Is Star Treks Utopian Vision Of The Future Possible?

Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the death of Leonard Nimoy yesterday. I would like to pose the question that I have asked myself from time to time, is the utopian vision of future laid out in Star Trek possible?

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have liked to think so from a child.

Even in the Trek Universe we have to go through terrible wars, including a eugenics one to get to that point though.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We come in peace (shoot to kill, shoot to kill)
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Generation felt very utopian. The original series felt a bit grubbier, somehow.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The science in Star Trek is pretty woeful. It's part of the reason I always hated it.

Red Dwarf has good science in it compared to Star Trek and that's a comedy :p
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the future is as dull as Deep S*** Nine, I'd rather be a chimney sweep
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The crucial element of the Star Trek universe is their ability to create matter from energy, because that then, on Earth anyway, seemed to eliminate the covetous nature of man. There is no hunger, and nobody wants for anything because they can just replicate it. That means they were able to focus their energies on expanding their knowledge of the universe. Nice thought really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I think the closest we will get it is the call to prayer sounding a bit like the opening theme tune and Uhura being stoned to death.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We come in peace (shoot to kill, shoot to kill)

:D He He!.I still laugh at Jonathan Ross's joke.When he was on his show.Shatner had been doing adverts for Kellogs All Bran at the time.
    Ross asked him abut his bowel motions.Mentioning the' Captains Log'.:D
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Gene Roddenberry's utopian future was screwed up in Deep Space Nine and again in Enterprise.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

It's a fantasy. A nice fantasy, but an unrealistic one.

I love the show, but it was borne out of the idealism of the sixties, and time has proved that human nature is much more complex, and such radical changes do not come easy.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    The science in Star Trek is pretty woeful. It's part of the reason I always hated it.

Red Dwarf has good science in it compared to Star Trek and that's a comedy :p

Star Trek had scientific advisers on the production staff to insure any technology and scientific concepts were is as accurate as possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Bormanis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Okuda
    solarflare wrote: »
    Next Generation felt very utopian. The original series felt a bit grubbier, somehow.

By the standards of 1960's TV production values the original series looks quite utopian to me.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's very possible and highly likely.

It's difficult to imagine in a way, as we're so socially backwards as a species and not quite as advanced as we think we are.

I'd say something approximating it will be along within the next 500 years or so, predicated on the present system we have being completely unsustainable.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Star Trek had scientific advisers on the production staff to insure any technology and scientific concepts were is as accurate as possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Bormanis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Okuda

By the standards of 1960's TV production values the original series looks quite utopian to me.

Ah, that's me sold then :p

I like that they can travel at 10x light speed and have 'g-dampers' that manage to restrain the ridiculous g-forces, but they still get knocked off their feet :D

You know, even at 10x the speed of light, you wouldn't be going anywhere fast in galaxy terms. It'd take you several months just to get to the nearest star :p
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    No, not really. It's one of those dream worlds that is nice and warm to imagine back doesn't take much examination before it all falls apart as it would in real life.

For a start some people if not most people are selfish and want everything for themselves or at least more than the other person and so the flat across the board level playing field just wouldn't last long. Even on the Enterprise you still have to have the 'clean out the bogs' jobs whilst the officers enjoy many more privileges. So resentment would still exist. It doesn't matter if you take money away, you still have to replace it with reward and as sure as eggs are eggs the officers would get more rewards than the bog cleaners.

Then we get the holodecks where you can have any fantasy you want: the people you want in the place you want doing whatever you want - who the ferk would ever leave?

So no. Nice dreamlike idea back that isn't human nature or how the world works or ever will.

LLAP.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The crucial element of the Star Trek universe is their ability to create matter from energy, because that then, on Earth anyway, seemed to eliminate the covetous nature of man. There is no hunger, and nobody wants for anything because they can just replicate it. That means they were able to focus their energies on expanding their knowledge of the universe. Nice thought really.

But they have replicator RATIONS! Bet the officers get more RATIONS and so more nice things.

So just the same as money but they call them replicator rations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they have replicator RATIONS! Bet the officers get more RATIONS and so more nice things.

So just the same as money but they call them replicator rations.

The only time replicator rations were used extensively was in Star Trek Voyager, and that was because they were 70,000 light years away form home. Therefore, having to conserve resource.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it ever is possible I hope that the plastic surgery of the far future is not quite as bad as it is portrayed here.

Some of them look like bloody potatoes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    As much as I would love it, human nature dictates that no it won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    As much as I would love it, human nature dictates that no it won't.

Doesn't that pretty much depend on if you view the human condition as selfish or selfless?
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would have to happen the same way.

The destruction of this world, for a new one to begin. WW3. 2026.

Money would have to be eliminated also.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Key element that would be required, a new superior form of energy and pulposion. Even our best nuclear power wouldn't come close to star treks energy source and warp drive. We can't even do the artificial gravity yet.