Options

Series 8 - All Episode Titles Confirmed By BBC

Comments

• Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sometimes change the title before it airs, viz River's Run to Forest of the Dead.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'In The Forest of The Night' really is a gorgeous title for an episode. I'm picturing something visually stunning, I hope it delivers.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    'In The Forest of The Night' really is a gorgeous title for an episode. I'm picturing something visually stunning, I hope it delivers.

Unless it involves the Doctor facing off against the evil Tombliboos, I'm going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    BadWolfOneBadWolfOne Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Only 12 episodes as opposed to 13 for a full length series?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadWolfOne wrote: »
    Only 12 episodes as opposed to 13 for a full length series?

Deep Breath is 75 minutes long, effectively a double episode.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it involves the Doctor facing off against the evil Tombliboos, I'm going to be disappointed.

:D:D
    I'd pay good money to see that!
    How about a Children In Need episode set In The Night Garden?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Deep Breath is 75 minutes long, effectively a double episode.

It's actually 80 mins or so, 19:50 - 21:10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The leak is just under 76 minutes long, it's not got proper titles, a next time and is missing some cgi heavy shots.

The cinema version is 97 minutes 35 seconds, featuring as it does 'an introduction and 'behind the scenes' extras'
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The leak is just under 76 minutes long, it's not got proper titles, a next time and is missing some cgi heavy shots.
    Yes .... the finished, full broadcast version is closer to 80 mins (the broadcast slot length) as I posted.
  • Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Tyger! Tyger! burning bright ...

I picked up on that too. It's an exciting choice for an episode title! Here's hoping the title is being literal - if it's just a case of the poem being read out at some point during the episode, I will be very disappointed.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I picked up on that too. It's an exciting choice for an episode title! Here's hoping the title is being literal - if it's just a case of the poem being read out at some point during the episode, I will be very disappointed.

Episode 10 filming description for those curious:
    London is now an overgrown forest...
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    The Caretaker is obvious to anybody who happened to catch a few days of location filming :p It does what it says on the tin...

Remembrance of the Daleks beat The Caretaker by 26 years.

If you know what I mean ;)
    Doctor, eh? You're a little over-qualified for the position, but if you would like to leave your particulars and references...
  • Options
    sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the Doctor call himself the Caretaker in that Christmas special with Bill Bailey and the trees that I've tried to wipe from my memory?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Didn't the Doctor call himself the Caretaker in that Christmas special with Bill Bailey and the trees that I've tried to wipe from my memory?

"I'm the Doctor, or the Caretaker, or get off this planet..."
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I love In The Forest Of The Night as a title.

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
    In the forests of the night:

~ William Blake (1794)
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Nicked me idea, in other words. :o ;-)

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright ...

Ah - you beat me to it!

It would be great to see the Doctor meeting William Blake though ....
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robot of Sherwood; Mummy on the Orient Express....Does anyone else cringe & groan at those punning titles that hark back to another piece of fiction?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not wanting to sound too reticent but the Gatiss episode sounds Pants!!

Not much confidence in his writing ability for DW Im afraid.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Moffat co-credits are very strange. I presume he must have heavily rewritten those scripts but it's not the usual practice to get a co-credit in that situation. It's still normally credited solely to the principle author and he has never taken a co-credit before. It makes me wonder if there are disparate parts of those episodes: ie perhaps an ongoing sub-plot or something written entirely by Moffat and broken up and inserted into those episodes.

Some seem to realize and others seem not to that 'In the Forest of the Night' is from a famous William Blake poem:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/172943
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    The Moffat co-credits are very strange. I presume he must have heavily rewritten those scripts but it's not the usual practice to get a co-credit in that situation. It's still normally credited solely to the principle author. It makes me wonder if there are disparate parts of those episodes: ie perhaps an ongoing sub-plot or something written entirely by Moffat and broken up and inserted into those episodes.

Some seem to realize and others seem not to that 'In the Forest of the Night' is from a famous William Blake poem:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/172943

RTD, as mentioned said in the Writer's Tale it was in his contract that any script he worked on- which was almost all of them in series 1-4- had to go out as written by him as well as the other writer if RTD wanted, which he didn't in most cases.

Presumably Moffat had input to most of the series 5-7 scripts anyway, I'm not sure the fact he's now credited makes a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD, as mentioned said in the Writer's Tale it was in his contract that any script he worked on- which was almost all of them in series 1-4- had to go out as written by him as well as the other writer if RTD wanted, which he didn't in most cases.

Presumably Moffat had input to most of the series 5-7 scripts anyway, I'm not sure the fact he's now credited makes a difference.

That's why I find it strange. Like RTD, he's almost certainly had input into all the scripts before now. Why is he suddenly taking co-writer credits when he hasn't in the past?

One explicitly mentioned past example I can think of is 'The Lodger'. I remember an interview (or perhaps it was a commentary) with Gareth Roberts where he mentioned that the twist of the top floor of the house being a TARDIS-like craft was Moffat's idea.

I've always strongly believe that 'Amy's Choice' was ghost-written in large parts by Moffat. I've no evidence but it was strongly Moffat in style, was a very important character episode and was written by a writer new to the series who has never been asked back since, which is strange given it was such an acclaimed episode.

Neil Gaiman has also given Moffat a lot of credit for 'The Doctor's Wife', saying 'he made it what it was', which is partly graciousness of course, but he wouldn't say it if Moffat contributed nothing to the script.

This is purely speculation and I'm genuinely asking the question as I don't know the answer: is the onscreen writing credit necessarily the same as the writing credit in the BBC's official documentation? Ie. could co-writers both be paid the fee for an episode but only one be credited onscreen if they both wished it to be the case? I would have to assume they could be. In fact, I remember Neil Gaiman commenting that Steven Moffat was erroneously credited as the writer of the short episode 'Planet of the Rain Gods' on the Season 6 (I think) DVD but he didn't mind as it was a genuine mistake and he was still paid as the author.

I wonder if Moffat is credited as co-writer in terms of receiving writer's fees but was not supposed to have an on-screen credit and the BBC has made a mistake on the announced titles? Again, that is total speculation. We'll see what it says when the episodes are broadcast.

Maybe he really has just had much larger input on three scripts than he ever has previously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a quick flick through the script of Time Heist, and it is a bit wibbley wobbley timey wimey; not really a surprise Moffat was involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a quick flick through the script of Time Heist, and it is a bit wibbley wobbley timey wimey; not really a surprise Moffat was involved.

It's amusing if he has co-written it because in the last Doctor Who magazine, previewing this episode, he was talking about what a genius Steven Thompson is and how inadequate he is in comparison :p

I don't think it's a bad thing if he's been more strongly involved in the episodes than previously. Actually, I think they need this series to be very tight and they can't afford weak scripts after the lukewarm reception of a lot of last season.
  • Options
    JazzSP8JazzSP8 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Sorry, bit a lurker here - So, might have been mentioned...

Wasn't this mentioned by Matt Smith in one of his early episodes? Is it related?
  • Options
    JazzSP8JazzSP8 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    JazzSP8 wrote: »
    Sorry, bit a lurker here - So, might have been mentioned...

Wasn't this mentioned by Matt Smith in one of his early episodes? Is it related?

Answered my own question with a bit more lurking...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1284913

Uhm. Back to lurkdom. :)