The Tennis Thread (Part 29)

Mark FMark F Posts: 53,763
Forum Member
Continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 28)

Will we play James Ward and then the Murrays for the doubles?

Lewis Hamilton got kicked out for abusing the dress code!

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Will we play James Ward and then the Murrays for the doubles?

Lewis Hamilton got kicked out for abusing the dress code!

France will be tough to beat - With Simon, Gasquet and Tsonga. Murray will have to work hard to win his two singles - so asking him to partner his brother rather than Inglot may be too much. I think even Davis cup Ward will struggle to beat Simon or Gasquet - so Murray and the doubles is our only route to victory. If we do win though it could be the Aussies at home in September or the Kazakhs.

Saw about Hamilton - good to see Wimbledon don't drop their standards for celebs. You cannot sit in the Royal Box wearing jeans, a tv shirt and a baseball cap - unless you are the Duke of Kent.:D

I should know - I got resale seats right behind the royal box yesterday. Tracey Austin was looking very smart in her purple dress - she has the sort of class Lewis Hamilton cannot buy. She brought her son as her guest - a nice touch. Most of the other ex women champs bar Ann Jones had female guests.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    So glad serena and novak are the champions. Warriors. Suck it crowd.

Yeah . Fitness and brute strength rule !

To hell with flair and technique :)
    Forum Member
    Wow - a new post Wimbledon thread.:D
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of whether Andy Roddick will be back next year .... I really hope he will come back & I'm sure the bbc will want him to I'm just not sure he will as by then he'll have a young baby & remember he postponed coming over due to Brooklyn being pregnant this year! I'll be a shame if he doesn't come back though as I loved everything he did this year 😍👍
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    Couple of gems that I laughed at from Andy Roddick today.......

"John McEnroe, when he's anywhere around Rod Laver it's like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert"

Andrew Castle: "Did you play Novak when he was gluten free?"
    A Rod: "Unfortunately for Novak, when I played him he was full of gluten".
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    On the subject of whether Andy Roddick will be back next year .... I really hope he will come back & I'm sure the bbc will want him to I'm just not sure he will as by then he'll have a young baby & remember he postponed coming over due to Brooklyn being pregnant this year! I'll be a shame if he doesn't come back though as I loved everything he did this year 😍👍

When Sue asked him if he had enjoyed his commentary stint he said that Wimbledon was the best, :cool: Sue was the best, :) and Tim was now his BFF. :D

He'll be back!! I hope.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member
    A rather timely thread split. :)
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Novak.

Amazing that is Stan hadn't played godly in Paris we may have had the most predictable year in GS tennis.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Andy Roddick is back next year, I don't think we will see Claire Balding back though although I fear we are stuck with Gary Richardson, Andrew Castle and John Inverdale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I hope Andy Roddick is back next year, I don't think we will see Claire Balding back though although I fear we are stuck with Gary Richardson, Andrew Castle and John Inverdale.

Could see Invers disappearing from the Beeb soon, Rugger is his first love, if he gets a big deal from ITV to front there 6 nation coverage I can see it happening.

Richardson I will never understand being allowed back though.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd love to know what dirt those 3 have over the BBC ... It's the only explanation as to why they are back every year despite being the worst reporter/pundit/commentators EVER 😡😡
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going by the general reaction I'm pretty certain we'll see Andy back next year. Don't think I've read a negative comment anywhere
    Forum Member
    Going by the general reaction I'm pretty certain we'll see Andy back next year. Don't think I've read a negative comment anywhere

It's up to him really - if he wants to come back I am sure they will have him back.

Am sure Balding will be back to - sticking with the old Today at Wimbledon format they brought back in week 2.:D
    Forum Member
    Could see Invers disappearing from the Beeb soon, Rugger is his first love, if he gets a big deal from ITV to front there 6 nation coverage I can see it happening.

Richardson I will never understand being allowed back though.

Balding works for Channel 4 and BT and Inverdale already does the French open tennis for ITV. They are both freelance - so can multi channel. Doing the six nations in Feb and March wouldn't stop him doing Wimbledon for the BBC.

Even Andrew Castle does work for the opposition - you cannot live off two weeks of paid work a year.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghhhhh Nole reaffirms once again why he's my favorite and why I love him so much :kitty::kitty:. Loved, loved. ... what he said about Serena today, what a lovely guy :).

I hope someone films the video of their winner dance tonight :D and makes it available for all of us :p:D:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Balding works for Channel 4 and BT and Inverdale already does the French open tennis for ITV. They are both freelance - so can multi channel. Doing the six nations in Feb and March wouldn't stop him doing Wimbledon for the BBC.

Even Andrew Castle does work for the opposition - you cannot live off two weeks of paid work a year.

I just think he may not accept just a commentary gig if he can find himself doing anchor work elsewhere. It's a demotion whatever way they want to spin it.
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well done to novak really happy for him now on to the daviS cup COME ON GB
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do the BBC see in Gary Richardson - his interview questions and style are so corny.
    Forum Member
    I just think he may not accept just a commentary gig if he can find himself doing anchor work elsewhere. It's a demotion whatever way they want to spin it.

I wouldn't sever ties with the BBC - ITV come and go with events whereas the BBC wil always have Wimbledon and the grass court season.

There are 52 weeks of potential work - and his expert sports are seasonal.
    Forum Member
    dazc wrote: »
    well done to novak really happy for him now on to the daviS cup COME ON GB

Yes - can't wait. Should be a close match.

Still don't understand why it's only on the red button on day 1 - they are showing it on BBC2 on the Sat and Sunday with the open golf on BBC1. Escape to the country and Flog it wouldn't be missed would they for one day?!:D

If GB win they could face Kazakhstan possibly away in mid Sept - how would the BBC deal with that?

PS Congrats to GBs Aljaz Bedene - ATP Todi champion for 2015. He is great on clay so it would be good to have him available for Davis Cup. Although not sure if the rules will allow that.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by amelia_lee
    Thanks, I'm all good, not as bad a loss as last year as from the off I knew Roger didn't have his game and it can be pretty bad when it's so far off.

I forgot earlier when I said congrats to Novak to say congrats to Lyn too, so congrats Lyn, he did so well and three is a great number to have already, it's like a big thing to get to three too. Hope you've had a little celebration there.

Thanks Amelia (and CGG too). As you've said it wasn't the classic match we'd hoped for but I was pleased with his performance and relieved with the win - especially after his loss at the FO. Won't be buying the dvd this year though. lol
    You must be disappointed Amelia but he's had a fantastic fortnight - peaked a little too soon and I think Djoko probably benefitted from seeing how well he played against Andy and so was better prepared.
    Fed was also very gracious - they do seem a lot more relaxed around each other these days - the niggle which used to be very apparent seems to have gone now.
    What a shambles the presentation delay was though.
    And there are no words for Lewis Hamilton - well there are but none I'd dare put down in black and white. lol
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodbye Wimbledon! Hello new thread!
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    Goodbye Wimbledon! Hello new thread!

Yes - bye to Wimbledon.

If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....

And now back to Queens before the focus of the tennis world moves towards North America.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    Arghhhhh Nole reaffirms once again why he's my favorite and why I love him so much :kitty::kitty:. Loved, loved. ... what he said about Serena today, what a lovely guy :).

I hope someone films the video of their winner dance tonight :D and makes it available for all of us :p:D:)

Winners' dance?

They haven't since 1976..
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I should know - I got resale seats right behind the royal box yesterday. Tracey Austin was looking very smart in her purple dress - she has the sort of class Lewis Hamilton cannot buy. She brought her son as her guest - a nice touch. Most of the other ex women champs bar Ann Jones had female guests.

Wait, did you get a resale for the ladies final? When did you get that? What was it like being there?
This discussion has been closed.