Who is the most ruined soap character?

124»

Comments

• Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the character can be saved, but he needs to get away from Debbie, and this is not an anti-Debbie rant, those two have no chemistry and the relationship has brought out the worst in both of them, but has really dragged Ross down. IDK what Kate Oates is thinking with this pairing, its the biggest mistake she's made at Emmerdale.

No, rant away! Any anti-Debbie rant is more than justified. (and any plot brings out the worst in that surly character):D

Agree with the rest of your post, by the way!
  • EE.LiveEE.Live Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that she is beyond repair but Nancy from EastEnders has been ruined in my opinion. I loved her relationship with Johnny when she was such a laid back character who I felt was very natural. Ever since she 'poked her nose into other people's business' I have been put off her a bit (she still knows about Stacey+Kush) but luckily in recent episodes she does have a few good lines and the humour which I missed from her :)
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, rant away! Any anti-Debbie rant is more than justified. (and any plot brings out the worst in that surly character):D

Agree with the rest of your post, by the way!

LOL I think all that needs to be said about Debbie has been said. Plus the more we talk about her the more Kate Oates will think we want to see Resting Bitch Face.
  • Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ste Hay (not that he was likeable in the first place) but because of Brendan/Stendan he was ok. But then Birkwood came along and not only did he ruin Brendan's exit he has continued to piss all over Stendan.
    Why would Ste marry a guy he hated, John Paul. Why would he think about Doug when he thought he was about to die. Why would he marry his new best friend, Sinead. They might as well drag Cheryl the evil bitch Brady back and he propose to her!
    I'll never feel any differently about you. I love you forever.
    Ste loves Brendan and Brendan loves Ste. End of.
  • CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ste Hay (not that he was likeable in the first place) but because of Brendan/Stendan he was ok. But then Birkwood came along and not only did he ruin Brendan's exit he has continued to piss all over Stendan.
    Why would Ste marry a guy he hated, John Paul. Why would he think about Doug when he thought he was about to die. Why would he marry his new best friend, Sinead. They might as well drag Cheryl the evil bitch Brady back and he propose to her!
    I'll never feel any differently about you. I love you forever.
    Ste loves Brendan and Brendan loves Ste. End of.

Seems that's happened to both supercouples under Kirkwood. Ruined Stendan and ruined McDean - since JP came back, things were said about Craig which didn't ring true to the character. Further to that, JP is a totally different guy who sleeps around with anything that shows the slightest bit of interest.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Moira Dingle :(

I still like her because Natalie Robb is amazing, but when she first arrived in the show, she was so lovely and friendly and bubbly, but with a feisty edge. Nowadays she's snappy and pretty miserable most of the time. I hope they give her and Cain some happier, nicer times after all the misery.

Agreed BollyKnickers! What a brilliant name ;-) Moira has completely changed along with her hair which thankfully has grown a bit since that awful, ugly haircut. She used to be so sexy and now she's a frump who can't be bothered to dress up for her husband any more. I don't think she ever changes out of her overalls, she probably sleeps in them. She also nags.

Gail on Coronation Street has changed almost entirely. She has become this simpering, wittering, face pulling simpleton. After everything she's been through over the years TPTB pair her up with her BURGLAR! As if! Not only that but "criminal / burglar" Michael is just so ridiculous. The whole storyline is ridiculous and Gail is unrecognisable personality wise.

Nancy in Eastenders changed from a fun, feisty streetwise girl into a bore who just hangs around her parents' pub. I do like her scenes with Tamwar sometimes.
  • The_AxemanThe_Axeman Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxy Mitchell - I liked when she arrived and when she was with Shaun but since then she's not progressed as a character especially putting her with dean
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% Nancy from Hollyoaks. She's gone from my absolute favourite and an essential character to a self important, irritating know-it-all.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that Sonia Fowler has been ruined, but let's face it she's always been an irritating, judgmental cow.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    Cindy, Nancy & Tom on Hollyoaks. Long standing, respected characters and Birkwood has destroyed all three.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Cindy, Nancy & Tom on Hollyoaks. Long standing, respected characters and Birkwood has destroyed all three.

Agreed, and its a crying shame, as all 3 can actually act, and have a long standing history and connection to the show. It's disgusting really.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

Cindy has been turned into a joke. The way her bi polar episode was recently written was disgusting. I hated the way she went after Jason and acted like the "girlfriend's mum from hell". I really don't think mental illness should be treated like comedy. >:(
  • SumnerSumner Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Max Branning. I thought he was the true star of the Santer era but a character who was once very nuanced, interesting and dynamic has become tired, predictable and pathetic. He was the best character EastEnders created in the last 10 years but I won't miss him on his break.
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Who Killed Lucy reveal ruined Jane and Ian Beale.

I think that Jane protecting Bobby is completely in line with her previous characterisation, but dumping Lucy's body? No.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone has mentioned Sophie Webster. Ever since she turned lesbian, she has become quite pathetic and very shallow. The same goes for all her girlfriends. It's so obvious that they were all lesbian to make themselves more interesting but it hasn't worked in the least.

Cindy from Eastenders could have been a good character, but she was given loads of poor plots. Fix up or get gone. I know she's not in it at the moment but she could still make a comeback just like Shirley Carter, who used to be good but a little boring now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I would say that Sonia Fowler has been ruined, but let's face it she's always been an irritating, judgmental cow.

I heard Natalie Cassidy left last time because her on screen lesbian relationship with Naomi didn't feel right for her. So what is she doing now?
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Natalie Cassidy left last time because her on screen lesbian relationship with Naomi didn't feel right for her. So what is she doing now?

Money. :D Yeah she didn't feel it went with Sonia as a character, realizes her talent is limited and can't get work she is now happy to play a lesbian.
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    For me it's Carla Connor. She's used to be tough and feisty but all she seems to do is mope and drink. I liked her, but it's almost become a chore to watch any scenes she's in.

But I agree with others that Max Branning on EE and Sophie on CS have changed for the worst too. And Shirley on EE. She's so bitter and nasty now and I hate the way she thinks she can just walk all over people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A ruined soap character is basically when a character starts off great, becomes really popular with the audience, but then is slowly destroyed terrible storylines and/or writing, to the point where they are beyond repair.

Which soap character is the most ruined in your opinion?

For me it has to be Dean wicks was so unnecessary to make him a rapist hate the storyline
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never liked Nancy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B*witched wrote: »
    For me it's Carla Connor. She's used to be tough and feisty but all she seems to do is mope and drink. I liked her, but it's almost become a chore to watch any scenes she's in.

But I agree with others that Max Branning on EE and Sophie on CS have changed for the worst too. And Shirley on EE. She's so bitter and nasty now and I hate the way she thinks she can just walk all over people.

I hate it when characters keep coming and going all the time. Shirley Carter and Liz McDonald are the worst culprits. Stay in or go away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Dean wicks was so unnecessary to make him a rapist hate the storyline

I agree, he committed a crime and got away with it too, how does that make good viewing?
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Moira Barton to an extent
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly ruined as such but April in Emmerdale has lost a lot of fans due to being over-twee and over-used.