Options

Will Kat & Alfie return to EE next year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't return. Their entire second stint was appalling from start to finish. I certainly haven't missed them.

I really enjoyed Kat throughout 2013, she was very watchable and one of the few positives of the Newman era.

From April this year when Kat's depression/suicide story picked up I think they got really good again, Kat especially - the convent episode I thought was exceptional.

Neither Kat nor Alfie reached the heights of their first time on the show and 2010 - 2012 wasn't great but I don't think their return was as disastrous as some people say. The period before they left again showed DTC can give them good writing and that they can still shine when the material is there.

I still think Kat is one of EE'S greatest characters and I really hope she comes back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I hope so, it aint the same without Kat imo.
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    We need Kat back.

Agreed. Kat's a great character - one of EE'S best.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked Kat and think Jessie is a great actress but have to say I haven't really missed her. I haven't seen any scenes or storylines that I've thought would benefit from having her (or Alfie) around. I miss characters like Zainab, Janine and Michael Moon - the soap needs Zee a lot more than it needs the Kat and Alfie circus back in town.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do miss Jessie Wallace to be honest. Her performance in the convent episode has never ever left my mind. I thought she was sensational and it's the only time I have ever watched a soap and simply wanted to cry my eyes out. A very remarkable actress.
  • Options
    SumnerSumner Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I expect Kat will return next year without Alfie. They must have given him a brain tumour for some reason and very foolishly he is chosing to go without treatment. The spin off will need something significant to occur and Alfie's death will most likely be used as the climatic finale.

This would be a smart move. Kat is a very interesting character who shines away from Alfie. He's been a deadweight to her ever since they made the mistake of putting them together and is very annoying. Jessie Wallace is great but she needs a better leading man. Once Alfie is out of the picture there's plenty you can do with Kat. I'd love to see her return as a widow.
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting too worried yet, "filming will start in Autumn", Autumn ends in November, got another two months until we start questioning claims. Kat returning as a widow would be a great move for her character, it's time for Alfie to go now she's one of EE's greatest characters and he brings her down.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not getting too worried yet, "filming will start in Autumn", Autumn ends in November, got another two months until we start questioning claims. Kat returning as a widow would be a great move for her character, it's time for Alfie to go now she's one of EE's greatest characters and he brings her down.

Indeed but November is when panto season begins. Both of them are tied to panto this season.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I don't think Alfie ruins Kat at all, they are a good couple imo and have both done plenty of damage to each other and are still together despite it.

It's the WRITERS that ruin characters, there was a golden opportunity last year to make something out of Aleks and Alfie's feud and make Aleks the firestarter but no, they made Alfie the firestarter instead just so they had a plot device to split him and Kat and then when they did split they weren't apart that long and Kat went from telling Alfie 'absolutely no way' to almost begging him to take her back.

It is likely that Alfie will die because of the brain tumour and if they come back there's not much to make a story out of for them as it's all been done and the splitting/reconciling thing has been done to death and if one of them has to die then I suppose it's got to be Alfie as he is the weaker half of the couple.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs at least one of her sisters around IMO. Little Mo, Lynne or Belinda. The Slaters have only been about her or Stacey for ages. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see them have another close family member around.
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed but November is when panto season begins. Both of them are tied to panto this season.

25 days of September, 31 of October, 30 of November, we've got time! They might have rehearsals in November but I guarantee we'll hear of something (whether they're going ahead with filming or cancelling it) by the end of the month, if not mid October
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Kat (and to a lesser extent Alfie too - by lesser extent I mean I wouldn't mind if he didn't come back but do kind of like him too) however I can't say I've missed them being there at all really so if they return hopefully it will feel good to have them back rather than a disappointment - maybe they have to come back for me to realise how much ive missed them (I'll see)
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I cannot understand the confusions the confirmation about their return after the spin-off was announced at the same time as the spin-off when it was announced that Kat and Alfire would be returning. The only speculation/hearsay is from people who believe that this ha changed since then despite there being no confirmation that it has changed.
  • Options
    TroianTroian Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I forget where I read it now, but there was an article last month saying Jessie Wallace and Shane Richie had now left EE to pursue other projects. I don't think they'll be coming back next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs at least one of her sisters around IMO. Little Mo, Lynne or Belinda. The Slaters have only been about her or Stacey for ages. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see them have another close family member around.

I think they should consider recasting Zoe, especially now she has a twin brother to meet. If they did bring back one of Kat's sisters I think Little Mo would make the most sense as she had a real nice bond with Kat, was once very popular and is connected to Billy too.

With the creation of the son though it looks like they're more interested in building a new family for Kat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot understand the confusions the confirmation about their return after the spin-off was announced at the same time as the spin-off when it was announced that Kat and Alfire would be returning. The only speculation/hearsay is from people who believe that this ha changed since then despite there being no confirmation that it has changed.

Somebody pointed out that Jake Wood has already signed his contract for his return and this was announced at the same time his break was announced.

Nothing has been said about new contracts for Jessie or Shane so this makes it seem as though their break is indefinite and may even mean they're gone forever. It still looks like nobody knows for sure.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've heard/seen:

They're only taking a break
    Shane has confirmed he hasn't left and that he will be returning.
    DTC said Kat and Alfie will be gone for a while but will return.
    Shane also said some dates have been arranged.

Jessie has been quiet, but I can see them both returning.

Shane Richie also posting #WalfordForever on Twitter could suggest he's in it for the long run. :)