would not call him world class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barton honestly believes on talent alone Rooney is more talented than Ronaldo?

Well. If he's that good chain smoking 100 a day, imagine what he'd be like if he gave it up ! :D