Options

Digital Spy Beta Version

Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok...what's occuring? Selected the Beta version. Tried to access the forums and it keeps throwing me out. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't even know a beta version existed!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Ok...what's occuring? Selected the Beta version. Tried to access the forums and it keeps throwing me out. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Clear your cookies.

To fix it in firefox it's Options > Privacy > remove individual cookies, then remove the Digital Spy ones
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We just have to use the old website until that Digital Spy beta opt in bug is fixed, Mind the look didn't give it better content either.
  • Options
    TijerTijer Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    new site look was way too much scrolling to find what you want to see anyway....
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of all the website I look at, Digital Spy is the hardest to use.

Pages taking ages to open, pages freezing, pages opening with no scroll bar - endless, endless, endless stress and problems.

BBC webpages - open perfectly every single time in 0.001 seconds, no freezing, scroll bar always there etc etc etc.

Is there anything I can do?
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Yes, this happened to me. I cleared my cookies and that fixed it. ^_^
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Pages taking ages to open, pages freezing, pages opening with no scroll bar - endless, endless, endless stress and problems.

BBC webpages - open perfectly every single time in 0.001 seconds, no freezing, scroll bar always there etc etc etc.

Use mobile version of the website I use it all the time its much better for most things. Works reasonably fast.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Clear your cookies.

To fix it in firefox it's Options > Privacy > remove individual cookies, then remove the Digital Spy ones

You don't need to remove them all, there's 2 or 3 that are named Beta opt in.. Just remove those and it works.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Just tried the Beta version on my iPad.

Pretty unusable, it was pretty awful before, primarily because of adverts loading taking forever, but now it's even worse, still loads slowly and the articles and images are huge so you can read anything at a glance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Clear your cookies.

Thanks mate. It was Firefox I was using.

Oh gosh, it's happening with Chrome now. As others have said, will stick to the old version for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty unusable, it was pretty awful before, primarily because of adverts loading taking forever, but now it's even worse, still loads slowly and the articles and images are huge so you can read anything at a glance.

Yeap same experience. Huge pics, lots of scrolling...no clear overview. Don't like it. Perhaps they they think we are short sighted and need everything huge.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

I haven't tried the beta, but like you I find DS a ball ache on ipad, especially when writing posts. The tool buttons such as Bold, Underline, quote and so on in the message window are next to useless with the ipads copy/paste function popping up obscuring them when you tap a word or paragraph to highlight.

User friendly does not spring to mind.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beta broke firefox for me too.

Nice to see they bothered to test even the basics (switching from main to forums) before releasing the beta (which I think looks horrible - far to much wasted space/scrolling). This is even worse than the change from the old blue colour scheme.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I use Mercury browser on my iPad. Has Adblock functions :-)
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member

Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm convinced Digital Spy has a team of designers who constantly feel the need to redesign the site to demonstrate their worth.
  • Options
    treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Whoever designed the Beta DS needs sacking. What an overblown mess of a site.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stato77 wrote: »
    I'm convinced Digital Spy has a team of designers who constantly feel the need to redesign the site to demonstrate their worth.

..and in doing so proving they aren't worth anything.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no idea. I have a poor phoneline broadband connection, presumably this has something to do with it? However having exactly the same problems as you. In fact its an absolute nightmare at times-it can take me ten minutes to type a couple of small paragraphs at times. I have just had to unstick the problem of being perpetually looped back to the beta site (which by the way is ridiculously elaborate in presentation itself).

I don't understand the technicalities-I assume its because there are so many pictures and elaborate ads?- but its a poor show when peoples experience of the site can be so poor. Its got worse over the last six months for sure.

I do hope DS takes note of this thread. If Id spent any money accessing this site Id be asking for it back ;-)
  • Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the sentiment that the designers who made this need sacking. I don't even understand how this can be considered a "site". I mean for a start there is no visual hierarchy to the content, it's all on the same level with no separation between the categories. The site focuses far too heavily on imagery which are huge and take up a lot of the space, I mean just take a look at this: http://i.imgur.com/TN0k2QF.png. How on earth you can release a site with that much wasted space is an amazing achievement. Congratulations to the Digital Spy designers, the worst redesign of 2015.

There are also odd widths: http://i.imgur.com/ptmki4F.png of the two images which is very odd and there is a LOT of whitespace. The current digitalspy has some but no way near as much as this site.

Awful, and if this is published as the new design and is forced, I will not be coming back. I am glad they are doing a beta however instead of forcing it upon us straight away.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Yes, same!
    Pissed me off too because that shouldn't happen!

And the BETA site looks HUGE and on hell of a mess.
    I really hope they leave it as it is or i think i will be done on DS and stick to the forums entirely and get my TV and movie news elsewhere!
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not leave the website as it is?

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to change it.

If the team at DS cannot stick with what they have instead of changing it, they either need to be replaced or close down the entire thing.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I'm actually worried this site will be released.

I love visiting Digital Spy but if that's how the site's going to be, it might as well be closed down. I don't visit the BBC News website anymore because it's so bad.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good gawd, it is awful, never mind not being able to avoid it now without clearing cookies AND being sent there every time I try to access the forums.

Truly epically awful, and to go with the freezing on the forums whenever certain banner ads appear, I will start to question if it is worth it anymore.
  • Options
    TijerTijer Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    i visit ds about 10-15 times a day.. but if they insist on going to this new design i will go elsewhere. Already they are copying articles from other sites, the site has seriously gone downhill over the past few years, since that magazine company took it over....