Options

Technology That You Cannot Wait To Be Invented?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    OK, I will start. Wireless power, instead of having a house (or any premises) having lots of power sockets, instead you/we have a wireless power generator that transmits power to all electrical devices within range. This would be beneficial because, you/we would not have to hunt out for spare sockets, and there would be less wires.

Wasn't that Tesla's big idea? I think the problem comes where things start picking up power when you don't want them to - electrified fillings and turbo-charged pacemaker anyone?:o

I'm looking forward to self-driving cars as I'm not a keen driver - I'd rather be in the back having a kip, thanks!

Nobody asked for SexBots yet? I can't be the only perv online at the moment, can I?:kitty:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Nobody asked for SexBots yet? I can't be the only perv online at the moment, can I?:kitty:
    I thought the Japanese had already invented them?
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    electrical appliances you control with the power of your mind
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cold fusion and room-temp. superconductors would be a good start.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought the Japanese had already invented them?

I mean proper ones, like they had in Westworld. We'll gloss over the fact they all went mad and killed everyone though:blush:
  • Options
    MoFoHoMoFoHo Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    There isn't a wireless HDMI standard because wireless and HDMI are two separate things.

Incidentally, there have been products around for at least the last 5 years that can transmit HDMI signals wirelessly. Early versions were either very expensive, or limited in range or displayed heavy compression artefacts. Things have got better of late, but wired HDMI is still king.

Here's a YT vid on a solution for £150: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROX-r_kHPks

Thanks for the reply (and the other poster too) :-)
    I know that there are a few wireless HDMI solutions out there. Heck, my projector uses a wireless HDMI link, it just would be really nice, if say, configuring a complicated AV amplifier, that it 'looked' for nearby HDMI devices and you could select them as inputs. In essence then, an industry wide, manufacturer supported standard. If it CAN be done, it's a shame the technology didn't get licensed out to the industry as a whole.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    MoFoHo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply (and the other poster too) :-)
    I know that there are a few wireless HDMI solutions out there. Heck, my projector uses a wireless HDMI link, it just would be really nice, if say, configuring a complicated AV amplifier, that it 'looked' for nearby HDMI devices and you could select them as inputs. In essence then, an industry wide, manufacturer supported standard. If it CAN be done, it's a shame the technology didn't get licensed out to the industry as a whole.

Not quite the same, but at work we have 65" panels on the meeting room walls. If you want to connect your laptop to do a presentation, you can either use the HDMI cable on the desk, or plug in a dongle to your USB port ( http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/ClickShare-wireless-button.aspx) and press the button on it to relay your desktop to the screen.
  • Options
    MoFoHoMoFoHo Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Not quite the same, but at work we have 65" panels on the meeting room walls. If you want to connect your laptop to do a presentation, you can either use the HDMI cable on the desk, or plug in a dongle to your USB port ( http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/ClickShare-wireless-button.aspx) and press the button on it to relay your desktop to the screen.

Clever! I guess the dongle must have some software that mirrors the desktop?
    The reason I mentioned HDMI, is because it's obviously now a worldwide AV standard, passing high definition video AND audio. It just would be nice to be rid of the cables. Many AV buffs, myself included, just hate those HDMI cables. They're unwieldy, the connections can be fragile. Just seems a shame that it (wireless) never got standardised somehow...
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Electricity storage units.

Palm sized tele transporters too.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Palm sized tele transporters too.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/powerwall
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    OK, I will start. Wireless power, instead of having a house (or any premises) having lots of power sockets, instead you/we have a wireless power generator that transmits power to all electrical devices within range. This would be beneficial because, you/we would not have to hunt out for spare sockets, and there would be less wires.

http://witricity.com/

I predict a future industry of copper reclamation from thousands of homes and businesses that no longer need the wiring.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »

Well there we go then, no more crap about wind and solar farms not being able to store what they produce.

Cheers for that.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    MoFoHo wrote: »
    Clever! I guess the dongle must have some software that mirrors the desktop?

Yes, there's an application on the dongle that you run. Takes a couple of seconds the first time, then anyone in the room can take control of the screen by pressing their button.
  • Options
    afghan_goolieafghan_goolie Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    A female mute button :D
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housefly buzzing silencer
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    The internet being perfect.

Spaceships, like in Star Wars :p

No, no, no. Ships like in Star TREK, or maybe a TARDIS like Doctor Who.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    self posting parcel. Program it via usb, shove it out through front door, and off it trundles down the street, looking for a cheap courier .....
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    self posting parcel. Program it via usb, shove it out through front door, and off it trundles down the street, looking for a cheap courier .....

That's pretty much how they want drones to work one day.

You leave the package on your own doorstep a drone picks it up and takes it to whoever you want to deliver it to.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personal mode of transport. If you think about the plane was the last mode of transport we invented that was any real use. That was in 1903 we must be over due a new mode of transport by now.

I was thinking something like the c5 or the segway a personal mode of transport that could be used. no idea what it could be of course hoover board maybe who knows. It was a pity the hoover craft died out that would have been a cool way to get about. Also very useful if the seas's rise.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Instant transportation of people. I want to go to places but the cost puts me off.

Why do you think that a new technology like a transporter would cost less than many times the cost of first class travel?
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Holodecks and the food replicator. So long as they are powered, why would anyone ever leave? Or would it end up like the matrix in which people can't be happy with being happy, so suffering had to be introduced?
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I was thinking something like the c5 or the segway a personal mode of transport that could be used. no idea what it could be of course hoover board maybe who knows. It was a pity the hoover craft died out that would have been a cool way to get about. Also very useful if the seas's rise.
    I think hoover boards and hoover craft are the last thing you want as a mode of transport. They both really suck...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cold fusion and room-temp. superconductors would be a good start.

A house version of a room temperature cold fusion reactor connected to a generator would be handy. Limitless free electricity. All fuel bills would be a thing of the past.

You could have your house like a greenhouse in the winter and an icebox in the summer (should summer ever happen)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    If everyone had their own personal trasporter wonder how things like passports would work would they be a thing of the past if anyone could go anywhere they wanted at the touch of a button.

I mean if I was just sat here and pressed a button and a few seconds later I was on a beach in Miami I wouldn't need a passport.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They are called batteries! :D