Options

Glee - Season 1 (E4 Pace) (Merged) ** No Spoilers **

Comments

• Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great episode tonight.

They didn't thrust the issues in your face too much although I thought Artie laid it on a bit too thick when the girl admitted she was faking the stutter.

Good to see Brittany get some more lines although I'll never believe she's really that thick.

A good mix of songs too, but as some people said would have preferred 'Defying Gravity' to have been a staged song rather than a rehearsal song.

The whole problem for me with the Artie/Tina confict was the actor playing Artie can just go around the corner and get out of the chair.

Despite that, a great episode.

I loved Brittany and actually yes I can believe she's that thick.

As for Defying Gravity.

Kurt's voice much purer but it does sound better sung by a girl.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching Glee since the beginning and think it's great not only because of the songs but it's actually quite funny. This week's episode was very good although I preferred Dancing with Myself to Defying Gravity.

Anyone think Lea Michele is a shoo in for Elphaba if they ever made a film version of Wicked, she's mentioned before it's her dream role and I could see her as Elphaba.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    "Mr Shu, kids are busier than when you came here. We've got homework, and football, teen pregnancy, lunch…"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    btw, for people at US pace that are trying to remember the current episode at E4 pace, Fox has really great "glee-winds" on youtube. Here's the one for Episode 9, the one that just aired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiunW6-18Q
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Brittany get some more lines although I'll never believe she's really that thick.
    She's not. She's even thicker. She's a fantastic character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member

I loved Brittany and actually yes I can believe she's that thick.

"I find.....recipes....confusing."

Best line of the episode :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really loved the scenes with Becky and Sue (and Sue's sister).

I get really annoyed with Finn - he infuriates me. His constant whining and moaning etc - Puck was right. And he has the most peculiar walk. When he got up from the wheelchair in a huff, he was almost horizontal.
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's episode was a top one :D

It was good that we could finally focus more on Archie as a character and his performance of dancing with myself was great.

I was so happy "Defying Gravity" was in this ep as it's one of my favourite musical songs of all time, and ironically the original version is sung mainly by Idina Menzel(who looks a bit like Rachel) and by Kristin Chenoweth(who has already starred as April in Glee).

Some funny lines too. I remember when Puck said "I'm just really stressed about the bake sale" I was like "What the..?" and Will had on that exact expression,lol.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the song Defying Gravity, I had never heard of the song before I heard it on the soundtrack, I was expecting that version on the show but it was still good the way they did it although it would have been nice for Kurt to sing it, as much as I love Lea's voice I do think Rachel sings too many songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I've stuck with the programme all the way till now, just hoping that it'll get better as the cast and crew get more experience - but I can't be doing with the terrible miming anymore and not one song has achieved the sense of joy and pure zest for life that DSB did in the first episode. I do like Sue, and I like the whole concept but the execution is poor. I'm giving up on it.:(
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nights episode was the best so far. I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great episode tonight.

They didn't thrust the issues in your face too much although I thought Artie laid it on a bit too thick when the girl admitted she was faking the stutter.

I think a lot of people feel like that! But even Kevin McHale who plays Artie thought it was a bit ott!
    The whole problem for me with the Artie/Tina confict was the actor playing Artie can just go around the corner and get out of the chair.

Yeah, but you have to remember its a show, and not real life! And in the show, the character, Artie, is not getting out of the chair... unless they do a dream sequence where he gets to bust some moves (as, ironically, he's one of the best dancers on the cast!)
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad im not alone in thinking that last nights episode was the best so far!!! makes up for last weeks being the worst episode!!!

I actually cried a little bit at the end for the first time :(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Boat wrote: »
    "I find.....recipes....confusing."

Best line of the episode :D

Yes I liked that line too, it was a bit like her 'I know nothing' line the other week.
  • Options
    Catsyj1980Catsyj1980 Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member

But the character can't, i don't really get your point there. Do you mean you think the role should have gone to someone who really was in a wheelchair? If so why? Surely the best actor for the job should get it, which in this case was obviously Kevin McHale?
  • Options
    Catsyj1980Catsyj1980 Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    MickEden wrote: »
    Well, I've stuck with the programme all the way till now, just hoping that it'll get better as the cast and crew get more experience - but I can't be doing with the terrible miming anymore and not one song has achieved the sense of joy and pure zest for life that DSB did in the first episode. I do like Sue, and I like the whole concept but the execution is poor. I'm giving up on it.:(

Oh well if its not for you then thats your call, glad you gave it a chance unlike alot of the people who criticise it.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole problem for me with the Artie/Tina conflict was the actor playing Artie can just go around the corner and get out of the chair.
    I was under the impression that the actor who plays Artie is really disabled?
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catsyj1980 wrote: »
    Do you mean you think the role should have gone to someone who really was in a wheelchair? If so why? Surely the best actor for the job should get it, which in this case was obviously Kevin McHale?

They did audition people in wheelchairs, and it would have been nice if they found just the right person. But realistically it's hard enough trying to cast someone who can act and sing. Trying to find someone who can act and sing and follow choreography and looks high school age and happens to be paraplegic? Very difficult. If that perfect person auditions, they should get the role, but if not, they shouldn't give it to an inferior performer just because they happen to be disabled. Many shows just don't have any disabled characters because of these difficulties, but surely it's a step in the right direction to have some mainstream representation even if by an able-bodied actor.
    I was under the impression that the actor who plays Artie is really disabled?

He's not.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with this episode tonight - a vast improvement on last week's.

Lots of great moments but loved the story with Kurt and his dad - so well written - and Proud Mary at the end was terrific ... as were the 'diva-off' and Sue's story with Becky/her sister.

So glad Glee's back on form! :)
  • Options
    RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey Mick

As Catsy has said "at least you gave it a shot" which is fair but I would like to add, you may as well give the last few episodes a view if you've went this far :D

Raven
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    btw, for people at US pace that are trying to remember the current episode at E4 pace, Fox has really great "glee-winds" on youtube. Here's the one for Episode 9, the one that just aired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiunW6-18Q

I like it . :D Hadn't spotted those before mrkite, thanks.

Raven.

(Will have to hold a benefit tonight for you - bet that ages me. ;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best shows in the series and maybe explains why last weeks show lacked a certain paz-azz, it set things up nicely for a great episode.

D.G is certainly one of the songs of the series and the Kurt story around the song was a nice touch and a subtle dig at main street america.

This show works on soo many levels but has to be kept in mind it is prime time tv and cant upset too many people or will go the same way as "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"

Looking forward to next weeks show. :)
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Blah123 wrote: »

I get really annoyed with Finn - he infuriates me. His constant whining and moaning etc - Puck was right.

I feel sorry for him .... being led to believe that Quinn is carrying his child is cruel (ditto Will being led to believe that his wife is having his baby) but then Quinn is also giving him grief about not doing enough to face up to his parental responsibilities ... and now Puck's having a go at him too - when both of them know full well that the baby's not his.

I really like the characters of Quinn and Puck, and think the whole baby storyline is interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out, but they lost a bit of sympathy with me this episode with their attitude towards their patsy Finn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raven wrote: »
    (Will have to hold a benefit tonight for you - bet that ages me. ;) )

The fact that I've had this nick since 1994 ages me just as much.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re the miming - the cast do actually sing each song when the show is recorded, so they are not actually miming and are really giving it their all and are clearly very talented.

At first when I spotted the lip synching problem it did put me off, as I hate miming and I'm always watching out for it - but that's not really what we've got on Glee! When I started reading more about the show, I realised that the lip synching problem was the result of how the show is marketed in the USA, where after every episode you could buy the main episode songs by download. The 'problem' is that sometime we actually hear the studio recorded downloadable version of a song and the tracks you can buy are the ones that you might see lip synching problems. Once I realised this, from then on I stopped watching the singer's lips so closely and started to enjoy the show much more and wouldn't miss it now.

BTW I have all the music from the first 13 episodes, not just the official downloads and tbh I rarely play DSB now. :)