BT Sport Shambles (Showcase) - BT shafts Sky/Virgin viewers

Comments

• scurryscurry Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Picture quality looks very poor on my Freeview?
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,780
    Forum Member
    Studio didnt look too bad but the match looks pretty poor PQ, turned it off, would be painful to watch for 90 minutes.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the problem.... A broadcaster wants to put his channel on the platform which has the most TV sets in the UK by a factor of about 4+ than the next platform.... And 93% population coverage and is FTA .

Why should a commercial broadcaster have to make the signal available to everyone and on every platform ....

How does that logic explain BT making the match available to Virgin viewers then?
  • Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    The PQ on Sky pre match was pretty awful as per usual. Daren't look to see how piss awful it looks in SD on Freeview.

I'm watching it in slightly rough looking 720p on Fox Sports on Kodi, but at least it's not hurting my eyes.
  • EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    arunan22 wrote: »
    As a Sky customer I don't see the big deal - 95% of the population have access to freeview. I don't see why BT should invest in a separate channel on Sky just to please that 1% of the population that have Sky and don't have freeview for a channel that will actually give people less reason to subscribe properly.

The problem is that they don't need a separate channel, they just need to unencrypt the one they have. Which is what they have done for Virgin customers but not for one's on Sky which is just a frustrating and I imagine purely petulant move on BT's behalf. Not that Sky haven't done stuff like this in the past mind. But it's annoying as it goes back on the promise made to unecrypt on Sky and Virgin but in the end only doing it on the latter.
  • ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that they don't need a separate channel, they just need to unencrypt the one they have. Which is what they have done for Virgin customers but not for one's on Sky which is just a frustrating and I imagine purely petulant move on BT's behalf. Not that Sky haven't done stuff like this in the past mind. But it's annoying as it goes back on the promise made to unecrypt on Sky and Virgin but in the end only doing it on the latter.

where was that promise?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sideloaded the BT Sport app on to my Amazon Fire box and the picture quality is quite good.

Used Chromecast before, but that only has 60hz output and it flickers. The Amazon box has the option for 50hz and it's much smoother.

Luckily I have a daughter with BT, so I use her sign in and pay her the £5 supplement.
    Forum Member
    ianlawn wrote: »
    where was that promise?

Promise was probably a bit of a strong word. But in a reply to a query on BT customer forum on this issue, the official BT response was that BT Showcase was not on Sky/Virgin etc as these providers would have the channel unencrypted.
    Can't find the link right now, but revisited it again earlier today so know I'm not imagining things! Will post later if I find it. I know by no means a concrete promise but shows that there was at some point most definitely an intent from BT unencrypt on the Sky platform.

It's not the end of the world it's not on Sky, but is just frustrating especially when BT seemingly have no problem unencrypted the channel on Virgin.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't too long ago that people were saying how Sky were being petty in mentioning BT in the ad campaigns. It wasn't too long ago that BT were being hailed as the all fair sports broadcaster of the people!

Sky labelled them a wolf in sheeps clothing...

Hopefully this shows how they're all as bad as each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promise was probably a bit of a strong word. But in a reply to a query on BT customer forum on this issue, the official BT response was that BT Showcase was not on Sky/Virgin etc as these providers would have the channel unencrypted.
    Can't find the link right now, but revisited it again earlier today so know I'm not imagining things! Will post later if I find it. I know by no means a concrete promise but shows that there was at some point most definitely an intent from BT unencrypt on the Sky platform.

It's not the end of the world it's not on Sky, but is just frustrating especially when BT seemingly have no problem unencrypted the channel on Virgin.

I would be interested to see, i think you could be mistaken. i had a quick look and saw this
    https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-Showcase-on-sky/td-p/1513744

There is a clear difference between virgin and sky. bt and sky compete for sports. BT have promised it wont be on sky or itv, also sky have been very derogatory about the champions league. Sky have blocked channels for bt and let them on virgin
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I've sideloaded the BT Sport app on to my Amazon Fire box and the picture quality is quite good.

Used Chromecast before, but that only has 60hz output and it flickers. The Amazon box has the option for 50hz and it's much smoother.

Luckily I have a daughter with BT, so I use her sign in and pay her the £5 supplement.

How did you get it to work? I sideloaded the app a while ago and it's never worked.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    I am in a freeview lite area so no showcase, does this mean the only way I can watch the Champions League is to pay BT?

I thought UEFA wanted the final free to all not free to those only in areas with a full suite of freeview channels. When did UEFA change this?
    Forum Member
    I would be interested to see, i think you could be mistaken. i had a quick look and saw this
    https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-Showcase-on-sky/td-p/1513744

There is a clear difference between virgin and sky. bt and sky compete for sports. BT have promised it wont be on sky or itv, also sky have been very derogatory about the champions league. Sky have blocked channels for bt and let them on virgin

Oops, I apologise that was what I had seen as well, reading it quickly thought the initial response saying that it would be made available for Sky was a BT person, obviously was wrong. My mistake!
    And I understand what you're saying and as I said in my initial post that this sort of tactic is far from alien to Sky, so I do understand why BT have taken the decision they have tonight.
    Just a shame for the public as a whole though, with two organisations going at it hammer and tongs in the sports market resulting in prices flying and the product for a subscriber to just one service becoming significantly poorer. Whilst FTA sports coverage continues to take a battering whilst the big money is thrown around by Sky and BT. So much for competition working...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, I apologise that was what I had seen as well, reading it quickly thought the initial response saying that it would be made available for Sky was a BT person, obviously was wrong. My mistake!
    And I understand what you're saying and as I said in my initial post that this sort of tactic is far from alien to Sky, so I do understand why BT have taken the decision they have tonight.
    Just a shame for the public as a whole though, with two organisations going at it hammer and tongs in the sports market resulting in prices flying and the product for a subscriber to just one service becoming significantly poorer. Whilst FTA sports coverage continues to take a battering whilst the big money is thrown around by Sky and BT. So much for competition working...

indeed though if you get bt internet and sky tv the price for alot more sports content hasnt increased by that much.

It could be argued that sky have saved loads of money in rights gone to bt yet they still keep increasing prices
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky and BT don't seem to get on with each other and I don't think they ever will as Sky are not happy that for once someone like BT are really doing there best to take Sky on.
    PQ seems a little better on the BT Sports Europe HD channel then it dose on BT Sports Showcase but I can't say the PQ on BT Sports Showcase is that poor but the sound seems a little louder on BT Sports Europe HD..

Darren
    Forum Member
    indeed though if you get bt internet and sky tv the price for alot more sports content hasnt increased by that much.

It could be argued that sky have saved loads of money in rights gone to bt yet they still keep increasing prices

The biggest mistake Sky have made was massively overpaying for the next batch of Premier League rights which has meant they have put their prices up not down despite the loss of the Champions League and now the next Ashes series.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well. I'm enjoying an enthralling cup tie on Sky Sports instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest mistake Sky have made was massively overpaying for the next batch of Premier League rights which has meant they have put their prices up not down despite the loss of the Champions League and now the next Ashes series.

its hard to know what can be done sport channels in uk are totally dependent on PL and sky knew that. There is no likely way to reduce the cost. I suppose more games, PPV or season tickets to all a clubs games could do something
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    I am in a freeview lite area so no showcase, does this mean the only way I can watch the Champions League is to pay BT?

I thought UEFA wanted the final free to all not free to those only in areas with a full suite of freeview channels. When did UEFA change this?
    I doubt UEFA know anything about Freeview Lite or to be honest are bothered about it. If BT does get too negative a reaction over this situation, I guess it could always stream the FTA matches on its website, maybe get viewers to register so they can target them with marketing.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    How did you get it to work? I sideloaded the app a while ago and it's never worked.

You need the new update with BT Sport Europe and I use the Wukong Remote on my Android tablet to navigate.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    You need the new update with BT Sport Europe and I use the Wukong Remote on my Android tablet to navigate.

Ah cheers, my biggest problem has been not being able to log in as I only have the FireTV remote.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's business. Why would they promote a rival TV platform?

They want to get you off your sky box and realising that their is more TV for free than you think ...and well if you want extra then top it up for less with BT TV.

Some people need to realise sky use commercial tricks like Sky Sports 5 last year and the broadband contract.

This is going to happen more and more.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real problem is that everything is only cheaper on quad play.

Like BT Mobile. You get a cracking deal if your with them. Same with BT TV - if you want just some of the better channels and happy with BT Sport and Eurosport you get a great price on it.

Plus the App on your device when out and about.

Of course sky will with their mobile service no doubt try something similar bet with the sports App for people who have their other services.

I'm not a fan at all as I like having my eggs in different baskets. Problem is that doing this is expensive.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    People are missing the point here. Up until this season, every home in the country could get the 'free' game. What we have now is a situation where BT, due to UEFA's ineptitude, will be allowed to alienate at least 3million homes from the 'free' matches. Loads of homes, including mine, do not receive the full compliment of Freeview services, so what do you suggest those homes do?

I'm a BTS subscriber (via Sky - won't be moving as BT TV is dire at best...), so it's not really an issue for me. But my point is quite correct.
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    People are missing the point here. Up until this season, every home in the country could get the 'free' game. What we have now is a situation where BT, due to UEFA's ineptitude, will be allowed to alienate at least 3million homes from the 'free' matches. Loads of homes, including mine, do not receive the full compliment of Freeview services, so what do you suggest those homes do?

I'm a BTS subscriber (via Sky - won't be moving as BT TV is dire at best...), so it's not really an issue for me. But my point is quite correct.

3 million sounds surprisingly high - where did you get that figure from? (Not disagreeing btw - just curious)